Hunt with forum members nets second silver...

The Jersey Digger

Elite Member
One real ugly silver that is...I went to Riverview Beach Park with Fred Sanford and Randy. Randy found a nice and beat up 44 WL Half. After they left I satyed for a little while longer. I came across a signal of 80-82 on the ATPro. It was reading 8-10" too and was probably at least 10" down. When I pulled it out it was badly corroded and had a green patina to it. At first I was thinking 2 center but after some spit rubbing I saw it was a nickel and put it in my pouch. Late last night I decided to look it over. After some soap and water I could at least read the date of 1945. I know it is a war nickel but I cant even get a mint mark off the back. The first pic is just after soap and water. The second is after baking soda, electrolysis, hot peroxide and alka seltzer. Nothing is helping. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks all and HH...

Attachments

• IMG_0270.jpg
    IMG_0270.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_0271.jpg
    IMG_0271.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 269
Wow! That's a war nickel? :shock:

Get some toothpaste and a harsh comb on tha. I won't believe it's silver until I see the big fat P,D, or S on the back! :lol:

Nice find though - that AT pro goes DEEP. I bet you're enjoying the new machine.

Wow! That's a war nickel? :shock:

Get some toothpaste and a harsh comb on tha. I won't believe it's silver until I see the big fat P,D, or S on the back! :lol:

Nice find though - that AT pro goes DEEP. I bet you're enjoying the new machine.

Yeah I am Rick. I will try and post a close up photo of the date for proof. I cant believe it would look like this either. Trust me I am shocked. So far so good with the new ATpro

Not all 1945's are 'war nickels'. If you haven't seen the big mintmark yet, expect that it isn't based on the condition. Sorry :(.

Good...you know I am rooting for you :D. Perhaps the corrosion is due to the fact that it is only a third silver, and the elements are working on the other materials in the coin. I haven't dug too many of these and am not familiar with how they weather.

I cant figure it out myself David. I am going to try and electrocute it again later. Maybe try a baking soda mix in there instead of salt...

Updated cleaning

Ok I zapped it a couple more times, lightly scraped off some corrsosion and rubbed with baking soda. You can now clearly see 1945 and a "P" on the back...I will try and clean it up more later...

Attachments

• IMG_0274.jpg
    IMG_0274.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_0275.jpg
    IMG_0275.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 231
War nickels are nice . that salt water sure isn't nice to your coins out there . Congrats

Harold

Congrats

Congrats on your second silver.We need to hit that place again. With a little patience , I think we can find some more good stuff there. Went on Historical Aireals and saw what you had told me. Persistence pays off . Have another spot we should hit. Its also in NJ.

Congrats on your second silver.We need to hit that place again. With a little patience , I think we can find some more good stuff there. Went on Historical Aireals and saw what you had told me. Persistence pays off . Have another spot we should hit. Its also in NJ.

Keep me informed..I am game

That's quite a difference from beginning to the latest picture. Thanks to you I am a believer in electolysis. Congrats on the deep silver.

Nice find, I can't believe how bad that looks for being silver, maybe you got a rare non silver 45' nickel. :grin: i'm researching a few spots around me, im guessing most of them have been hit hard but who knows maybe we can pull some of the deeper stuff the old machines missed. I'll let you guys know if you want to try them out when we go.

Nice find, I can't believe how bad that looks for being silver, maybe you got a rare non silver 45' nickel. :grin: i'm researching a few spots around me, im guessing most of them have been hit hard but who knows maybe we can pull some of the deeper stuff the old machines missed. I'll let you guys know if you want to try them out when we go.

I know I cant believe it looks so bad as well. According to Red Book they are all silver. Just let me know, I am always up for new hunts...

Back
Top Bottom