All of us guys still have the little boy inside.

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
This is my conclusion from reading the forums for the past six years. A common thread with the guys on the forum is that we remember what it was as a boy growing up finding things. I really think that is whey metal detecting is mainly a guy thing.

I grew up in a great small southern town of Perry, GA. From about 8 or 9 years of age, my friends and I roamed far and wide in that little town and out to the country side. It only took a 5 min bike ride to reach the city limits and the farmland.

That was when parents did not worry about their kids of that age being out of sight. In the summer we left after breakfast and came home before dinner time. We always carried a little change to get a soda and junk food at the little corner store. Virtually no crime in that little town other than an occasional drunk.

Finding things was always on our mind before we started liking girls.

Arrowheads were plentiful in a recently ploughed field. Neat bottles were found in creeks. It was just plain fun to be out away from the adults and find things.

Now many years later, guess what? Being outside and away from the wife and her "honey do" list and finding things is just as much fun for me as it was as a kid. Maybe even more fun because I find better things and have a piece of high tech gear to play with.

It gets me totally away from everyday adult concerns. When hunting, thinking about detecting and not much else.

Even when I am driving around metro Atlanta in the suburbs I am always looking for big groups of oak trees that might harbor an old home site. And most do in our area. I go home to use historic aerials to confirm or pooh- pooh my possible discovery.

No matter where I am hunting, the next good or even bad signal can bring a delightful surprise. Be it a silver coin or just a brass boy scout slide. Modern junk? Well that enables me to use my vocabulary of bad words with no one around. Hey, I learned a lot of them growing up and in the Army. But as a rule, don't ever use them except on modern trash finds.

You never ever know that the next hunt may produce for you. Even those rather non-productive hunts I come home pleasantly tired and then start planning my next hunt around the weather and wife's chore list.

I have been looking for that hot spot my whole life. I’m always looking for a good place to go hunting or fishing. Now somehow I need to fit metal detecting in. Trying to find that hot spot for all three has the same feel for me. I’ve had a good life and don’t have may regrets. But I wish I would have started metal detecting a long time ago. I’m guessing it makes me feel 12
It’s a lot of fun!

Back
Top Bottom