5.56 projectile spill

FLOOD

Forum Supporter
I was in a city park today, first time being there, and came across an unusual spill. Looks like 5.56x45mm projectiles. All 6 were clustered together, about 3 feet from a paved walkway that traverse the park. Interestingly enough, the park is called "Veterans Park" and has several military memorials further down in the park area. Also, from what I read, this park used to be a cemetery...I've found plenty of casings and other bullet pieces at other locations, but 6 projectiles like this is a new find...the other few coins I found were just clad. I did run into another detectorist at the park as well, and had a good conversation, so the day was good all around.

Attachments

• Coins and Rifle Bullets 06 Oct 22.jpg
    Coins and Rifle Bullets 06 Oct 22.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 325
Cool boolits. They look more like 30 caliber from here. 5.56mm is essentially .22" in diam, pretty small.

I ran into a fellow detectorist at a Veteran's park once or twice, he's on here and a nice guy.

looks like someone took them out of the cases with pliers. it looks like there are no rifling marks and the circular marks around the ogive, tell me it was pliers.

looks like someone took them out of the cases with pliers. it looks like there are no rifling marks and the circular marks around the ogive, tell me it was pliers.

Odd why they were removed and dropped in this spot on the side of the walkway. They were probably 3-4 inches down. Nothing else but the projectiles…another mystery of how and why.

Odd why they were removed and dropped in this spot on the side of the walkway. They were probably 3-4 inches down. Nothing else but the projectiles…another mystery of how and why.

When I find weird stuff like this I usually assume bored kid, especially since you found it at the park. I remember as a kid taking apart ammunition. sometimes it was just boredom, sometimes I wanted the powder for other "experiments".

I have found similar spills at home tear outs. Was near old shed or garage area. Most likely where previous owner did reloads. When you reload thousands of rounds, bound to drop a few.

Back
Top Bottom