Found A Hoard Of Medallions In A River And A Gold Ring. Best Hunt This Year!

John-Edmonton

Elite Member

Hit the jackpot today on the North Saskatchewan River . The river has really been shallow recently, so I spent the afternoon metal detecting in the water. I found a hoard of old medallions, scattered throughout an area. Some were as deep as 10 inches. It was a struggle to retrieve them, especially in the current, but a lot of trial and error got me 13 so far. I know there is more out there. And, to add to this excitement, I also dug up a man's wedding band.

Here's some of the medallions, and the gold ring, valued at $105.69 CAD, at todays spot gold price.

Here's the remaining medallions. It's a real puzzle trying to figure out how they got there? There is a University near by, and judging by some of those medallions, there must be some connection. I am going to contact the university and see if they might have some insight to these? Were they stolen and dumped? Did they accidently fall out of a capsized boat? Someone out there knows about these. Any guesses out there on their age?

Here's last weeks flour gold haul. I will probably shut down my highbanking activities, as it is getting cold, and we have already had some snow.

Very interesting bunch of finds John. I'm going with the capsized boat theory. Congrats on the ring. That seems to be a nice little hotspot even with the cold water. ha ha. Stay warm. Mark

Great finds, report and high quality photos!
That would be the most successful hunt of a lifetime for many of us.
Congratulations!

Great finds and report, John. Always enjoy the nice job you do with the photos you include.

Regarding age of the medallions, if there is a maker’s name on the back, you might get a clue, based on their dates of being in business. If still in business, maybe they can help you date the medallions.

Great finds and report, John. Always enjoy the nice job you do with the photos you include.

Regarding age of the medallions, if there is a maker’s name on the back, you might get a clue, based on their dates of being in business. If still in business, maybe they can help you date the medallions.

No, there is no mark on the backs of any of them.

:dingding: What a very nice collection of medallions. As for age, look for clues such as the football helmet. That can give you a starting point I believe. AND congrats on a nice looking ring!

It is simple, some guy gave his medallions to his sweet girlfriend. Then he did something stupid and she dumped him and his medallions.

Seeing your other threads with more medallions made me wonder if you ever contacted that nearby university as to where they may have come from?

Sure looks like an intentional dumping for some reason.

Seeing your other threads with more medallions made me wonder if you ever contacted that nearby university as to where they may have come from?

Sure looks like an intentional dumping for some reason.

I plan on contacting the University. There must be a connection somewhere. I agree with your intentional dumping too....but why?

Back
Top Bottom