• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

75 on the AT Pro... 2" tall and possibly part of Musical Instrument

Dgrub

I was back at the old farm site (now woods) where I found the George Washington Inaugural Button, early 1800s Large Cents, etc. So this place is definitely old. I've also found coins and relics dating to the late 1800s and early 1900s at this location, as well, so dating and ID'ing these finds can be challenging.

This object rings up as a consistent 75 on my AT Pro. For me, that has typically been pennies and the like. This thing I'm thinking is not copper, though, due to the color of oxidation. I scrubbed pretty thoroughly with my Andres Pencils to try to get down to the surface, but the metal is basically whitish when you scrub through.

My only clue is that it rings up a 75, exactly the same as harmonica reeds I've found in the past. It also has the tiny little strips of metal that are secured by a minuscule rivet or screw, as is seen on the old harmonica and reed I've included in my pictures. The shape is way different, but the style is so similar that my first instinct is to group it with the reeds as some part of a musical Instrument.

Am I in the right track or is this something totally different? Again, the age could be spread over hundreds of years, but maybe the level of oxidation is a clue?

Attachments

• 116892.jpg
    116892.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 278
  • 116896.jpg
    116896.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 265
  • 116894.jpg
    116894.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 260
  • 116891.jpg
    116891.jpg