• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Ring finders who blame others

LongJohnSilver1

Elite Member
This is a peeve of mine which I'm seeing a bit of, but I'm not sure there's much that can be done.
Ring finders here are charging people something like $200 just to look for an item, and when they fail it's always "other detectorists have taken it" which is going to generate ill will towards us.

Now maybe sometimes it's true, but they don't really know. The person might have them searching in the wrong place, or maybe they simply missed it (something I've seen them completely unwilling to admit to), or maybe it's sunk beyond range.

For me it's just a classless attempt to cover their failure. I've tried to balance this kind of negativity by searching for stuff for free if people ask me at the beach.

Has anyone else encountered this?

If you join Ring Keepers that Felix started there are no fees for finding rings :yes:

Years ago a guy who lost a ring posted the beach and took pictures where the ring should be a bunch of us were going to search for it for him... I told him to take the pictures off the net... I explained why... it was too late we got to the area looked like the beach had come under a mortar attack... we don't charge for finding anything... now donations are excepted but we don't ask for them...

I've looked for a couple items for folks and I wouldn't think of asking for a fee but if they offer something a reasonable amount wouldn't be rejected. I'm glad to help when I can.

Cliff

I've never encountered this personally, but from what I've heard about some people who use that site, this behavior doesn't surprise me.

It's so easy for "the powers that be" to outlaw our hobby or make it more difficult for us. So it's a shame anyone would engage in the type of behavior your mention, OP. But I guess it's legal for them to do so and we can't stop them. Oh well...

I've yet to see that here, but I have seen a few online blame the Ring Finders for cutting into there take. I guess the door swings both ways.

The 200 dollar fee might be cheap if scuba gear must be used in zero visibility muddy water with current and putting a boat in the water for a significant ride to the site.

I've had the pleasure of finding five wedding rings over the years. Each time I was approached while detecting at my local beach and asked for help. I was able to find their rings on every occasion. All are great little stories about the characters and their joy of having their rings handed back to them.

I've always tried to help folks find their car keys and lost rings when asked.
It's a really nice feeling to give back and I think bodes well for the hobby.

Been offered dinner and drinks and hard cash but never accepted. Just the right thing to do.......

I've had the pleasure of finding five wedding rings over the years. Each time I was approached while detecting at my local beach and asked for help. I was able to find their rings on every occasion. All are great little stories about the characters and their joy of having their rings handed back to them.

Been offered dinner and drinks and hard cash but never accepted. Just the right thing to do.......

Agreed

The 200 dollar fee might be cheap if scuba gear must be used in zero visibility muddy water with current and putting a boat in the water for a significant ride to the site.
There are circumstances that do warrant a fee but that is a different animal. Wading at the beach is far different than what you describe and those are few and far between.

Cliff

This is a peeve of mine which I'm seeing a bit of, but I'm not sure there's much that can be done.
Ring finders here are charging people something like $200 just to look for an item, ....

L-J-Silver : There is many issues I have with your post :

1) The lament you have can go for ANY md'ing hobbyist efforts. For when we like to go help people @ posse hunts. Why do you seem to imply it's unique to the Ring-Finders directory thing ??

If the train-of-events you spelled were even true in the first place, then it could likewise apply to any other type attempt/ efforts/groups. Ring-Finders is not unique to this potential accusation.

2) There is not cross-the-board "$200 fee", whether or not the object is found. Each member can make his own cost scale. And each potential customer is able to say yes or no .

I personally tell the persons : "No charge if I'm not successful, and whatever tip you think is fair, if I'm successful". On some occasions I've had to ask for a cost up front because it involved a day's travel and gas, time off of work, etc... But for the vast majority, it's just for the fun and challenge and goodwill.

3) I have NEVER heard of anyone telling a distraught person "Gee, I guess some other vulture must've found it, and is being stingy and keeping [aka stealing] it".

If you have any documented case of this happening, then : That is not a reflection on R.F. That's a reflection on the poor social skills of some individual R.F. member. Ie.: you do NOT tell people that (even if it were true).

