PI Ready

Florida Tabdigger

Elite Member
I pulled my Whites PI from the closet...and to my horror...there where batteries still in it. I frantically opened it up and checked...whew...no batteries had leaked. Off they go...into the garbage. Put a fresh set in and everything is working fine. Now to find some time for beach hunting. It's been waaaaay too long since I've been. Time to get back. Never leave batteries in your detector. I know that..and yet I failed. So happy I checked before it was too late. Note to everyone...TAKE OUT YOUR BATTERIES BEFORE STORING!!!

Amen to that! I've not seen many since the excalibur has separate pod, but I know it can happen to many others.

I pulled my Whites PI from the closet...and to my horror...there where batteries still in it. I frantically opened it up and checked...whew...no batteries had leaked. Off they go...into the garbage. Put a fresh set in and everything is working fine. Now to find some time for beach hunting. It's been waaaaay too long since I've been. Time to get back. Never leave batteries in your detector. I know that..and yet I failed. So happy I checked before it was too late. Note to everyone...TAKE OUT YOUR BATTERIES BEFORE STORING!!!

Which model? I never leave my batteries in my detectors...

It's the PI...not the Pro. I had intended to send it to Bill for the mod...in fact he contacted me about sending it...but I never did. :(
I always...well almost, take my batteries out of anything I don't use regularly, but it happened, and thankfully I caught it before it was too late.

I have the diver weighted coil, but it's the basic surfmaster version.

The purple unit? If so my hunting buddy has that one and he does very will with his... neutral buoyancy coils are the best... that is the one of the things that bugged me about the DF..

I was in a similar situation last month except the batteries in my Dual Field were wet after sitting for a few months, I usually remove the battery holder after detecting but slipped up this time. Luckily I was able to clean the little bit of acid in the battery compartment but my battery lead fell apart, I found a replacement battery lead online and ordered a few extras since I also own a couple of PI Pros and they have the same lead. Here is a link to order replacement battery leads - https://www.digikey.com/en/products...v56osavVsnWI8F_beljCPSYENNHsEGRZIWxyalkfJLHau

Not really the same but I hated the placement of the batteries in my CZ-21. Stupid design that led to more troubles than I should've had. Probably reason #1 I got rid of it. The Excal is FAR SUPERIOR on this alone! (Not to mention that it hits much better on gold in any size :yes:).

Pretty sure I removed them this fall, thanks for the heads up though, I'll double check.
FWIW the costco duracells are the worst for leaking, imo.

I was in a similar situation last month except the batteries in my Dual Field were wet after sitting for a few months, I usually remove the battery holder after detecting but slipped up this time. Luckily I was able to clean the little bit of acid in the battery compartment but my battery lead fell apart, I found a replacement battery lead online and ordered a few extras since I also own a couple of PI Pros and they have the same lead. Here is a link to order replacement battery leads - https://www.digikey.com/en/products...v56osavVsnWI8F_beljCPSYENNHsEGRZIWxyalkfJLHau

Thanks Kenne, I'll get a couple to have on hand when needed.

Yes, it's the purple one. Had it a little over 20 years.

That is a great PI... my friend Robert has found over 700 gold rings with it... I helped him repair the ears on his coil when he snapped them... we used to hunt together a lot but he retired and moved where living was not so expensive like it is down here...

Back
Top Bottom