My coolest and my oddest finds

Albatrosdva

Ok, just for a little background. In undergrad, I was a double major in US History and Anthropology. As such I have some formal training as an archaeologist. I used the digs to train my eye for Native American pottery and that sort of thing. Then I would go down to the river and find stuff. While not technically dug since one was on the surface and one was under water, I consider these my most interesting finds. I grew up in western NC solidly in Cherokee country. You really couldn't dig anywhere without finding something. I found the unknown clay tube in the Tuckasegee River. There was a great spot in the river where a sizeable creek joined the river and all the rock coming down the creek stopped flowing when it met the river. I have several cigar boxes full of pottery shards. I found the tube in this backwater where a small island formed and there was a small stream diverted from the river. I asked the archaeology department and their best guess is a pipe stem. I found the Holloway in a lake that my grandparents lived on in Anderson, SC. Each year in the winter they would drop the lake for repairs to docks or whatever but one year they needed to do repair work to the dam and the water was way lower. It's fun to find a 10,000-year-old point right on the surface. The lake has been there since the 1930s and that constant saturation had gotten rid of the plowzone soil but left the rocks so there were really great features. Little piles of rocks that had been flaked off a preform. Lots of preform rocks and several other finished points.

Sorry for the long explanation. Hope you enjoy.

Attachments

• DSCF9068.jpg
    DSCF9068.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 241
  • DSCF9069.jpg
    DSCF9069.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 230
  • DSCF9070.jpg
    DSCF9070.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 219
  • DSCF9072.jpg
    DSCF9072.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 221
  • DSCF9073.JPG
    DSCF9073.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 234
Those are cool! My brother used to find a bunch of arrowheads in a field behind his house. We are thinking they are Choctaw since they dominated much of MS.

Ok, just for a little background. In undergrad, I was a double major in US History and Anthropology. As such I have some formal training as an archaeologist. I used the digs to train my eye for Native American pottery and that sort of thing. Then I would go down to the river and find stuff. While not technically dug since one was on the surface and one was under water, I consider these my most interesting finds. I grew up in western NC solidly in Cherokee country. You really couldn't dig anywhere without finding something. I found the unknown clay tube in the Tuckasegee River. There was a great spot in the river where a sizeable creek joined the river and all the rock coming down the creek stopped flowing when it met the river. I have several cigar boxes full of pottery shards. I found the tube in this backwater where a small island formed and there was a small stream diverted from the river. I asked the archaeology department and their best guess is a pipe stem. I found the Holloway in a lake that my grandparents lived on in Anderson, SC. Each year in the winter they would drop the lake for repairs to docks or whatever but one year they needed to do repair work to the dam and the water was way lower. It's fun to find a 10,000-year-old point right on the surface. The lake has been there since the 1930s and that constant saturation had gotten rid of the plowzone soil but left the rocks so there were really great features. Little piles of rocks that had been flaked off a preform. Lots of preform rocks and several other finished points.

Are there any public areas that can be detected? I’ll be in Cherokee in the end of March and I’d love to bring my AT Pro with me.

That is great for people in our hobby. I wish I knew more about these really old projectiles. I find a fair number in the years out detecting and know nothing about their age. I assume most are Native American since I live in southwest Kansas, but this area history goes back to the 14th century at least.

ahead3.jpg

These I believe are bird points?

ahead4.jpg

A friend just showed me one that he dug while digging metal. Very nice finds. Thats cool that they take the lake down every year. Sounds fun.

Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Back
Top Bottom