If you join Ring Keepers that Felix started there are no fees for finding rings :yes:
Correct Craig, but that was for the original membership. For new members there's still no charge to join "RingKeepers", however, new members now must promise to forward 20% of the retail value of found rings to the original members. :yes: :D We're calling this the "Tom Rule". :lol:

Correct Craig, but that was for the original membership. For new members there's still no charge to join "RingKeepers", however, new members now must promise to forward 20% of the retail value of found rings to the original members. :yes: :D We're calling this the "Tom Rule". :lol:

Please its bad enough I have to read that drivel from Tom each time a new member signs up he tells them that nonsense about paying him 30% its getting rather old in my book... if you start that nonsense I may block you :lol:

Years ago a guy who lost a ring posted the beach and took pictures where the ring should be a bunch of us were going to search for it for him... I told him to take the pictures off the net... I explained why... it was too late we got to the area looked like the beach had come under a mortar attack... we don't charge for finding anything... now donations are excepted but we don't ask for them...

Ring Keepers was started by Felix ? So why is he returning rings now ? Is he now repenting , renouncing , ashamed.....I don't get it...

A lot of difference between being at the beach and people asking for help or being on call 24/7. I've been on calls 3 hours travel one way from my house. Should, I do a call like that for free? One of my pet peeves are people saying I should be doing these calls for free. The last 2 years, I was gone every weekend from July 4 to labor day on recovery calls. This took a lot of time from my family. Why should I be doing this all for free?

I'm with The Ring Finders. I've been averaging about 20 calls a year. We are all independent contractors. Finders can chose to have a flat fee or a reward basis. I don't know anybody who has a flat fee. I personally do not expect and reward if the ring is not found. If, I find the ring a reward is nice but not expected they are optional. If people are young, financially strapped or just don't want to give a reward that's fine. I just want a picture for my book of smiles. I have turned down 2 rewards because they were to big. I just told the person that's not necessary, a smaller amount is fine. Probably stupid on my part. I have equipment expenses. Last year my 11" coil on the CTX went bad due to so many recovery calls its been on. That cost $350.00 to replace.

If you have an issue with somebody, get his name and call Chris. He is very easy to deal with and he will do the right thing. If the person agrees to $200.00 before the search starts nothing will be done. They made an agreement/contract.

Maybe

My thought's , between zincon admiration , In charge of a school , CEO of Ring Finder's , No Miami Eye Candy , In the Miami speedo club , owner of a Sun Glass hut now owned by China , :roll: I am starting to wonder if he lost some marbles in all the action :shock::lol: Or Craig called it correct :okpeople::crazy::crazy::crazy::confused::snapoutofit::dontgetit::lol2::my2cents::nothingtoadd: Felix any New Year's resolutions :?::lol:

I haven't taken large rewards, just gas money maybe. The happy dancing they did, or actual tears from their eyes, are memories way beyond cash money.

BUT I certainly wouldn't turn down drinks ;-)

.... The happy dancing they did, or actual tears from their eyes, are memories way beyond cash money....

Funny thing is, that when I have family and friends over to my house (party, or holiday, or whatever), If I show them through my museum cabinet displays, I will invariably be pointing out rare coins, gold coins, rare buttons, etc....

But then my wife will come out and start regaling our guest with the various ring reunion stories. As if that tops gold coins. Doh !

But seriously now, you're right : We all enjoy the human relations stories that money-can't-buy.

But seriously now, you're right : We all enjoy the human relations stories that money-can't-buy.

Have you had a woman come to "hug" you yet but she is traveling at full speed? She just about broke my back tackling me.

I help when I can and don’t ask for a fee. I sent 3 back in the past couple of week …. 2 I paid postage for. Then waited and finally had to send a message to ensure they got them …. Ugh. This also has the local FB page or clubs checking out your FB page for lost rings. I do know a couple that joined just to find lost rings and keep um. Few systems that don’t have flaws. Not sure I could charge someone just for looking thou ….

Back
Top Bottom