• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Hunting With Forum Members

Silver Eagle

I was contacted thru a PM from a Newbie Tigger The Digger, and found out he lives fairly close by. Any how, he wanted to meet up and talk about Md'ing
and perhaps do some swinging.
Well Yesterday My dad (Garfish), My sef, Tigger (Jim) and his Son In Law Herman met up in Arnold at Mc Donalds, had Lunch and went Hunting.
The first place we went was a school I had MD'd once before and I thought it would be a little more promising since the last time I found 2 silver Rosies.
Well after finding 15 pencil tops, a lot of can slaw, and few coins, I found a Pendant from a necklace, The center stone was gone but there were 15 small onynx stones still there, ( I later Mis Placed it so no Pics). Since this place was not producing, We decided to go to another School my dad and I had hit over 25 times but the Soccer field Always yielded a few finds, ie the phrase never hunted out.
Well that school, did not disappoint, we all found a few bucks in clad.
I did however get a good signal +84 VDI and my machine said quarter, but experience has taught me that when I get a Low Quarter VDI ( Most Quarters are at +89) it is usually a Silver Dime.
So I re scaned and was getting a high Dime Vdi +83 to +85, so I get excited, and when I pin pointed and looked at the depth it says 7".
I groaned because the Dirt was like Concrete, we have had 14 days at 95+
degrees, with heat indexes in excess of 101 and no rain.
I dig any way and only manage a 3" plug, re scan and sure enough it still tells me 7", so I go back for more, this time 2 scoops, now my hole is about 5 1/2" deep, scan says still in the hole and still 7" and still says +84 Quarter.
So I go for Broke and pound in all the way around the hole and get my shovel down around another 4 " and pulled out a plug that was grey and chalky, mixed with Clay and chunks of rock and gravel.
I re scanned the hole and no target, so I check the last plug, BINGO! It is out of the hole. So I start breaking it up expecting to see at any time that familiar sight of a silver Rosie, no dice, I went thru the plug and nothin seemed to pop out. So I start out picking up the small pieces of "concrete"
that were Nickle Sized till I got a signal. There was not really much to the clod so I start going thru it. Bingo there is a piece of metal, and I notice the shape of a "class" ring, but something is wrong, No Gold, or silver. Just looked
dull chalky Dark Grey,even Black at that, I noticed the stone missing too.
Well I was dumbfounded, a junk ring showing up in the Silver range? Odd!
Well once I got it home I used my Loupe and looking down thru where the stone used to be in the inside of the Band on one side of the ''split'' I see the letters terling, So I get out the SILVO, polish and after 2 hours of working it over managed to get it this clean. I have never dug silver and have it come out of the ground, that Black/grey! However I have once witnessed my father dig an 1893 Barber dime out next to an old pine tree that was as black as night. I also know that when silver is exposed to Ammonia, it will turn Black. Well since this is a soccer Field, I guess at one time they were using Fertilizer on it so Maybe.......
Any way to make a long story longer, Jim was a great guy as was Herman.
Made some new friends, and we all exchanged Numbers. Now I know quite a few locals and If my Dad cannot go, I can ask several people around if they can MD.
Thanks Tigger, for the afternoon and the Privilege of making your acquaintance. I do not Mind Hunting With Newbies as I find their enthusiasim refreshing. Here are some Pics of The "Girl Scout Class Ring"

Attachments

• DSCN0417.jpg
    DSCN0417.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 434
  • DSCN0418.jpg
    DSCN0418.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 439
  • DSCN0419.jpg
    DSCN0419.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 438
  • DSCN0420.jpg
    DSCN0420.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 440
  • DSCN0421.jpg
    DSCN0421.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:
Its always nice to get out and do a little hunting with some new friends. Congrats on your ring! Thats a keeper. It's just to bad that the stone or whatever was missing.

I'm BACK!!!

Hey Silver Eagle,

I hope this finds you doing well! I didn't forget you and your dad. My son-in-law and I had a great time. The reason it's been a while, was do to my friend from Florida had come up for a while and at the end of his stay, I had a computer crash. I'm up and running and back. To all that read this, Dan (Silver Eagle) and Gino his dad will be some of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. It was a pleasure to meet them and now us newbies (my son-in-law and I) have a couple of detecting friends. As Dan mentioned we went out and the ground was like concrete. Dan, had asked me if we,(my son-in-law and I) were having a good time. Well, I had a great time as did my son! When you meet fellow detectorists, to me, it's not about the finds, it's about the friendship. My son (son-in-law for short) and I can't wait to go back out detecting with Dan and his dad again. Hopefully some time soon.

Back
Top Bottom