x-terra 705 users must read

sgtwilks

Forum Supporter
I did not know this and ive been passing over targets +16 to+28

If you are passing over targets represented by the X-TERRA 70 and the
705 with a numeric TID of +2, +4 and +6, you risk missing rose gold
rings, platinum rings, white gold rings and some foreign coins.
If you are passing over targets represented with a TID of +6, +8 and +10,
you risk missing more white gold rings, more platinum rings, thin yellow
gold rings, lead and brass shells and the U.S. nickel three-cent piece.
If you set your detector to reject TID numbers +14 and +16, you will
risk missing very thin silver coins, the $1.00 U.S. Gold coin, thin yellow
gold rings, Shield nickels, Liberty V nickels, 40% silver War nickels, many
wedding bands, 10kt class rings, tokens and more foreign coins.
If you set your notches to reject +16, +18 and +20, you will risk missing
gold rings, tokens, various gold jewelry, 14kt rings, brass, the U.S. $2.50
gold piece, Indian Head cents, Flying Eagle cents, more foreign coins
and even large 10kt class rings.
If you rejected notch segments +20, +22, +24 and +26, you risk missing
more Indian Head pennies, the U.S. silver three-cent piece, the U.S.
$5 Gold piece, large gold rings, small silver pieces, gold jewelry and
medallions, and still more old tokens.

Now I thinking about all those hard hitting + 20's I passed over. You are right dig it all.

I did not know this and ive been passing over targets +16 to+28

If you are passing over targets represented by the X-TERRA 70 and the
705 with a numeric TID of +2, +4 and +6, you risk missing rose gold
rings, platinum rings, white gold rings and some foreign coins.
If you are passing over targets represented with a TID of +6, +8 and +10,
you risk missing more white gold rings, more platinum rings, thin yellow
gold rings, lead and brass shells and the U.S. nickel three-cent piece.
If you set your detector to reject TID numbers +14 and +16, you will
risk missing very thin silver coins, the $1.00 U.S. Gold coin, thin yellow
gold rings, Shield nickels, Liberty V nickels, 40% silver War nickels, many
wedding bands, 10kt class rings, tokens and more foreign coins.
If you set your notches to reject +16, +18 and +20, you will risk missing
gold rings, tokens, various gold jewelry, 14kt rings, brass, the U.S. $2.50
gold piece, Indian Head cents, Flying Eagle cents, more foreign coins
and even large 10kt class rings.
If you rejected notch segments +20, +22, +24 and +26, you risk missing
more Indian Head pennies, the U.S. silver three-cent piece, the U.S.
$5 Gold piece, large gold rings, small silver pieces, gold jewelry and
medallions, and still more old tokens.

The big question is how much more digging will you do in an average days hunting to maybe come up with these targets?

I always have mine at 6 and above I dig but there is so much junk on the beach that I hunt i would get 1000 nails to find a gold earring. And I hunt with the 18.75 so I think that would boost to gold numbers up to where I would dig

The big question is how much more digging will you do in an average days hunting to maybe come up with these targets?

Well to start I am digging all those numbers if I get the same number on both ends of the swing in two directions,

Them why would you even buy a detector that has a discriminator?
depending on the day i use it... mostly my lazy days...

i found not using it helps me find odd ball things like old jumping jacks i would of missed this

IMG-1.jpg

Found this ring not sure if its real but it rang in 16.

Attachments

• DSC00154.jpg
    DSC00154.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 1,945
My most recent gold find was this small 10k bracelet that came in at a solid +6.

10-26-12 Braclet.jpg

I often hunt in AM, but it depends on the site. Trashier places I'll knock out -8 and 48 to greatly reduce high tone falsing (wrap-around). And at cleaner sites I've been running in Prospector mode with the IM turned up a bit. I look more for size and the lack of iron than anything else in targets. And if I get somewhere that's littered with a thousand pulltabs that are comming in @ 18, then I'm likely to ignore them after a short while.

The beach is different. I dig almost everything repeatable at the beach. Even though I know that +8 is going to be a broken off pulltab tail I still dig 'em, because someday it will be something good.

FWIW, I've never heard of processed gold ringing up a negative number.

The beach is different. I dig almost everything repeatable at the beach. Even though I know that +8 is going to be a broken off pulltab tail I still dig 'em, because someday it will be something good.

FWIW, I've never heard of processed gold ringing up a negative number.[/QUOTE]

I heard you are the guy to talk to about this detector.I have been passing up 16 to 28 targets only to find out larger gold is in that range. 18 is always a pull tab. 10 to 14 is a nickel sometimes foil. Hard 12 both directions is aways a nickel. 38 is a clad nickel 40 silver nickel 42 clad quarter 40-42 silver quarter and pennies are anywhere from 28 to 36.

This gold ring I found was at 16 and was bouncing (chatty)a lot in both directions I left it but went right back because of how hard it hit. Does all gold react this was to this detector??

Can you give me your vdi numbers that you find gold at? Are my numbers the same as yours?

Gold is the one real wild card. Depending on size, shape, depth, compsition, etg... it can come up just about anywhere. A heavy men's plain 10k band can ID @ 40 near the surface, but be 22 5-6" deep on edge. A plain band will give a clean clear solid tone, and a piece that has claw settings, chains, irregular shapes, or multiple reflective facetts will return jumpy ID's with trash-like tones.
If gold it the objective, the machine will find it, but you have to dig it all to find it all.

As far as trying to match someone elses numbers....it's not something to concern yourself with. Differing soil makeup, frequency selected, and even slight variations from coil to coil can cause differences of a notch easily. It's what you find they come in at while at a given site with whatever setup you happen to be running at the time that matters. The Xterra transforms into a different machine with each setup change, and it's variable enough to be adaptable to virtually any situation.

Read Randy's book, and read the four part blog in the TreasureTalk section on the Minelab site called "What coil is right for me?" Between those two resources, you'll have more information than you can absorb without putting them into practice to see first hand how it all works together.

Thank you for the info. I understand what you are saying. I have just one more question. Does that gold ring that Id's above 26 stay at mid tone or does it tone like a clad coin??

That depends on how many tones you're using.
Here's a tone break chart.
Xterra Tone Break Chart.jpg

You can see that if you're running 3 or 4 tones, then yes it will come in like most clad coins. Best to learn 28 tones sooner or later.

Don't forget to dig solid tones also, just like the solid tid, a solid tone with a little bouncy tid can be good stuff. I agree with passing over the dreaded # 18 pull tab but only if you found others in the same area.

FWIW, I've never heard of processed gold ringing up a negative number.

Deep or small gold items do this. Chains ear ring backings. The reason why is because they are too far away from the coil to register VDI correctly.

A gold ring 6 inches deep or a gold chain 2 inches deep, depending on the soil.

All VLF detectors lose VDI accuracy with depth, it tends to register lower with depth, or as iron. The E-trac and the 705 are probably better than most. Air test the rings at the outermost detectable distances with in all metal.

The F-2 is pretty bad about this, but it is a great detector for starting out and finding shallow coins.

Patterning

Isn't patterning a way to avoid losing these kind of finds? Basically going over the same ground but using different settings for specific finds, I've seen it demonstrated and it is time consuming but it does work. It helps you avoid misses without digging as much.

Back
Top Bottom