Tom, Big storm tomorrow!

I'm tracking this sucker. But for Tom up there if it's not 20'+ surf , high tides of 8.1+ and winds blowing 40+ out of the south , he ain't going !

Haha. The high tides are poor at this time of month, unfortunately. :mad:

I'm tracking this sucker. But for Tom up there if it's not 20'+ surf , ....

For my part of CA, my benchmark criteria is 15 ft or more for NW, but only 5 ft if from S to SW direction.

Because each beaches acclimate to their own norms.

More to come this evening they say. :iwish:

The swells tomorrow are poised to be straight on west (270* ) So Lighthouse point will likely shadow Santa Cruz main beach (which needs some "south" direction in the swell). And the winds which are south today, turn west tomorrow as well. That, plus the high tides are only 5 ft. tomorrow :(

Not sure whether the swell heights are high enough to erode NW facing beaches, given the wimpy tides. But I'll probably try it by tomorrow night's low tide anyhow.

The swells tomorrow are poised to be straight on west (270* ) So Lighthouse point will likely shadow Santa Cruz main beach (which needs some "south" direction in the swell). And the winds which are south today, turn west tomorrow as well. That, plus the high tides are only 5 ft. tomorrow :(

Not sure whether the swell heights are high enough to erode NW facing beaches, given the wimpy tides. But I'll probably try it by tomorrow night's low tide anyhow.
Sounds like my plan . Surf , tides aren't happening yet in O.C or LA. A few small cuts here and there. Supposed to get much bigger surf , hopefully some winds what that. But the tides aren't the greatest. Tomorrow night could be decent.

Good Luck Mr KOB! We will be waiting for the report.. Hope the storms don't cause anymore ship accidents!

.... Tomorrow night could be decent.

Yes. Not sure about southern CA, but despite the overcast skies and rain and local-winds, yet the actual swells (that accompany all that) aren't poised to arrive until mid morning tomorrow.

Depending on what the various beach cam's show by mid afternoon, I'll decide which beach to try by tomorrow night's low tide time.

Bummer that the high tides aren't that high. Because if all these swells do is "bash around in the inter-tidal zone that is ALREADY acclimated to that", then ....doesn't do much good. Does better when it "bashes around" up high at the normally high-sand area, further back up on the beach. When it hits that incline (rather than the flat inter-tidal zone) is when it's more likely to erode "down" .

Ok ok, enough ranting. Let's all git out there and try it out ! I expect no less than 3 gold rings from you Kob, by tomorrow night's show & tell report . Tsk tsk :cool3:

I just checked sc beaches and waves are about half of what magic seaweed was predicting but the rains have brought about the beginning of heroin needle season yesterday i was using my best spanish to warn two mexican guys there were about 5 needles right where they were about walk and right about then a surfer kid came past me and almost stepped on one

I just checked sc beaches .....

By "sc" you mean Santa Cruz ?

If so, the beach cam, as of this afternoon, didn't look like anything significant there so far. Maybe by tomorrow, when the swell-train arrives to this part of CA. And hopefully contains a bit of "south" in it, to get past Lighthouse point for you guys.

I'm gonna be trying beaches on the south part of the bay here.

When I read about the intensity of the storms rolling in, one of my first thoughts was Tom going over all the reports. I noticed the incoming swells too...with the winds that should create enough of an "erosion" environment to give it a shot either later tomorrow or early Tuesday. Good luck to all!

I'll keep a weather eye out...

I've been doing a bit of scouting around the southern half of the bay, wind knocked me on my can twice, and wind-blown sneaker jumped up a little cut and got my Hokas. Nothing doing in terms of targets yet, but I'll be out and about the next 2-3 days, because things are starting to line up a bit.

All the Monterey Bay beaches were dismal. How did you southern CA guys do ?

I'm mentally distraught. I thought this was gonna be the start of the season. Seems like the end. All these weather experts are messing with me. Went and looked at 5 beaches , hunting 3. Bigger surf lasted just a few hours then tapered off. Some wind and rain. Did find a solid 4-5' cut going a few hundred yards = nothing. Barely ANY targets. Maybe got 75c. No jewelry. Saw 1 guy working the firepits of all things. Another rotten beach had scoop drag marks all over the towel line. This was so wrong on all levels...

A buddy of mine did get this 14k necklace, with diamonds, off of a beach in my area. Estimated 7 grams of 14k .

And I heard of another friend who found a big men's gold band at another beach near me. But in each case, target populations were wimpy and scattered. Eg.: No more than 30-ish coins per hunter.

Attachments

• aaron.jpg
    aaron.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 276
It cleaned up good! I was optimistic on the weight, 6.1 grams but no complaints here. About 1 carat total weight on the diamonds, very clean stones too. Only 26 coins but this beach has a high treasure to trash ratio.

Attachments

• 4162C788-AB41-41A8-A625-F5FDA47ADC05.jpg
    4162C788-AB41-41A8-A625-F5FDA47ADC05.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 218
.... Only 26 coins but this beach has a high treasure to trash ratio.

Aaron, I know you worked your @$$ off for that. So you got a fitting reward :D.

Yes, the target count wasn't very good anywhere here . A buddy of mine got 70 coins (and a gold band) @ a "certain" beach yesterday here. But that was only after multiple hours. And as you know, when mother nature is doing-her-thing correctly, you can get that many targets, non-stop on good erosion spots, each hour.

If I had been there at your location yesterday, I would have gotten disgusted at the meager scattered targets, and left long before that showed up. Thus : You deserved that puppy. Congratz !

Came out of summer exile to survey the beach damage caused by the Bomb Cyclone. Went to 5 spots but didn't see anything worth stopping for, at least at high tide. A few small cuts here and there but mushy sand below. Goofy tide cycle with a 9 hour delta between the high and low. Ocean still a little angry with decent swell. Maybe tomorrow......

-Jerry

Back
Top Bottom