• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Found this pulley

cellrdwellr

Elite Member
I want to restore it, would electrolysis be the best cleaning method to remove the rust? Also, if I was to go with the electrolysis, how does one do it with something this large? Doubt the old cell phone charger will touch this thing :lol: I'll probably take a wire wheel to it after the bulk of the rust is gone. I might have to grind the old center pin out, and clean each piece separately, and then put a new center bolt in. Also replace the bottom wheel. Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• 20221005_170412.jpg
    20221005_170412.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 252
They have bigger setups using manual battery chargers to do cast iron skillets. that should work. don't take it apart these tanks will handle it whole. google cleaning cast iron skillets.

If you missed it, here's a recent thread I helped someone with on setting up a tank

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=298662

I did miss that thread, some good information there for sure! I ended up soaking it in WD-40 for 24 hours and then took a hammer and flat head screwdriver to it. I actually got both wheels turning again. It also looks like it was manufactured in Chicago. I still have a ways to go in terms of rust, but it still functions, so that it a big relief. I will update this thread as progress is made. I appreciate the replies!

Back
Top Bottom