My first token

MAD Mitch

Hey guys, After lunch I went out detecting in the yard. We had a cold front move thru here last night and it was a nice day to be out. Along with the usual nails and various metal pieces I found two wheats, a ‘41 and what I believe is an ‘11 (I’ve misplaced my loupe so I’m not sure yet). On my last dig I found what I first thought was one of those Chinese coins with the square hole. But it was made of aluminum and I thought it was some kind of washer so I threw it into the bag.

Later I pulled it out and cleaned it and started noticing it had lettering and was able to make out something about state tax. I did some research and found out it was issued by the MS State Tax Commission for change for amounts less than a penny. This one is 1 mil and was used between ‘36-‘41.

Attachments

• 5E152780-1FB9-46CD-AAEB-40B31B4FE9DC.jpeg
    5E152780-1FB9-46CD-AAEB-40B31B4FE9DC.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 169
  • B69C50D4-9BCE-427C-BA4B-666F1CB9A161.jpeg
    B69C50D4-9BCE-427C-BA4B-666F1CB9A161.jpeg
    61.8 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Nice job pulling out that tax token! We don’t see many tax tokens here in Ohio (our state didn’t issue metal tax tokens), but I’ve been fortunate to find a Missouri and a Louisiana tax token in a park a little while back. Fun find!

Being aluminum, scrubbing the token with some baking soda using a toothbrush can help clean it up a little more. Or you can use some Loctite Rust Remover Naval Jelly - slather some on and work it into the token for about 5-10 minutes (wear rubber gloves) then thoroughly rinse, and you’ll really be amazed at the outcome!

Thanks everyone!

AirmetTango: This is the first time I ever seen or heard of tax tokens. Another plus of this hobby is that you get to learn some more history.

I found it in what used to be a bed of ornamental hedges I had cut down earlier this year. The token was heavily pitted I believe from the fertilizer used when they were first planted.

Congrats on your first tax token!

Thanks!

I found my first brass buckle yesterday in front of the house about 6 in down. It still had a bit of leather attached to it but disintegrated when I touched it. Not sure of the age but I cannot see where it had a steel prong unless it is so old the steel had rusted completely away. Going by stories I've heard of my father and grandpa using mules to plow with I think this may be off of a harness.

Attachments

• IMG_0915.jpg
    IMG_0915.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 102
i love tokens ! Great find , and especially great to find out the era used. ! Thanks for sharing !

Very nice find! And very interesting purpose that it was used for too.
Thanks JAK!

i love tokens ! Great find , and especially great to find out the era used. ! Thanks for sharing !

Thanks jbrow! I found the years it was used off the Numista website. The 5 mils were made from brass and I would like to find one of those too.

Back
Top Bottom