Where did union troops typical place their cannons?

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I am overlaying old CW maps with google earth and it seem like the artillery was placed on a creek bank about 700 yards north of confederate positions.
but just behind site is a buff that is about 100 feet high. It seems like this is the area they would place their cannons. Could be a error on my part just trying to align these overlayed cW maps on google earth. (not always easy).

Where did union troops typical place their cannons? or is there a typical place?

Artillery was always in the rear. They would use any ground that would be advantageous to them. Look into the Official Records.

I am overlaying old CW maps with google earth and it seem like the artillery was placed on a creek bank about 700 yards north of confederate positions.
but just behind site is a buff that is about 100 feet high. It seems like this is the area they would place their cannons. Could be a error on my part just trying to align these overlayed cW maps on google earth. (not always easy).

Where did union troops typical place their cannons? or is there a typical place?
It could be that the Union artillery were sitting ducks for confederate artillery on the highest part of the battlefield but if they were slightly below the crest of the hill they had some protection instead of sticking out like a sore thumb. The confederate sharpshooters frequently made things hot for union artillery men even at that 700 to 800 yard distance. So hot at times that the cannon could not be manned effectively.

Back
Top Bottom