• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Nice to get in the wet again

low tide

Elite Member
As some know, I moved from the gorgeous (highly overpriced) beaches of So Cal to Vegas. I only occasionally get to get back to my stomping grounds and this week I was blessed to get two full hunts in.
It only took 7 hrs to get to our friends house down in San Diego thanks to traffic due to 2 accidents. Low tides were 6pm and 430am... I was VERY tired but still hit the 1st of the two tides. It wasn't the better of the two being around 2ft. I got out there and right away i realized my scoop/handle pinch bolt was loose.. NICE.. Then about 30 minutes in my lower back was irked... NICE.. Then about 1.5 hr in my lower rod failed. I won't name the brand of it for my NOX (its a red CF shaft).. I was done... Between the 2 failures, a tennis elbow acting up and my lower back being :( it was time...... I had my backup CTX w/me but I was physically and mentally just blah at this point.
Got home, fixed them both and was in bed by 10pm. Woke up 3am and set out again. 4 ibuprofens, a red bull, my usual night hunt pocket knife and the usual gear plus it was a rain storm so I was in waders, a poncho, the whole 9.
I was able to hunt for about 3 hrs before the wind just got the best of me but managed to get in and out of the wet without issue and did find one ring. It looked gold so it got my adrenaline going but turned out to be a junker of course. ... Regardless of the bounty, it was SOOOO nice to just get in the water again.
I also realized that I (in a way) get a mild rush from hunting at night keeping my head on a swivel from drunkards and the occasional homeless type. Is that odd?

I used to make that Vegas run often , so I feel your pain. Physically and mentally draining. You were pumped and exciting to hunt I'm sure. Head on a swivel and alert , it's not easy. Especially when you hit a pocket with your head down digging , look up and there is a zombie on you ! You're like !!! , where did he come from ? Lol...glad you got out. Maybe gold next time.

Good to see you got a fix.

4 ibuprofens, a red bull......... I got to try that!

That's the bad about living a distance from the beach. You just have to go with the flow and hope all works out.

I had a long day. And my fault, I should have checked the detector. Did a lot of walking but finally got back on track after a two n half hour delay.

Isn't there a few placer gold deposits and area's around vegas? Maybe you could try that, not that I think it'd out perform some good beach action but it'd be something

Glad you got back to the beach LT. Night hunting can be a bit scary but also magical at times. Turning your headlamp on in the darkness to see gold in your scoop is such a surreal feeling. I recently hunted on a moonless night with a bioluminescent show every time a big wave came crashing down. :wow:

Definitely understand the part about keeping your head on a swivel.
There was a guy robbed at gunpoint in the north and now a constant police presence at MB.

How long does it usually take to get to San Diego from Vegas?
I bet you miss being close, glad you got out.

Takes about 5 hrs usually. This time was 7... Traffic due to several look-e-loos over nothing causing 5 mile back ups.

Isn't there a few placer gold deposits and area's around vegas? Maybe you could try that, not that I think it'd out perform some good beach action but it'd be something

There is nugget hunting in AZ which is about 150+ miles from where I'm at and I've tried a few times. CTX won't cut it. the NOX is so-so. I'd need a Gold monster or something more nugget specific. Regardless of that fact, it just isn't fun like the beach. Its downright draining. I also have a dry washer.. Again.... not fun..:no:

Back
Top Bottom