Florida Gulf

dewcon

Quality Control Expert
Well things arent looking real good for beach hunting unless from Clearwater down to Englewood. Red Tide is moving in pretty good we had a large fish kill locally and of course with that comes the smell. Hate it that this has started to be the norm this time of year. Now you have to throw in the virus as well. I was talking to my son yesterday him and his wife are both charge nurses he said they had about 25 with the virus and are having to open other floors to hold the over flow from the ER. Whats also hurting them is nurses..... they are all leaving for home care and as travel nurses where there is more money and less of the virus. The number of travel nurses coming in to fill the gap just isnt happening either. Looks like with these two factors its going to be slim pickens for water hunter.

Last edited:
We were at Disney 2 weeks ago and were planning to split time at Clearwater but decided bc of Red Tide to go to Cocoa. Several years back It was an issue near Ft Myers and surrounding areas. I’ve been watching for symptoms among family members who went to Disney; in retrospect it wasn’t the smartest idea but we had a good time sweating and the lines weren’t too long if you have to wait for 110 minutes —it’s not something I ever plan on doing again!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep,its bad! Just like 2018/19. Stopped going to the beach weeks ago,as did many...locals and tourist. The red tide kill and the miserable heat are both bad, don't want to water hunt, don't want to go out in the brutal heat. And now with the covid resurgence, Florida has got hit with a triple whammy. Stay well, stay safe.
DL

I saw some of those images down here in the news of the acres of dead floating fish. Unbelievable! Are there even any fish left up there to catch? :fishin: I can't imagine how nasty that must be. I am very glad we didn't get the thick carpeting of seaweed we had 2 years ago that made any kind of near shore detecting possible.

Faked me out Dew!

thought you were taking up GOLF to stay away from the dead fish. i have not been out in over a week cause the lake is filling up from all the rain. However, the greens are in great shape and I been playing 3 times a week....:laughing: Gil

I saw some of those images down here in the news of the acres of dead floating fish. Unbelievable! Are there even any fish left up there to catch? :fishin: I can't imagine how nasty that must be. I am very glad we didn't get the thick carpeting of seaweed we had 2 years ago that made any kind of near shore detecting possible.

I saw those horrific images on the news of all those dead fish and wondered the same thing myself .

Well, I'm planning on heading down there in early October to Ft. Meyers Beach...can you please make sure that it's all gone by then? :)

thought you were taking up GOLF to stay away from the dead fish. i have not been out in over a week cause the lake is filling up from all the rain. However, the greens are in great shape and I been playing 3 times a week....:laughing: Gil

Dang spell check on this phone…. and as you can tell I don’t proof read either. No to the golf…. I found no two balls I hit go the same direction

Dew, I haven't been out in over a week and have had enough of the clam chowder to fill my belly full,,,,,It ain't worth it,,,,,between the summer sand we always get and not many people in the water and dodging dead fish, flies, and the rotten smell, I am not going to spend an evening digging trash to enjoy all the above mentioned,,,talked to my son last night who is a critical care nurse at SMH and they have more patients than ever and they are dropping like flies,,,,thankfully he doesn't deal with COVID patients because there is sadly enough motor cycle crashes, etc. to keep them busy and the travel nurses get the COVID patients because they are not allowed to work on trama patients,,,he worked 12 days in a row with 12 hours shifts and finally told them enough is enough,,,,UGH, I just want to work and hunt at night,,,,had one heck of year with gold before all the red tide and summer sand came,,,I will wait until fall when the sand starts moving and the red tide is gone,,,,GL HH

Between all the popularity and building on the beach with phosphate being dumped in the water from fertilizer and the run off from it, combined with the fact that every time we have a storm Sarasota County DUMPS the sewage right in the gulf thinking that with stirred up water it is "OK",,,doesn;t work,,,them tanks are right on Siesta,,,,,I have lived here 38 years and I tell ya,, I fished 30 years ago everywhere and there was no such thing as red tide,,,,think about it,,,,do you here of it in the pan handle where it is less popular or the keys? nope,,,and the east coast, they get enough water movement and water is cooler, they are not affected either,,,,,well, it is our norm now,,,Maybe our tourists check us off their list, Sarasota County may make changes,,,,doubt it

Felix, consider yourself lucky,,,,,it is horrible here right now and I don't think it will go away for weeks

He don't have time for GOLF right now,,,Mama has him too busy :laughing:,,,just when I thought I would get ahead of him,,RED TIDE

Tim im that one legged man in the butt kicking contest...... honey Dews and selling the house and moving with both full of furnature .... ugh. I did read Lido had a high bacteria count for Poo last week and i think the closed that main beach. Paper said the Red Tide may slack up here .... but if no one was on the beach ... which had nothing on it because of renourishment the Red Tide clearing up wont matter. Add Covid and we are a mess down here. By the way you were kicking butt at the first of the year. Going to finish my projects then take off to see my parents before fall..... then i will get serious again.

Stay safe your way Dew. Seems the people i know who detect where i am got the Covid. Breath traveling through air at the beach? Dunno? My cousin in TX. is struggling to survive this krap. You over 50 they don't let you have access to an ECMO to survive. Remember red tide used to make me feel ill when i lived on the water.

Currently my butt is to busy selling my house…. downsizing to a nice condo…. 2 house holds full of furniture… it’s a real balancing act this month. Then living in the condo with repairs going on and her honey-Dew lists. Right now I don’t even know what a beach looks like 😂. If I live thru this …. Hopefully all the red tide will be gone. The virus….is sending more locals to the hospitals locally where my son works. Funny part is me and my SO was talking about it ….. and said ya know our lives haven’t really changed…. Dang we must be boring.

I believe the red tide was the 5th rider of the apocalypse, right? Makes sense with what we've been through...

Zee buddy, hows it going ... and hows the Red Tide over there? Thats a curious question since most here blame it on the phosphate companies and fertilizer run off. Its gotten worse over the past few years and its almost expected by the end of summer.

We were at Disney 2 weeks ago and were planning to split time at Clearwater but decided bc of Red Tide to go to Cocoa. Several years back It was an issue near Ft Myers and surrounding areas. I’ve been watching for symptoms among family members who went to Disney; in retrospect it wasn’t the smartest idea but we had a good time sweating and the lines weren’t too long if you have to wait for 110 minutes —it’s not something I ever plan on doing again!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's weird how some consider that a "vacation" :laughing: if I didnt have kids, I would NEVER go back to Disney. It's cool, just not worth the stress, money, time, sanity, etc IMO. Not to mention there's a 50/50 chance of a thunderstorm at any given moment :lol: I made the mistake of driving down and back too :no: I actually was at Clearwater beach for the 4th of July this year, but due to the circumstances, I was not able to hunt. I did observe MANY depositors though. Tampa had alot as well. I didnt notice any Red Tide, but I didnt spend much time on the beach. Hope the conditions improve for all of you down there!

Back
Top Bottom