Coating excal coil with epoxy...

jtb2017

Elite Member
One coat or two? I just got finished with 1 coat. I have the 8 inch coil. I am tempted to put 1 more on.

WOT I am gonna say will need 2 coats at least. Anyone ever coat the 8 inch coil? Thanks. -Joe

One coat or two? I just got finished with 1 coat. I have the 8 inch coil. I am tempted to put 1 more on.

WOT I am gonna say will need 2 coats at least. Anyone ever coat the 8 inch coil? Thanks. -Joe

Cool Joe. Was looking to do the same with the DFPI coil. Can you put up some pics....

pics...

Here are a few ... still drying. I went to put a second coat on it and the epoxy tube was junk. lol. So its one for now, but ill probably return that tube for a new one and put a second coat on before i use it. hh an gl -joe

Cool Joe. Was looking to do the same with the DFPI coil. Can you put up some pics....

Attachments

• 20140427_172429.jpg
    20140427_172429.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 527
  • 20140427_172436.jpg
    20140427_172436.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 538
Here are a few ... still drying. I went to put a second coat on it and the epoxy tube was junk. lol. So its one for now, but ill probably return that tube for a new one and put a second coat on before i use it. hh an gl -joe

Looks good, to avoid those drips on the side use masking tape next time. I've had dud Epoxy tubes before too, usually the hardener "grey side" gets dried out. Make sure the package is sealed when you buy it at the store..

I personally think 1 coat is fine, anymore and I think your just adding weight to the coil.

HH! :grin:

Yeah I wonder why too. A new skid plate would surely be a better option wouldn't it?

Just curious.

MK

It beats having to clean out the sand from your coil cover every time after and sometimes during a hunt and adds a strong protective layer to the bottom of your coil. If your warranty is up and your not worried about reselling your coil, Its a good way to go..

I had coated my DF but I didn't like the way it came out so I went back to the coil cover... epoxy is all fine and dandy for the bottom but what about the sides? Fsa46 uses two coats I believe or used to before epoxying plexi-glass to the bottoms.

I epoxy my coils with marine epoxy.
You have plenty of epoxy on that coil. Next time use some blue painters tape and tape halfway up the thickness of the coil. Epoxy halfway up the side of the coil because the coil will show wear along the edge. This protects the coil from abrasion on the edge line. Make sure the coil is as level as possible in the drying stage. The coating does not impede the coil's effectiveness. Good luck!

Its messy for sure. I was thinking of some type of blue tape.

As for those asking why. The coil covers get stuck very easily. And require constant cleaning. This eliminates that.

Thanks for replys. hh an gl -Joe

I epoxy my coils with marine epoxy.
You have plenty of epoxy on that coil. Next time use some blue painters tape and tape halfway up the thickness of the coil. Epoxy halfway up the side of the coil because the coil will show wear along the edge. This protects the coil from abrasion on the edge line. Make sure the coil is as level as possible in the drying stage. The coating does not impede the coil's effectiveness. Good luck!

Epoxy wont void the warranty.... but bed liner spray will. Its hard stuff... putting more on just means two coats instead of one chips off. Save your money and re-do in the areas needed as they wear.

Dew

Epoxy wont void the warranty.... but bed liner spray will. Its hard stuff... putting more on just means two coats instead of one chips off. Save your money and re-do in the areas needed as they wear.

Dew

Epoxy won't void the warranty?
really?

I've been waiting for my warranty to run out before put epoxy on.

How did you find this out?
I'm intrigued!

Dew

Dew is 100% correct, IF YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT MINELAB MACHINES. I don't know about other machines.

Epoxy won't void the warranty?
really?

I've been waiting for my warranty to run out before put epoxy on.

How did you find this out?
I'm intrigued!

I sent Minelab an email and got a reply stating exactly what Dew said. Epoxy is OK but bedliner is not and will void it warranty.

This subject always comes up and some like it and some do not. If you're an occasional hunter and not a scrubber maybe you don't need it.

I use a couple methods. I have epoxied my coil on one of my DFs and the other epoxied a piece of plexi glass to the cover and then epoxied the cover to the coil. It added weight on land but not in the water, and helps keep the coil down.

It important to really take care to prep the coil using a coarse sandpaper to scuff the cover and coil. This is the MAIN reason for the epoxy chipping. I haven't had any chip in 3 years and I hunt 4-5 days a week , sometime more.

I noticed you only did the bottom. It's important to also do the sides. It's the very edge that gets the wear the most and has to be replied in those areas on occasion.

I have a older Minelab Excalibur coil I need to epoxy and came across this thread. I have always used coil covers. But like was stated that black sand gets in the cover and you need to clean them out often.
Which Marine epoxy do you recommend ?

You have PLENTY of epoxy. Just do small touch-ups when black appears. It is the only way to hunt the water!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom