found medallion

hssea

Found this medallion at 8 inches deep. Rang up as 78 with Garrett AT Pro. Backside can barely see what looks like images/ letters. Found in Northern Michigan. Not getting much information while researching .

Attachments

• medallion front.jpg
    medallion front.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 505
  • medallion back.jpg
    medallion back.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 507
I've got no idea but I'd be thrilled to dig something like that! Awesome find!

Grizz

No stamp, but we are thinking it's made from a old coin...possibly barber quarter because of couple of faint letters and star we can see on the backside.

Look up English Board of Ordnance Chief's gun. It's a good quality Indian trade gun of the 18th and early 19th century

Attachments

• 131499218_5420984257915471_7104383076181692832_n.jpg
    131499218_5420984257915471_7104383076181692832_n.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 420
Look up English Board of Ordnance Chief's gun. It's a good quality Indian trade gun of the 18th and early 19th century
By Jove I believe you nailed it. A decorative medallion on the top wrist of a trade gun rifle stock Very well done!

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

Good ID Albatrosdva

Chief’s Gun FM: McPheeters Antique Militaria

Within the category of trade guns, there is this well defined and long recognized subset of Chief’s Guns which were enhanced with finer mountings, embellished with engravings, and most noticeably, fitted with a silver medallion on the top of the wrist featuring a native warrior in high relief. These guns were the top of the line within the field of trade guns and were intended, as the name implies, for presentations or gifts to the tribal leaders in order to curry their favor and cement alliances. Certainly the British recognized the value of making these presentations, and although Chiefs guns were limited in production and likewise survive in smaller numbers today, they represented an important element in the arena of trade and diplomacy in the New World.

These Chief’s grade trade guns are examined in detail in The Encyclopedia of Trade Guns, Volume 1 – Firearms of the Fur Trade written by James Hanson and published by the Museum of the Fur Trade

Good ID Albatrosdva

Chief’s Gun FM: McPheeters Antique Militaria

Within the category of trade guns, there is this well defined and long recognized subset of Chief’s Guns which were enhanced with finer mountings, embellished with engravings, and most noticeably, fitted with a silver medallion on the top of the wrist featuring a native warrior in high relief. These guns were the top of the line within the field of trade guns and were intended, as the name implies, for presentations or gifts to the tribal leaders in order to curry their favor and cement alliances. Certainly the British recognized the value of making these presentations, and although Chiefs guns were limited in production and likewise survive in smaller numbers today, they represented an important element in the arena of trade and diplomacy in the New World.

These Chief’s grade trade guns are examined in detail in The Encyclopedia of Trade Guns, Volume 1 – Firearms of the Fur Trade written by James Hanson and published by the Museum of the Fur Trade

Thanks TNT . This site has been great , we've learned so much !!

Found this medallion at 8 inches deep. Rang up as 78 with Garrett AT Pro. Backside can barely see what looks like images/ letters. Found in Northern Michigan. Not getting much information while researching .

Nice find! And great Sherlock Holmes detective work by Albatrosdva!

Just for fun, a friend of mine posted a photograph of his collection

Attachments

• chief's guns.jpg
    chief's guns.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 165
Back
Top Bottom