Funny Things that Happen While Detecting

This may have been mentioned before in this thread, but while swinging at the beach many a time people will come up to me with a bit of glass or other trash and say,"Since your cleaning the beach, here ya go.":shock::roll: I just smile say, "There is a trash can right over there." :cool:

What's with the questions about clamming?? I think if I got asked "Are you clamming?", I would say "No, I'm looking for the lost portal to the alternate dimension I am from. My work is done here."

"And i've definetly determind there is NO inteligent life on this planet."

we were working some fields along the Hudson River at an important Revolutionary War site. As I'm walking along I spot what would likely startle anyone ... a skeleton ... minus the head ... fully intact was the legs, pelvis, rib cage and "arms" ... My immediate reaction is "OH !!!!!!" .... my mindset was initially human because there was a small 18th century cemetery plot in a small grove of trees in the middle of the field plus we were hunting on a site where a British Field Hospital had sat directly across the river and close to the ferry landing. I jumped on the cell phone and called my hunting partners to come over where I was. We found the skull about 10 feet away which satisfied our suspicions .... deer carcass.

Had something very simular happen. Was SCUBA diving along a concrete ramp where boats are put into and taken out of the water. My dive buddy was serching the left hand side and and I the right. At about 200' off shore and approx 30' down I came across a headless skeleton. I almost spit out my regulator. On further careful examination, (Fortunetly BEFORE we called out the Sherif's Dept.) We found the skull a few feet away. As best as we could figure, it was a deer that fell through the ice the winter befor and couldn't get out.

small boy makes me small

most kids are polite and fun to talk to and explain what i am doing to, but sometimes boys in the 9 to 12 year range can be a real pain.
once while detecting a large tot lot ( and having great success ) a car pulls up and out piles 4 or 5 kids and their mother. they all pretty much ignored me except the oldest boy. Maybe 12 or 13. not wanting to go trough the usual question and answer session, i did my best to ignore and avoid him. But he continued to follow me at a safe distance and seemed very intent on everything i did.
When they were all getting in the car to leave i saw him speak briefly to his mother and then he came running back to me and handed me a quarter and said
"here mister i hope this helps" and he ran back to the car and left!
I put that clad quarter in a cardboard protector and i will never spend it. Helps my perspective.
HH Ed in co.

Ihad a young girl give me a quarter once while I was detecting a park also. My buddy couldn't believe I took it from her but I thought it might hurt her feelings if I didn't she seemed so sincere

The other day I was detecting on a beach at a local lake, just before I went into the sand I got a phone call. I finished the call and put my phone in my coat pocket, then went to digging 10-20 targets over a span of 200-300feet. I get to the picnic area and reach for my phone to check the time and its GONE! It had fallen out when I bent down to dig. So then I had to back track to all the holes I dug, and it was at the very first hole.... I'm sure I looked like a crazy person running back to all my holes in search for my phone:lol:

I am aware that I am that person that, when you ask me the time, I'll tell you how the clock was built. So, I am always leery of giving too much information and giving the uninitiated the wrong idea and enticing them to spend a bunch of money they really didn't need to. I leave that to the marketing department.
So, the question I hear most often is "Is that the model that tells you what's in the ground before you dig?" To which I usually reply "Yes, but it lies a lot!"

One of my favorite places to go cladding is the inside of the running track at high schools (it usually doubles as the football field). Lots of folks get out and "walk the track" of an evening. One such evening a woman asked me why I metal detect. I asked her how far had she walked that evening. Her answer was "about a mile". So I explained that I had just walked two miles, did about 200 deep knee bends, and got paid about $10.00 doing it...

And finally, this - My wife enjoys swinging her M6 with me at every opportunity, and our son (16) will get his Prizm out of deep storage on occasion as well. However, when we go on one of our regular trips to Myrtle Beach in South Carolina, they are very careful to walk far enough away so that people won't think they are with me as I swing my BHID. Once, when I found a ring, my son trotted over and said "hey mister, what'd you find?" My wife just about died laughing at that one!

Wow! :wow: This thread has been going for 7 years! How many of you were here when it started? I was.

I was detecting a park and this dog kept coming up to me and dropping a ball at my feet to throw. I'd throw it and he'd keep coming back with it. I finally noticed his owner about 50 yards away so I hummed the ball at him and he got the message :laughing:

I got a nice dime/quarter signal 3'' deep. Problem was, there was a dog turd right on the top. I still wonder what was in that plug:no:

That would have been funny if it just ended up being a bottle cap:laughing: Carry baby wipes with you next time so you have the peace of mind to be able to dig the signal and get away with "clean hands":D The story of Macbeth comes to mind for some reason:roll::laughing: In this case though, the "evil" is the dog turd:shock::laughing::laughing::laughing:

HH \_

it's funny that everywhere i go is completely covered in turds. the woods have piles of deer turds everywhere and the parks have geese turds everywhere.

I was detecting a boat ramp and a guy had just put in. He seen what I was doing and asked his son, if he had a penny (guess he thought I couldn't hear with the head phones on) any way his lady came down from dropping the truck. Funny part: His boat wouldn't start For almost 10 min. That's karma :laughing:

Second million

I occasionally have people ask if Ive found any treasure or doing any good. I usually just smile and tell them I'm getting closer to my second million....

The first time MaxBet and I went to the park a young kid made it all the way up the hill we were on with his crutches and leg braces. He asked LOTS of questions but he was genuinely interested in the mechanics of a metal detector. He said he had just had surgery and they put a screw in his ankle and wanted us to detect it. Didn't work lol.

Stuck in the sixties

A Friend in Kentucky was hunting a field at a Civil War site near a major metropolitan area when a Grateful Dead looking guy, who was also wandering around in the field, approached him. "Like what does that machine do"? "It's a mushroom picking machine". "ALRIGHT DUUUUUDE!!!".

I just get little obnoxious 5yr olds who don't know TO LEAVE ME ALONE! Sometimes i just feel like walking away and then :rifle: :laughing:

When I got my first detector, within 5 minutes of having it out of the box I ended up slicing through an underground TV cable on my property!
Another day, I was playfully asked by 6 different squad cars within an hour if I found any bombs yet. I think they were messing with me!

It was so funny.Yesterday.I just wanted to go out for about an hour.So i grabbed my ace 250 a digging tool and a large coffee can to throw anything i found in it.I was at a park and older lady came there with her little grandson.After a while she came over and put a quarter in the can and said if thats how you earn a living i hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom