Scuba Diving must haves

cellrdwellr

Elite Member
I just purchased a blu3 nemo, and want to spend the winter looking into the best diving accessories, then once I feel I have what I need, I'll start practicing in my pool. I'll be diving in freshwater, mostly in 4-8' of water with minimal visibility, and many obstructions (mainly large rocks). Any recommendations on a dry/wet suit? Any other must haves? Thanks for any input!

I'm a land lubber so unfortunately I can offer no advice Jeff but good luck on your new adventures. Will be looking forward to see what you find. Again good luck, Mark

Congrats you just found a use for all the lead you found - dive weights. pair it up with a rubber belt with quick release.
How cold is the water, that'll decide wet/dry and how thick. I got a really good 3mm for my 17c water off amazon for 1/3 dive shops charge. Something I've learnt with wetsuits is those fancy super flexible suits have !!!! durability, you want something hard and unyielding to deal with those rocks.

Get a cheap dive compass and a cheap water proof watch. The compass is so you can keep a straight grid and the watch is to keep an eye on how much battery you have left on the nemo. the biggest danger with the nemo you face is pushing the time on the batteries, then getting stuck out too deep for some reason. that's what the quick release rubber belt is for.
Lastly get a titanium rope cutter. I got one off amazon called the dive sword or something. No need to spend a bomb on it, it just needs to cut fishing line and rope. It's been very useful to me for cutting hooks off sinkers and the like. Don't be tempted to get the stainless ones, they will just rust and be useless

edit - oh yeah and get dive boots with a hard sole! Help with walking across rocks when you're all weighed down.

I'll be watching this one closely, been wanting to do this for a long time!

Godspeed guys!

Get a cheap dive compass and a cheap water proof watch. The compass is so you can keep a straight grid and the watch is to keep an eye on how much battery you have left on the nemo.
I have a Casio Duro and I love that thing!

Congrats you just found a use for all the lead you found - dive weights. pair it up with a rubber belt with quick release.
How cold is the water, that'll decide wet/dry and how thick. I got a really good 3mm for my 17c water off amazon for 1/3 dive shops charge. Something I've learnt with wetsuits is those fancy super flexible suits have !!!! durability, you want something hard and unyielding to deal with those rocks.

Get a cheap dive compass and a cheap water proof watch. The compass is so you can keep a straight grid and the watch is to keep an eye on how much battery you have left on the nemo. the biggest danger with the nemo you face is pushing the time on the batteries, then getting stuck out too deep for some reason. that's what the quick release rubber belt is for.
Lastly get a titanium rope cutter. I got one off amazon called the dive sword or something. No need to spend a bomb on it, it just needs to cut fishing line and rope. It's been very useful to me for cutting hooks off sinkers and the like. Don't be tempted to get the stainless ones, they will just rust and be useless

edit - oh yeah and get dive boots with a hard sole! Help with walking across rocks when you're all weighed down.

Thanks for the extensive post, this is the advice I was hoping to attain! I likely wont be diving in any water colder than 60-65° F. I have a dive belt, though I'm not positive its quick release. That's a great tip! I have plenty of lead laying around for sure. What about visibility, would I need a flashlight? I know after I fan away some sand, it's going to get really dark, and with no current to speak of, I would imagine it's going to get murky and stay murky for awhile.

murky and stay murky for awhile

That is the "Bad" here in the Chesapeake bay. I've seen divers come in thinking they were going to clean up only to find out the old beach targets are way to deep to fan.... then you add murky to the equation on top of almost zero visibility already. Not good.

I've taken a few out on the boat using a hooka and the best they could do was a few modern coins and sun glasses, and this is pin pointing the target, grabbing a hand full of sand with gloves on, checking to see if they got it by rescanning with the detector, then they would stuff it in a mesh bag only to be able to check once they surface.

We have one spot here I know there has to be a few hundred gold rings, just not safe. The shallows I would say we pulled at least 100 gold rings, but it drops off fast.. and there was a swim platform right there.. the place was famous for people drowning , reason muck. It's said there is about 3 to 4 feet of muck n mud. Swimmers would get stuck when they dove in and could not surface.

So be careful and take a friend. Good Luck!

Attachments

• OBN0302.jpg
    OBN0302.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 531
Thanks for the extensive post, this is the advice I was hoping to attain! I likely wont be diving in any water colder than 60-65° F. I have a dive belt, though I'm not positive its quick release. That's a great tip! I have plenty of lead laying around for sure. What about visibility, would I need a flashlight? I know after I fan away some sand, it's going to get really dark, and with no current to speak of, I would imagine it's going to get murky and stay murky for awhile.

A light won't help, in fact it'll make it worse. All the little bits of stuff you stir up will reflect the light and you won't see a thing.
If it's really still and murky, your best tactic is to go for a short shaft (I assume you have an excal) so the coil is in arms reach. When a target popups up rather than fanning just dig in with your hands and move the muck around into a pile until the target moves for you. Then you can zero in on it by slowly skimming the top off the pile trying not to stir things up.

This is good advice, especially when you first start out. One of the good things though about the nemo is you can wade shoulder deep with the regulator off to save battery and just snorkel. I do this all the time to extend my sessions, and I just turn on the nemo when I want to stay under.

Practise in your pool taking your mask off and on, then clearing it of water. you clear the water by looking up, holding the top of the mask and then blowing out your nose while lifting the bottom a little to open it.
The other thing to get good at if you're snorkeling is switching from the nemo to the snorkel and back underwater. don't forget to purge the regulator before breathing in. I remmeber the direction on the regulators switch as "turn it away from me when I don't want air, towards me if I do want air"

That is the "Bad" here in the Chesapeake bay. I've seen divers come in thinking they were going to clean up only to find out the old beach targets are way to deep to fan.... then you add murky to the equation on top of almost zero visibility already. Not good.

I've taken a few out on the boat using a hooka and the best they could do was a few modern coins and sun glasses, and this is pin pointing the target, grabbing a hand full of sand with gloves on, checking to see if they got it by rescanning with the detector, then they would stuff it in a mesh bag only to be able to check once they surface.

We have one spot here I know there has to be a few hundred gold rings, just not safe. The shallows I would say we pulled at least 100 gold rings, but it drops off fast.. and there was a swim platform right there.. the place was famous for people drowning , reason muck. It's said there is about 3 to 4 feet of muck n mud. Swimmers would get stuck when they dove in and could not surface.

A light won't help, in fact it'll make it worse. All the little bits of stuff you stir up will reflect the light and you won't see a thing.
If it's really still and murky, your best tactic is to go for a short shaft (I assume you have an excal) so the coil is in arms reach. When a target popups up rather than fanning just dig in with your hands and move the muck around into a pile until the target moves for you. Then you can zero in on it by slowly skimming the top off the pile trying not to stir things up.

This is good advice, especially when you first start out. One of the good things though about the nemo is you can wade shoulder deep with the regulator off to save battery and just snorkel. I do this all the time to extend my sessions, and I just turn on the nemo when I want to stay under.

Practise in your pool taking your mask off and on, then clearing it of water. you clear the water by looking up, holding the top of the mask and then blowing out your nose while lifting the bottom a little to open it.
The other thing to get good at if you're snorkeling is switching from the nemo to the snorkel and back underwater. don't forget to purge the regulator before breathing in. I remmeber the direction on the regulators switch as "turn it away from me when I don't want air, towards me if I do want air"

Some really good stuff guys. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your advice and stories. I'm excited to get my feet wet (pun intended) and I'm trying to soak up as much information in the meantime. I have 3-4 months until I open the pool, so hopefully I'll feel more confident when that time comes. Happy hunting :cool3:

Have you thought about hooking up a fat dredge hose? If you know exactly where the bottom of those slides are you can sit on the surface and just push the hose around. A few 100 rings for a couple of weeks and some great stories to tell afterwards.

Some really good stuff guys. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your advice and stories. I'm excited to get my feet wet (pun intended) and I'm trying to soak up as much information in the meantime. I have 3-4 months until I open the pool, so hopefully I'll feel more confident when that time comes. Happy hunting :cool3:

the nemo can't run out of the water. The compressor is water cooled and will be fried after a few minutes running it out of the water.

Have you thought about hooking up a fat dredge hose? If you know exactly where the bottom of those slides are you can sit on the surface and just push the hose around. A few 100 rings for a couple of weeks and some great stories to tell afterwards.

That would be a great story!! It is something I have talked about with a friend.... Unfortunately, dredging here will get you locked up quick. :crying::( to many ears and eyes around even to break out a metal detector sometimes, which is legal (most spots) if you stay in the water.

Hookah type systems really seem great but as far as knowledge you really should take a diving class, not for the cert but for the knowledge.
Stay safe!

I use a cheap hunters compass, the ball pin on type about $1.99. I made a big rubber band out of an inner tube that wraps around the whole body of the excal and that's what I pin it to. This way your compass is right in front of you the whole time, I can't stand pulling out my regular dive compass and having to hold it level to get a reading. HUGE WASTE OF TIME. I've taken it down to thirty feet for long periods with no problems. I lost one once but about an hour later I found it drifting along about a foot off of the bottom again. Good luck and be careful.

