• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

added another excal

sexton

Forum Supporter
Picked up another excal 1000 this makes 3-1000 and 1 excal 2. I will be adding this one to the new setup from Owl Engineering.
Need to order new decals

Attachments

• 1880413923884103502.jpg
    1880413923884103502.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 231
Obn

Can tell you if any , over the years he tore enough apart to make improvements, my personal preference are the Blues , had two Excal 2s , gone , back to Obn moded - two blues back from the days he worked on them , Sword Gary Storm models came 1st, 2nd the Blues , current 2s , I call them the Green Machine , happy hunting.

With the mods that have been done to my blue machines headphone pinpoint. I like the tones better.
I'm sure OBN can add his thoughts on to this

Good luck with the new toy buddy! :yes:

What's the difference between the 1000 and II?
Lots of differences but not much of a performance advantage. Like all detectors that have been built for several years, different vendors can equal different quality of components. Starting with the coil they went to a slim version for the green, both the 8 and 10 inch. The coil cable quality got worse on the green and the same for the battery cable. I repair many a battery cables on the green, the blue I can't remember fixing any. The pod on the green was shielded, the head phones were grounded to the board. The blues were not but the blue had a better set of head phones, audio was clearier, and louder. Both set of head phones for the blue and green sucked as far as fit. The Head phone cable for the blue, way better quality..greens are famous for peeling. Pod decals changed from the blue to the green..think that was 2006 or 2007. Most of the blues were made in Ireland..1998 to 2004/5 then manufacturing went to malaysia..and quality, reliability got worse. One thing that never changed, that poor shaft..some say they were made like that for diving..I say they were made like that for it was cheap. Think that's it..most prefer the blues.. don't make any difference to me..I chop them up and redo for it is painful for me to test or use a stock machine. One reason some one ask what machine to buy, I say the Nox.. a much better machine out of the box...a few changes to the excalibur..it becomes a better machine..a few more changes and then I honestly think, with the right user..it is hard to match.

Joe

Very detailed , don't think you missed anything , one other question I have , the posts seem beefier over the Green Machine, or maybe the under the pod post guts , any difference ?. All in all, maybe a bit heavier , do to build guality from different countries. ?

Re: the headphone grounding and pod shielding on the green. How does one recognize this - is it the green label is aluminum instead of only plastic? What would a headphone ground check be? I have two excals from parts and possibly a stock II coming soon and want them the best they can be.

Re: the headphone grounding and pod shielding on the green. How does one recognize this - is it the green label is aluminum instead of only plastic? What would a headphone ground check be? I have two excals from parts and possibly a stock II coming soon and want them the best they can be.

First thing is chuck those stock head phones.. build yourself a good set..with Gel Pads. The shielding never helped me, what did help was removing the knobs, you never touch.

Back
Top Bottom