• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Treasure Coast Bound!

O'Rork

I sold my house Tuesday. Leave for Florida Feb 10. Should be at Port St Lucie by the 14th. I am pumped! Will buy a trailer in a senior trailer park. Get a new little motorcycle. Get a new minelab waterproof rig and spend my days swinging and going to margarita bars! What a way to go...

I sold my house Tuesday. Leave for Florida Feb 10. Should be at Port St Lucie by the 14th. I am pumped! Will buy a trailer in a senior trailer park. Get a new little motorcycle. Get a new minelab waterproof rig and spend my days swinging and going to margarita bars! What a way to go...

Man I a so happy for you. That is where I would like to be, but still have family obligations in Atlanta.

A new 800 will do you well. Learn to read the beach. I suggest some of Clive Clynick's books on finding rings on the beach. Being a local with an 800 you will have all the advantages. Treasures from the 1715 sunken fleet of eleven ships are not far off shore the treasure coast. With in a mile or two.

Beach combers have actually found reales and gold chains after storms just walking the beach. When not hunting for Spanish treasure (Those are real treasure sites that keep on giving) hunt in front of the most expensive hotels/condo. That is where the expensive bling visits and they love to take it to the beach to show off their expesive bling. But sun, sweat, sunscreen and surf often separates the rich people from their bling. They are also afraid to trust their expensive bling to the hotel safes or leave in their condo where the cleaning staff could steal it.

Keep us posted once you get down there and settled. Be fun to hear about your adventures.

O Rork,
I wish I would have had the balls to do that when I retired in 1999, but I didn't and most likely will live out my days in Pennsylvania.......and Maxxkatt, you really have the common sense approach to finding the best stuff....I don't think that info is coming from your first rodeo.......Good luck O rork, and keep us posted...Pete

Sounds like a very peaceful plan you have. Hope to be in your shoes soon, kick back and enjoy life. Good luck with your adventures and make sure to post all your finds.

O Rork,
I wish I would have had the balls to do that when I retired in 1999, but I didn't and most likely will live out my days in Pennsylvania.......and Maxxkatt, you really have the common sense approach to finding the best stuff....I don't think that info is coming from your first rodeo.......Good luck O rork, and keep us posted...Pete

The west coast of Fl is sweet perfect sugar like white sand up in the panhandle area and of course good ring country.

But and a big but the east coast has the good waves, wind and tidal action and that combination will sort out the light worthless junk and the sinkers, old coins and rings into certain areas. A good beach hunter knows where to look for those areas.

If you are just finding light junk you are not in those areas and you should move and look for those areas where you start finding multiple sinkers.

Plus storms will either build a beach (add more sand) or remove sand. You want it to remove sand. Walking barefoot in the ankle deep water if the sand is firm, it is eroding. If you sink downs some it is building. Eroding is much better to hunt since it is removing sand from buried targets getting your coil head closer to the target. Believe it or not building can add 2-3 feet of sand and eroding can remove the same amount in several days.

When an ocean beach has been building for several days, it is time to leave the wet sand and go for the towel line. Of course you could luck out on a very recent drop in the water, but the odds are against you with a building beach.

This is why local hunters have the advantage of the weekly vacationing joes hunting the beach for a few days.

Living the dream. That was my plan as well when I retired. Good luck and send lots of pictures.

There is something for just about every budget in Florida mobile home parks. There are fixer uppers to be had from a few thousand dollars and up. The central part of the state is more affordable than the coasts. Being such a skinny state either coast is just a couple of hours from the gulf or ocean.

Lot rents maybe start at $400 a month but you will not have property taxes.

Winter in Florida is much more pleasant than Iowa. And in the summer you might want to take an extended vacation in the midwest. Good luck!

sshheesshh, I'm jealous. Are you sure you don't want to trade places with me ? And keep working ? I'll sell you a street sweeper business CHEAP ! Let me retire to the double-wide in Florida ! :laughing:

What about hurricanes? Bye bye trailer!:no:

sshheesshh, I'm jealous. Are you sure you don't want to trade places with me ? And keep working ? I'll sell you a street sweeper business CHEAP ! Let me retire to the double-wide in Florida ! :laughing:

Let me tell you some of those double wides in FL are really nice. My mom and dad retired in Naples, FL in a retirement park of double wides. Some of those have covenants to keep the park looking very nice. Inside the double wides it is hard to tell that it is a trailer. His had a screened in carport with a nice sized area at the end of the carport where he had about a 20 x 18 wood working shed.

Not the same as mobile home parks in Georgia (where you don't want to live).

Get better deals about 20 minutes inland. Heck a 20 min drive to the beach is just about perfect.

What about hurricanes? Bye bye trailer!:no:

they have very strict codes for doublewides in FL. The frames are strapped down to anchors in the ground. But of course a Cat 5 pretty much flattens them but tropical storms and cat 1-2 they may get damages some but typically stay in place. At lease on the west coast around Naples where my mom and dad lived for 20 years.

Back
Top Bottom