Do you think you could blow an area out with a mailbox?

Practice, practice, practice

If you do not take a scuba course, at least take one on-line. You need all the info on water pressures and how they affect your body. You need to practice in your pool for dumping your weights, clearing your mask and replacing your mouth piece under water. You panic in just 6 ft of water and its all over.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

I’ve had a great time SCUBA diving over the years; actually its been several decades now. It’s been a great adventure and love finding what’s under the water. I’ve recently been doing some SNUBA with a friend which is a tad different but fun. Each one has its advantages and disadvantages. A SNUBA set up does not require all the equipment that SCUBA requires. Basically the 2nd stage regulator, weight belt, mask, booties and fins and you’re off.

But, to be honest, both can be extremely dangerous if you haven’t been properly trained or haven’t practiced. Even with shallow water SNUBA diving, inadvertently holding your breath while ascending to the surface can cause a deadly air embolism. Any diving requires some training and also being mentally prepared for emergencies. A number of unexpected events can occur under the water that can cause panic. When this happens, naturally most people revert to training. A panic mistake could be as simple as running out of air or having your regulator snatched out of your mouth by an obstacle or a branch. When something bad happens, if you are not trained, you may go into a panic mode. The only thing you’ll think about is getting to the surface to breath. Pretty hard to do when you forget to remove your weight belt or forget to dump your BC.

Cellrdweller, I like the fact that you’ll spend some time in the pool learning this new equipment and that you’ll be diving very shallow water. Get yourself comfortable with this new rig and also practice shedding you weight belt. Also, there’s no such thing as holding your breath using hose-fed or compressed air. You always have to mentally prepare for emergencies on the bottom. Fighting panic and dumping your weight should be a top priority for getting to the top during bad times. Also, never dive alone, keep a quality cutting tool with you and even wear a line buoy so people know your location.

Personally, I don’t skimp on any of my dive equipment. When I hose dive, I wear a nice Aqua-Lung mask, booties and short-fins. I have several weights belt options depending if I’m suited up or not. I never go in without a quality knife and sometimes pliers. Irony, but my weight belts were built from fishing sinkers. Lastly, I always wear quality gloves to protect your hands. I’ve grabbed too many broken bottle necks with the aluminum tops still attached. Ain’t no sense ruining a good trip from a cut hand and leaving me all those rings behind.

Last edited:
Greetings All!

Merry Christmas Everyone!

I’ve had a great time SCUBA diving over the years; actually its been several decades now. It’s been a great adventure and love finding what’s under the water. I’ve recently been doing some SNUBA with a friend which is a tad different but fun. Each one has its advantages and disadvantages. A SNUBA set up does not require all the equipment that SCUBA requires. Basically the 2nd stage regulator, weight belt, mask, booties and fins and you’re off.

But, to be honest, both can be extremely dangerous if you haven’t been properly trained or haven’t practiced. Even with shallow water SNUBA diving, inadvertently holding your breath while ascending to the surface can cause a deadly air embolism. Any diving requires some training and also being mentally prepared for emergencies. A number of unexpected events can occur under the water that can cause panic. When this happens, naturally most people revert to training. A panic mistake could be as simple as running out of air or having your regulator snatched out of your mouth by an obstacle or a branch. When something bad happens, if you are not trained, you may go into a panic mode. The only thing you’ll think about is getting to the surface to breath. Pretty hard to do when you forget to remove your weight belt or forget to dump your BC.

Cellrdweller, I like the fact that you’ll spend some time in the pool learning this new equipment and that you’ll be diving very shallow water. Get yourself comfortable with this new rig and also practice shedding you weight belt. Leave a long tongue on your belt to its easy to locate and snatch open. Also, there’s no such thing as holding your breath using hose-fed or compressed air. You always have to mentally prepare for emergencies on the bottom. Fighting panic and dumping your weight should be a top priority for getting to the top during bad times. Also, never dive alone, keep a quality cutting tool with you and even wear a line buoy so people know your location.

Personally, I don’t skimp on any of my dive equipment. When I hose dive, I wear a nice Aqua-Lung mask, booties and short-fins. I have several weights belt options depending if I’m suited up or not. I never go in without a quality knife and sometimes pliers. Irony, but my weight belts were built from fishing sinkers. Lastly, I always wear quality gloves to protect your hands. I’ve grabbed too many broken bottle necks with the aluminum tops still attached. Ain’t no sense ruining a good trip from a cut hand and leaving me all those rings to find.

Back
Top Bottom