Tutoring a young detector

CallMeGrey

Forum Supporter
Stopped at a nearby farm yesterday for permission - they had a freshly harvested field next to their yard. They had a son who came out and asked a lot of questions and said he always wanted to try metal detecting, so I went back this morning with my Vanquish 540 backup to see if he wanted to try it out.

I went through some basic instructions and showed him how to dig a plug. then we started to do the yard. After a few minutes I got a decent signal and called him over. He covered the same area, got the signal, and I taught him how to pinpoint. I let him dig the plug, he flipped it over, and I handed him the carrot. Lo and behold, he pulls a 1926 Mercury dime out of the plug!!

So yeah, I think he's probably hooked now. He also told me that several years ago his mom bought him a toy detector and threw 8 quarters in the yard by the side of the house. They never found any of them, so they're still there. He had found one of them before I left. I'm letting him use the Vanquish for a few days, so I hope he finds the rest.

I'm letting him use the vanquish and an extra Lesche digger that I had. I feel bad that I didn't have any extra pinpointer. I hope he does alright without one. If he takes up the hobby he has a lot of prime ground available. His family has been farming in the area for over 100 yrs and his present family have a couple farms nearby.

It was a fun morning!

Nice job! Kids at the beach often ask how it works. It is fun to turn off the headphones so they can hear signals and then toss a coin or two into the sand.

Back
Top Bottom