• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Guam WWII history dug

wolf-n-wa

Forum Supporter
Was in Guam January through march and brought some WWII relics home. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211002-172914_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20211002-172914_Facebook.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 351
  • Screenshot_20211002-172920_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20211002-172920_Facebook.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 340
  • Screenshot_20211002-172928_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20211002-172928_Facebook.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 350
  • Screenshot_20211002-172938_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20211002-172938_Facebook.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 337
  • Screenshot_20211002-172946_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20211002-172946_Facebook.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 335
Cool finds! Please post more! Brings back memories.
I spent a year on Guam in 1972 when I was about 13 yrs old. Loved it! Dad was XO on a sub tender stationed there. Before we got officers quarters on the naval Station we lived in an apartment right on Invasion Beach in Agat. OMG the most beautiful water to swim and snorkel in and of course there were still relics on the bottom there to eyeball and recover. I pulled up a browning machine gun, totally encrusted solid but was not allowed to keep it. Found linked 50 cal rounds and shell fragments.
Spent the night once in an old japanese pillbox on the beach(naval station) chasing off giant hermit crabs...There were old abandoned Marine barracks there with stuff still inside, strange stuff like cases of full bottles of sulfuric acid. My buddy and I used to ride his Honda CB125 around the old abandoned airfield on base...
Hiked out to the "tank farm" once, old sherman tanks that got blown up during a battle. Used to go with my Chamorro buddies into the jungle to hunt betel nuts for the old folks. I was not a regular howlie! I can still cuss in Chamorro.
Ordinance all over the island still then and I guess there is still plenty more. Story we heard when we was there was that a 2000 pound bomb was discoverd by some sharp eyed individual sticking up through the pavement on the main road along the coast. Truck and cars and everything were running over the tip of this bomb jutting up but never set it off!
There are sooooooooo many places to detect relics over there man, wow I want to go!

Cool finds! Please post more! Brings back memories.
I spent a year on Guam in 1972 when I was about 13 yrs old. Loved it! Dad was XO on a sub tender stationed there. Before we got officers quarters on the naval Station we lived in an apartment right on Invasion Beach in Agat. OMG the most beautiful water to swim and snorkel in and of course there were still relics on the bottom there to eyeball and recover. I pulled up a browning machine gun, totally encrusted solid but was not allowed to keep it. Found linked 50 cal rounds and shell fragments.
Spent the night once in an old japanese pillbox on the beach(naval station) chasing off giant hermit crabs...There were old abandoned Marine barracks there with stuff still inside, strange stuff like cases of full bottles of sulfuric acid. My buddy and I used to ride his Honda CB125 around the old abandoned airfield on base...
Hiked out to the "tank farm" once, old sherman tanks that got blown up during a battle. Used to go with my Chamorro buddies into the jungle to hunt betel nuts for the old folks. I was not a regular howlie! I can still cuss in Chamorro.
Ordinance all over the island still then and I guess there is still plenty more. Story we heard when we was there was that a 2000 pound bomb was discoverd by some sharp eyed individual sticking up through the pavement on the main road along the coast. Truck and cars and everything were running over the tip of this bomb jutting up but never set it off!
There are sooooooooo many places to detect relics over there man, wow I want to go!

I love it there. Made friends with a Chamorro from Merizo. You are correct that their is munnitions etc all over the island. I was also fortunate to find two sling stones as well. I fished like crazy there and the fishing is awesome. If you get the chance to go back, do it man. Its awesome! Also spent time in the jungles eating fresh coconut, bananas, anonas, star fruit, mangos, you name it. I will be back. WOLF

I love it there. Made friends with a Chamorro from Merizo. You are correct that their is munnitions etc all over the island. I was also fortunate to find two sling stones as well. I fished like crazy there and the fishing is awesome. If you get the chance to go back, do it man. Its awesome! Also spent time in the jungles eating fresh coconut, bananas, anonas, star fruit, mangos, you name it. I will be back. WOLF

I hope for the opportunity to go back and visit. I missed going to Saipan so want to do that too. I often lust after a hilltop home in Saipan, easy to find million dollar views overlooking the wide expanse of the Pacific ocean, just gorgeous. Looked into it some in the past...Would have to lease as I don't think they changed their property laws there yet but am not sure.
Did you get a chance to check out the "barking sand"?
Guam sits on the side of the marianas trench, some very super deep water. If you swim outside the reef you can see the slope of the bottom going down, down and it's really scary actually when you think of how far down the bottom is and what giant predators may be swimming around there looking for meals. I went outside the reef only once! :-) We heard stories of a 22 foot hammerhead shark cruising outside Agana that the shark hunters were after. I can imagine how good the fishing is!

Back
Top Bottom