• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Minelab Manticore

I seem to always see issues with these darn tests. Who, besides beach or maybe relic hunters, searches in all-metal mode? This is why I want to see real in the wild hunts.

If they were in Oklahoma they should have made a jog over to Kansas. My natural test garden city park would have been a real test. But then they may not like the results.

Couldn't make much out of the French video. I'm guessing the Manticore went deeper?

Regarding the French video:

I translated the text using a Chrome translate extension. It seems that this You Tuber is a Minelab Rep, sells Minelab detectors, and can't sell XP detectors due to being sued by XP, and losing the case. Serious objectivity red flag?

Other comments seem to suggest the D2 is not set up properly for depth.

Further to that, you can "max out" a detector to get maximum depth while doing the wiggle over a contrived target, but how it will perform in real world detecting?

Last edited:
Reminds me of this time when another well known Youtube tester put the D2 at 0 recovery speed and the Equinox at a 4 recovery speed and then declared the D2 was deeper...

The manipulation of the croc shoe moving the bottlecap closer was another great example.

Reminds me of this time when another well known Youtube tester put the D2 at 0 recovery speed and the Equinox at a 4 recovery speed and then declared the D2 was deeper...

I've seen similar antics. For example, deliberately choosing a weighted SMF mode that fails a contrived air test, but not showing the detector's other weighted SMF mode that the tester knows will pass the test. It's a classic example of, "What's not said or shown, is just as important as what is said and shown".

Last edited:
Minelab Manticore Tour Continues:

If your in the United States, here are 4 more chances to see the Minelab Manticore in person:

Denton’s Civil War and Relic Hunt
October 1st & 2nd 2022
Rockingham, North Carolina

Central Florida Sunshine and Silver Hunt
October 8th-9th 2022
Debary, Florida

Treasure Fest V
October 15th-16th 2022
Murfreesboro, Arkansas

DIGSTOCK IV
October 28th-30th 2022
Chazy, New York

I heard that the Manticore has begun to arrive in very small quantity's?
I also heard that low-life scalpers are re-selling them, and people are paying almost double the retail price?
WTH?
Anyone else heard this?
Im not sure I believe it to be honest.

I heard that the Manticore has begun to arrive in very small quantity's?
I also heard that low-life scalpers are re-selling them, and people are paying almost double the retail price?
WTH?
Anyone else heard this?
Im not sure I believe it to be honest.

It happens. Happened to the Equinox. Fleabay had bidding wars. I ordered two Nox's when they first came out. The other person changed their mind so i told the supplier to pass one down to the next person in line instead of cashing in on a payday.

I watch the vid on 2d tdi the nail is what interest me showing on the ferrous line and the false on the non-ferrous line hummmmm .The point is I am seeing two targets good and bad the guy seem to go though it very quickly like he really didn't want to show that . As far as the good targets any metal detector would see them .What I want to see is how trash looks like with coins the nail is very revealing nail false showing on the non-ferrous line .sube

Hmmm. So that 2D screen is basically a ferrous/nonferrous indicator that many other detectors already have. Yawn.

Also, am I missing something obvious? I mean, why did the nails have a high ID?

Because there falsing high he says they don't come in there gone but even the bent nail is falsing tiny chirps but enough to ID it at 89. sube

Another thing I will say it is acting just like the ctx the nail is falsing off the tip giving a 77 for ID a clad dime gives a 78 on the manticore .
The ctx gives a 40 to 41 ID which is 2 points below a dime which is 43 now the bent nail gave a 89 and the ctx would give a 47 to 48 ferrous coin mode which is out of the coin vdi .
Why is the manticore giving a 89 that's in the coin ID zone. Like I said hummm sube

Last edited:
Because there falsing high he says they don't come in there gone but even the bent nail is falsing tiny chirps but enough to ID it at 89. sube

I can see that happening for one of the nails, but he tested 4 nails, and they all ID'd as a high conductor.

sube: said:
As far as the good targets any metal detector would see them .What I want to see is how trash looks like with coins the nail is very revealing nail false showing on the non-ferrous line. sube

Why is the manticore giving a 89 that's in the coin ID zone. Like I said hummm sube
Ferrous objects still have some degree of 'conductivity', and that can be enhanced based on how man shaped the Ferrous object. Also, the orientation of the Ferrous object to the search coil, the Ferrous object's shape, such as a straight Iron Nail, a bent Nail, and the ends-of-the-Nail with them having a Blob Head to a 90° Flat Head.

Rusty Tin and small Tin Shards are a real problem for many detectors, too, and sometimes these Visual TID's are more challenging with a Double-D coil than with a Concentric coil, but, again, it also depends upon the detector's circuitry design.

I've been detecting since March of '65, using DD coils since Compass brought them out with the Yukon series in the very early '70s, favoring Concentric coils and mainly Coin Hunting until July of '83 when I made a detector change and started Relic Hunting ghost towns and similar ferrous-debris old sites. From prior experience and then with the increased amount of Iron Nails and other odd-shaped Ferrous debris, I was able to audibly classify[/ui] the majority of the Ferrous junk I encountered. No, we can't get it all, but it was very helpful when I came across crimp-on Bottle Caps, shards of Rusty Tin, and most typical Iron !!!!.

I will add that it seems to be a bit more challenging with many of the more 'modern' detectors, especially with the visual Target ID for many because they are too interested in the visual display and haven't learned, or forgot, how to rely on an audio response .... combined with coil sweep control to 'classify' probable Ferrous targets. I usually just audibly-classify Iron but most of the time it is also visibly-classified[/u] with a good detector.

We didn't have Iron Audio Volume until just several years ago and that, too, can be helpful in 'audibly-classifying' likely Ferrous. It can be tougher in an environment with a lot of dense Ferrous debris that is closely-position to cause partial good-target masking, but learned it can help.

Monte

Back
Top Bottom