X-Terra Post again! READ IF YOU OWN

GetDiggin

Forum Supporter
Ok so, I bought myself a new fancy NEL coil and I was SUPER excited, damn thing came from the Ukraine so took freaking 3 weeks to get to me. I was happy as heck when I seen the Brown Truck! (actually I think it may have been USPS lol but what ever) I get it in the house, RIP RIGHT in to it with my knife, throw it on plug it in!...........................

CE. CE. CE lol which is Coil Error or course, I was like W....T....F, I was just so upset and bummed. Finally after unplugging it and plugging it back in 200 times just cause thats what you do when your pissed and something doesnt work lol you do it over and over in hopes that your wrong! after I got done with that I emailed the store and questioned it, they were super nice and said they will ship me a new coil ASAP as soon as the shipments come from NEL (which I think they said is today or tomorrow) anywhos a day later I get a email from the store with them mentioning that NEL Coils do not work on X-Terra models made in 2012 (because Minelab upgrade/changed the chip)! wellllllllllll !!! that would have been nice to know like I DON'T KNOW A MONTH AGO! lol.

The best part was when they thought I had a bad coil they said I could break it open and see if I could fix it, and check the solders blah blah blah, basically they did not want to pay the shipping for a broken coil back to them, luckily all I did was cut the little rubber shrink wrap to check the plug solders (which were of course fine) so was nothing major because now they said for a refund I have to send them back the Coil lol.

In a nutshell, if you have a 2012 X-Terra, then DO NOT buy a NEL Coil until they have upgraded the chip, or you will be waiting a month for a large paper weight! Guess thats why its best to go with the 15" Coiltek, which is what I will be getting I guess instead, Though I REALLY liked the shape and size of the Hunter NEL =[ I know Coiltek makes a similar sized called Platypus but I don't think that is Minelab Approved like the 15"

/Rant off,
HH
Detectthis

UPDATE:

Just so everyone knows, I did receive this e-mail from Coiltek, so rest assure Coiltek's are still 100% available for 2012 models

"Thanks for your enquiry.

Yes, due to our collaboration with Minelab, the COILTEK 15" X-TERRA coil is
compatible with all X-TERRA detectors and the latest revisions in 2012.

Regards,

Trevor & The Team at Coiltek

COILTEK MANUFACTURING PTY. LTD.
Winner of the Technology Industry Australia's Export Excellence Award 2011"

I can see that I now have to contact MineLab, to find out whether or not their own previously produced coils will be compatable with newer machines.

I wonder how many coils NEL will eat because they pirated the technology?

And Coiltek only makes the 15" WOT for the Xterras. The Platypus and Joey models aren't yet available.

http://www.minelab.com/aus/customer-care/product-notices?article=94380

X-TERRA Coil Compatibility

As part of ongoing product improvements to our X-TERRA series of ADVENTURE detectors, Minelab has recently updated our VFLEX technology with improved coil-to-detector digital communications protocols.

All genuine Minelab X-TERRA coils and authorised Coiltek X-TERRA coils are fully compatible with all X-TERRA detectors. Any other third party brand non-authorised coils that may function with older X-TERRA detectors may not work at all with the latest X-TERRA detectors. This will result in a CE error message appearing on the X-TERRA display, indicating that the coil is not communicating with the control box.

Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact your regional Minelab office.

http://www.minelab.com/aus/customer-care/product-notices?article=94380

X-TERRA Coil Compatibility

As part of ongoing product improvements to our X-TERRA series of ADVENTURE detectors, Minelab has recently updated our VFLEX technology with improved coil-to-detector digital communications protocols.

All genuine Minelab X-TERRA coils and authorised Coiltek X-TERRA coils are fully compatible with all X-TERRA detectors. Any other third party brand non-authorised coils that may function with older X-TERRA detectors may not work at all with the latest X-TERRA detectors. This will result in a CE error message appearing on the X-TERRA display, indicating that the coil is not communicating with the control box.

Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact your regional Minelab office.

If old coils from Minelab or Coiltek can work with both old and new detectors, but not the NEL coils, it sure sounds like it's not a technical issue, but one of MineLab not wanting to let other --non licensed-- companies from making money selling coils for their detectors. They probably made some firmware changes to detect the NEL coil and kick it out. That's my purely speculative opinion.

If old coils from Minelab or Coiltek can work with both old and new detectors, but not the NEL coils, it sure sounds like it's not a technical issue, but one of MineLab not wanting to let other --non licensed-- companies from making money selling coils for their detectors. They probably made some firmware changes to detect the NEL coil and kick it out. That's my purely speculative opinion.
That is exactly what it is. Randy Horton made a post to that effect on another site.

Back
Top Bottom