• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Somebody has to do it

Owl Engineering

Forum Supporter
Picture is of me packed up and ready to depart to France. Actually I am in Paris now and will head for the Riviera next week.

Will do some serious detecting and my wife will shoot some videos and stills of me hunting with my new gear :p

I am sure lucky to be able to do this and love every minute of it.

My first trip to Europe was in 1985 to Germany and really killed it. I am of the opinion that I was the first in the fresh water in Germany since I did not feel any soft spots in the sand and found gold without stopping.

My best 2 weeks was 1.1 pounds of gold jewelry

Those days are gone but still love finding even one ring.

Chuck

Attachments

• CVZME7001 adjusted.jpg
    CVZME7001 adjusted.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 927
great story. Reminds me of the stories of the guys here in CA who were the first ones to get into/onto certain locations. It was like taking candy from a baby. Stories of 8 to 10 gold rings per day. Or 50 silver coins in a day, etc... Merely by being the first ever to exploit a good spot !

How and why I went to Germany

great story. Reminds me of the stories of the guys here in CA who were the first ones to get into/onto certain locations. It was like taking candy from a baby. Stories of 8 to 10 gold rings per day. Or 50 silver coins in a day, etc... Merely by being the first ever to exploit a good spot !

Back in the old days I wanted to learn more so I send a snail mail letter with a check in it (to a magazine in the UK) so I could get their metal detecting magazine.

Months went by and it finally arrived.

One little note said: Congratulations to the first metal detecting club in Germany

So I thought, the boys usually hunt the land for years before going into the water. How do I find out if the water is virgin?

Buy a ticket and go!! Yes, that is what I did.

Unable to speak German etc. I just did it.

When I arrived near a lake, it was 3 pm and had not secured a hotel. I figured I would hit the lake for an hour and find a hotel.

In that 1 hour, I found 3 huge wedding bands. I know I had hit the jackpot

:cool3:

Chuck

Back in the old days I wanted to learn more so I send a snail mail letter with a check in it (to a magazine in the UK) so I could get their metal detecting magazine.

Months went by and it finally arrived.

One little note said: Congratulations to the first metal detecting club in Germany

So I thought, the boys usually hunt the land for years before going into the water. How do I find out if the water is virgin?

Buy a ticket and go!! Yes, that is what I did.

Unable to speak German etc. I just did it.

When I arrived near a lake, it was 3 pm and had not secured a hotel. I figured I would hit the lake for an hour and find a hotel.

In that 1 hour, I found 3 huge wedding bands. I know I had hit the jackpot

:cool3:

Chuck
What an EPIC adventure ! The things we all do sometimes , especially when younger. Throwing caution to the wind and going for it. I might have just slept on the beach or rental car and never left that lake until it was bone dry. You got over a pound of gold in 2 weeks. Took me 5 months to get mine. Those were the days....

Pictures, I want pictures!!!! Safe Travels. Is there not a travel ban in place to Europe for non essential travel?

Tell

Your wife forum member's want some French eye candy in those video's , some French wine dinner shot's , must be nice Chuck , live everyday , like it's your last , enjoy your trip , is that were your going to retire ?

.... I know I had hit the jackpot

Where I'm at in CA is "chaparral" terrain . Boom and bust cycles, so that , for most swim lakes, you can just opt for a dry drought summer, and just walk out on dry land. No need for wading or snorkeling, or underwater gear, etc....

HOWEVER, a few of the sierra foothill ponds are regulated, such that the water level never fluctuates much (at least not back in the old days). And a few of these ponds have been popular swim spots. With rocky cliffs to dive in off of, etc....

Some early enterprising md'rs, with the first underwater machines of the 1980s/90s, wised up and wondered "what's under the water ?". Lo & behold, at the recurring popular dive spots, it was a plethora of rings (and the obligatory beer cans, etc....).

...I might have just slept on the beach or rental car and never left that lake until ......

