• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Legend Setup for Deeper Coins

FLOOD

Forum Supporter
Could use some settings advice from experienced Legend users.

I'm currently detecting an old baseball field. The soil content is pretty clean, very little junk metal, or rocks. The grass was rehabbed several years ago, and probably a bunch of coins were scraped out at the time, but I know there are older coins still there, as I found a half dozen oldies (early wheat, Buff Nickel and some silver quarters) yesterday. I'm thinking more may be a little further down under the rehabbed lawn and topsoil.

I set my Legend up in Park, 4 kHz, Recovery 4, IF 4, St 4, 6 tone, ground balanced, etc. I'm using the stock coil.

Can someone give me good recommendation on some setup variations that might get me detecting a little deeper in the soil?

Thanks

You probably already know this, but first go into the All Metal Disc pattern and make sure there isn't any metal under the coil before ground balancing.

For more depth, use 4 khz or Beach Mode MW. Drop the IF and recovery speed to 1.

You probably already know this, but first go into the All Metal Disc pattern and make sure there isn't any metal under the coil before ground balancing.

For more depth, use 4 khz or Beach Mode MW. Drop the IF and recovery speed to 1.

ok, heading out to the spot in 10 minutes, and will try the setup changes. thanks

Made IF and Recovery adjustments as suggested, and had another good day of finds. This is probably the cleanest piece of land I have ever detected. I did get tricked on a handful of bottle caps and pop tops, but, for an old ballfield, the ground is remarkable clear of loads of junk. Makes the detecting so much better!

The lower the frequency, the easier it is to get tricked by bottle caps. Especially the non-corroded and aluminum caps. You could avoid almost all caps, tabs, and foil, by cherry picking for coins, but of course, most gold jewelry and deep coins will be missed.

Are you preferring the 6" coil, or the 11" coil, for those type of sites?

The lower the frequency, the easier it is to get tricked by bottle caps. Especially the non-corroded and aluminum caps. You could avoid almost all caps, tabs, and foil, by cherry picking for coins, but of course, most gold jewelry and deep coins will be missed.

Are you preferring the 6" coil, or the 11" coil, for those type of sites?

Def the 11 inch coil because there's a lot of ground to cover. It's heavier to swing for hours on end, but it is working really good for me. I think it is staying put for awhile.

I won't be using either of those coils for the next 5 months. Stupid winter! lol

On second thought, I won't even be using them after that. Once I get the 9.5 x 5 coil, it's not coming off.

Back
Top Bottom