Anybody have any experience with CKG scoops ?

Almann

It's just about time to shift my hunting tactics here in the desert . It's too hot to continue hunting on dry land here but I've got some other options . San Diego beaches are a 6 hour ride for me so that's an option . I also have a few rivers , lakes & creeks within reasonable range .
To the point : The fresh water options I have here range from sandy beaches to pretty rough , rock infested shores . I'm in the market for a sand scoop . Since it's not my main form of metal detecting I would like one all purpose heavy duty sand scoop . I think we're probably talking about a scoop that will be used 15-20 times a year .
Having said that , will this CKG scoop and handle combo cut the mustard ? I'm prepared to grab a Stavr scoop but if this CKG is of decent quality , I'll be happy to spend half the $ that the Stavr would cost .
Anybody have experience with these CKG scoops ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210523-184243_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210523-184243_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 594
Most likely

China made junk at that price , and if you bought it from Amazon id bet on it , shame a bit more you could have got at least a Stavr scoop !

China made junk at that price , and if you bought it from Amazon id bet on it , shame a bit more you could have got at least a Stavr scoop !

I haven't purchased a scoop yet Surf Master .
I'm leaning towards the Stavr but figured I would see if anyone had thoughts about the CKG before pulling the trigger . I'm land locked here in Arizona . The scoop will not get a lot of use but having said that , I'd rather spend $300.00 on a Stavr & handle than $150.00 on a scoop that breaks the fifth time out . Just thought I'd ask if anyone had a positive experience with the CKGs .
Thanks for weighing in !

I haven't purchased a scoop yet Surf Master .
I'm leaning towards the Stavr but figured I would see if anyone had thoughts about the CKG before pulling the trigger . I'm land locked here in Arizona . The scoop will not get a lot of use but having said that , I'd rather spend $300.00 on a Stavr & handle than $150.00 on a scoop that breaks the fifth time out . Just thought I'd ask if anyone had a positive experience with the CKGs .
Thanks for weighing in !

My handle is wood from home Depot. It was less than $20.00 so it was nowhere near $300.

Medal addict

I think you got mixed up some were , I don't use garbage handle's , it s CF , or Ash treated , had a 200 .00 Stavr M- 9, sold it , 4 Chuck made Stealth & 1 Extreme now , 2 dry sand RTG , to be honest I havn't priced a Stavr scoop in years .

Wow, a double knock-off. If you have a place to weld repairs on the scoop I might consider it... Once it breaks, and it will, you will be high and dry trying to fix it.
Just from looking at the photo I can tell the Cf shaft isn't "right". That will go after a few outings too.

Think about the cost of getting a scoop that is of unknown quality, driving six hours and having it fail? All it takes is one good target and the scoop is paid for.

My Stavr was around $150 shipped plus around 10 bucks for a hardwood handle. I have never felt the need to go with a cf shaft for my scoop, wood has held up just fine...

Almann, I know what you feel. I also went cheap, and it broke on me. And it was made from the EXACT same place and brand. Maybe you could look into a good used one, I did and I know that it's never going to break. If you want to save some bucks, just get a fiberglass handle, not CF, it has worked for me. Hope this helps :D

Josh

Almann, I know what you feel. I also went cheap, and it broke on me. And it was made from the EXACT same place and brand. Maybe you could look into a good used one, I did and I know that it's never going to break. If you want to save some bucks, just get a fiberglass handle, not CF, it has worked for me. Hope this helps :D

Josh

You never posted your cheap scoop... can we see the damage?

Thanks for everybody's input , it's greatly appreciated and has somewhat clarified my course of action .
I think I'm going to go with the Ash handle rather than the carbon fiber . That should `allow me to move up to a Sunspot 720i or maybe an Extreme Scoop .
Thanks again

Here's what THE KOB knows : 1st , I do not own one. There are 2 guys here that have YouTube videos that do. In 1 of them , he has it buried in the wet hardpack and that 2 piece CF shows a tremendous bend / flex at the joint. In the dry , they look like they hold up fairly well. Bucket seems well built. One guy here on offer up has one for $130 , a few weeks with no takers. Price seems great for a SS with CF shaft. I can't see them lasting long under heavy use though. Especially in a hard , rocky , desert lake environment. Time will tell.

I’ve owned the Sunspot 720i (made by Chuck) with CF handle for years with zero problems.
Also own the Extreme Scoop with two part CF handle with zero problems. I don’t see the two part CF handle ever bending as it’s tough as ferrous.

I see this is an old post but have been searching fer one. I know the TREX is pricey but man what welds on that thing. Went with another one ~60's with good looking welds and secure in the back where you are applying all the force in wet sand. Will post when it gets here with results.

I see this is an old post but have been searching fer one. I know the TREX is pricey but man what welds on that thing. Went with another one ~60's with good looking welds and secure in the back where you are applying all the force in wet sand. Will post when it gets here with results.

You mean the T-Rex scoop? A member here a couple years ago posted how the welds on his scoop failed whole top ripped up...

..........I'm land locked here in Arizona...........

I'd also like to hear any suggestions on scoops/handles for people who might only beach hunt on vacation once a year or so. I've never bothered bringing a detector, but we go to Destin and Hilton Head. I think this year we'll go to St. Petersburg.

Back
Top Bottom