There was a fellow in my area, who was the first ever , in the mid 1970s, to hit a boyscout camp that dated to the 1920s (or '30s ?). There was SO MUCH SILVER between each sets of two-trees (since that's where the scouts string up to build their tent pads), that , at times, they were just on their hands and knees, scuttling from silver to silver, non stop. In fact, it was so thick at first, that he said you could merely take a stick, and disturb the elevated sides of each of the tent-pad squares (where generations of boyscouts had "swept" the leaves/duff to the sides, @ each weekend), that : You could just see silver dimes roll out of the bank.

They eventually got to where they just stayed there, over night, camping out. In order to just hunt till they dropped each night. And just camp out on the spot. Doh !

I went with them in the early 1980s, after they'd pillaged all the easy pickens. Because , by then, discriminators and added depth were adding more silver coins. We could still get 3 or 4 silver coins at will, with ease. But his stories, from 5 or 6 yrs. earlier, were legend !

I just did some international travel, it was a real pita, had to get tested to get in to the US *antigen test only* and having a mask on for most of the day was annoying for sure, but you got to do it these days.
Enjoy your trip, safe travels!

Tough traveling???

I just did some international travel, it was a real pita, had to get tested to get in to the US *antigen test only* and having a mask on for most of the day was annoying for sure, but you got to do it these days.
Enjoy your trip, safe travels!

I flew a 777. Maybe 75 aboard

Sleep in 4 across seats.

Only had to show proof of vaccination in France.

Free flight, finally used up Sky Miles

Stopped at an outside cafe for a beer and had to show proof that we were vaccinated. The waitress did not have a mask on.

All in all, I am a happy camper.

Probably not a lot of hunters in the waters at Cannes :cool3:

Chuck

Only had to show proof of vaccination ...

Curious, what do they consider "proof of vaccination" ? So, if someone is hell-bent on not getting vaccinated (because they think it's some sort of conspiracy), is it possible to just .... uh ... get the paper from ... uh ... somewhere ? :?:

papers

Curious, what do they consider "proof of vaccination" ? So, if someone is hell-bent on not getting vaccinated (because they think it's some sort of conspiracy), is it possible to just .... uh ... get the paper from ... uh ... somewhere ? :?:

Yes, vaccination papers are being counterfeited.
I just showed the little card that the University of Michigan gave me.
Maybe we should have a tatoo on our left arm to show we have been vaccinated.

Chuck

You either need to show proof of vaccination ....

And as you say, these are being successfully forged, right ?

....Tell your friend about ScubaDetective!....

I already know what they'd say. They'd say that persons like this (whose deaths were attributed to covid), merely died of other things. But that hospitals are now chalking up ANYTHING and EVERYTHING to covid.

An example of this, is : In this person's modular home community, a lady died. And the death was said to be d/t covid. But ... looking closer at the data, she was like 93 yrs. old. Uh ... ok ... so do tell ... isn't it reasonable to assume that, sure, a 93 yr. old was ... uh ... probably going to pass d/t something ?

So this person is convinced that hospitals are scurrying to chalk up every death to covid, because it reimburses more for govt. subsidies, or some such corrupting motivations. To simply attribute as many deaths to this, as possible. When truth be told, we will all pass of various things, no matter, at some point. So they'd probably surmise that Scuba passed d/t something else. :?:

I'm just playing the devil's advocate. Re.: what this person would say. I have no horse in the race. But I'm trying to get them on a plane, so we can do a metal detecting trip. And they're fussing 'cuz they think the vaccine is a conspiracy. Eg.: tracking devices implanted, blah blah. So .... this is why I was wondering if just getting them forged vaccine papers, would shut them up so we can get on with this detecting trip ! :laughing:

If anyone has proof , that I can give this md'ing buddy, that the vaccine is NOT a tracking or operating system to control the masses, let me know. And ... whatever link you can provide, how do I counter their expected push-back that : A) the link is simply a part of the conspiracy to 'keep us all in the dark as to the real purpose and intentions of a secret cabal, and B) that the person in the link "simply doesn't know" and is "simply uninformed".

Do we have any psychologists in our ranks that can lend me a hand on this ? :pullhair:

Back
Top Bottom