This Summer's bottle cast-offs

GLASSHOPPER1955

Elite Member
These are my 2021 digging season's bottles that I brought home that I didn't keep. I donated 'em to a favorite local church resale store. I did try to sell some at the local flea market (hence the price tags). Maybe next year I'll get into more of the TOC and older stuff.

The toy ambulance is a 1939 Marx toy that was about 2 feet down. The big 10" double pulley I salvaged from an old LaBour water pump found in the woods.

Attachments

• a DSCN4949.jpg
    a DSCN4949.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 295
  • b DSCN4946.jpg
    b DSCN4946.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 295
  • c DSCN4944.jpg
    c DSCN4944.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 295
  • d DSCN4945.jpg
    d DSCN4945.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 299
  • e DSCN4948.jpg
    e DSCN4948.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 295
Part of the game ; the better stuff you dig The pickier you get .

Part of the game ; the better stuff you dig The pickier you get .

Very true!
My main interest is finding the local bottles of my area, and the deco-sodas and the 'antiques' that pique my interest. Then there's the ones that I see as just plain cool. Can't really describe them, but I know them when I see them. :D

Besides, there's the Space Factor. Never enough room. But when I dig I just can't leave 'em and...they follow me home. :lol:

But when I dig I just can't leave 'em and...they follow me home. :lol:

I hear that! I would have likely brought all of those home too. Kind of surprised I see only one zinc jar lid. I usually pry out the glass insert and toss it in the bag. Lots of those.
Donating them is good. I hope the church makes some money and lots of people get to see them and maybe take some home.

EDIT: Make that 2 zinc jar lids. I just spotted the one on the jar(upper right).

One of these days I gotta post some of my stuff ( better stuff) I’ve dug through the years . I don’t dig anymore because I am old enough to have dug when you could dig pontil
age stuff in small one house dumps etc. Those days are long gone ; at least in my neck of the woods. The best way to dig good old stuff now is by privy digging ; but that is way to much work for me . Once deer hunting is over and winter doldrums set in I will post some pictures.

I hear that! I would have likely brought all of those home too. Kind of surprised I see only one zinc jar lid. I usually pry out the glass insert and toss it in the bag. Lots of those.
Donating them is good. I hope the church makes some money and lots of people get to see them and maybe take some home.

Believe me, there were a bunch of lids but I generally throw 'em back unless I need one at the time or see a really nice conditioned one. The glass bail lids I keep.

I'd love to do more bottle digging but I never seem to find any spots for it, the little I've done was very fun.

We've posted tips on here in past posts on how to find bottles. Finding the old stuff isn't getting any easier, with all the building going on nowdays. Research and lots of searching helps.

One of these days I gotta post some of my stuff ( better stuff) I’ve dug through the years . I don’t dig anymore because I am old enough to have dug when you could dig pontil
age stuff in small one house dumps etc. Those days are long gone ; at least in my neck of the woods. The best way to dig good old stuff now is by privy digging ; but that is way to much work for me . Once deer hunting is over and winter doldrums set in I will post some pictures.

Lol! Yeah I loved digging the "yard dumps" because those are so easy and not deep usually. That is how I started when I was 14. Privies, on the other hand, are much harder and often backbreaking work, requiring helpers. I envy those diggers out east that do that. I generally just look along creeks, in woods looking for the shallow dumps anymore. It's the age thing. :lol: Yes, DO post some of your finds, we'd love to see 'em!

Very, very narrow market for bottles and insulators. I couldn’t sell a single common Bitters at our large neighborhood garage sale, $1 ea! 100 y.o. colored insulators free, no takers. Side note, two sweet rotary dial 1940’s Western Electric telephones, working, $10 for pair no takers. Full size 1990’s mint fiberglass/metal stand telephone booth, $10, nope!

As the older generation passes, gonna be a lot of cheap antiques, AND muscle cars.

Very, very narrow market for bottles and insulators. I couldn’t sell a single common Bitters at our large neighborhood garage sale, $1 ea! 100 y.o. colored insulators free, no takers. Side note, two sweet rotary dial 1940’s Western Electric telephones, working, $10 for pair no takers. Full size 1990’s mint fiberglass/metal stand telephone booth, $10, nope!

As the older generation passes, gonna be a lot of cheap antiques, AND muscle cars.

Yeah I agree, the days are probably numbered. Old bottles still do well down South and Southeast, as you can tell by looking at the bottle digging videos on YT. Maybe we should start hoarding "antique" and vintage cellphones for when the current young crowd gets into their "nostalgia" boom. :lol:

Many hobbies are having the same problem, no new blood coming in. :(

Back
Top Bottom