What was your first hunt like and which detector were you using?

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
For me many years ago it was looking for gold nuggets with a Fisher Gold Bug.
This detector had no digital read out and guess what didn't need a numeric display.

an experienced local gold prospector told me to look for white corroded bird shot and buck shot in a stream and that is likely spot for gold in a stream since the specific gravities of lead and gold are close, meaning they are heavy.

That is what we used the gold bug for, to find areas were flour gold will drop because that is mostly what you find in north Georgia these days, because all the gold mines got the big nuggets in the steams. We would hand dig out these areas and run the gravel through our sluice. Almost always found gold every weekend. Not a lot, but enough to keep us digging for 2 years.

I also found a very good example of an 1800's hand forged miner's pick about 3 inches deep. It sounded off like I found a buried volkswagen. These were good days on my introduction to using a metal detector. The gold bug was simple and easy to use.

First 3 weeks of beach hunting I used a PI PRO for those 3 weeks I dug up sneaker eyelets, pulltabs, bobbie pins, paper clips, tent spikes, an occasion junk ring and a few coins... at the end of the 3 weeks I was ready to throw the detector in the water and go back to dirt hunting....

After 3 weeks getting pissed off I found a gold ring then the next day 3 more gold rings and I was hooked... the rest is history..

I started with a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV in the Philippines , read the instructions on the plane on the way over. As soon as i set it up and got to the local beach i found a few local coins , i was hooked but really had no idea what i was doing. Long before i found this forum .

January 2008 with a just purchased Ace 250 and my first find was a quarter on a nearby sledding slope. I said to myself Holy !!!! this thing really works.. True story..

My first hunt was in 1973. My Dad got me a Jetco TreasureHawk BFO detector through of all places the UAL employee catalog (after a couple years driving my parents crazy for one). I detected my grandparents yard and the first coin I ever found was a 1947 nickel.
Thanks for the topic. Bill

My 1st hunt was 1970 with a whites machine. Hunted maybe 15 times , found clad , silver on the beach. My dreams as a Mini-KOB were of pirate treasure. I was only good for candy money. Not great , heavy machine. I did better with my eyes , got bored and gave up. Wasn't till 1978 where I took a more serious approach and immediately found a gold mother's ring , with the same detector. I was hooked.

Some years back I saw a Bounty Hunter silver whatever it was... at a store that tried to sell returned merchandise. Only paid $30 for it.
So off I go to find treasure. The first hunt of my yard netted me 27 cents. Two dimes,seven pennies and some junk. I was hooked! So off to the parks I go found more clad and a whole bunch of junk. I like history so off I go to the library to research all the old places around where I live so I can find old junk. Now I hunt anywhere I can when time permits.
Still hooked.

My first relic hunt wasn't very productive. Started out with a borrowed detector...a double eagle. But it got me interested enough to get a better detector, a Nautilus. Then got the newer Nautilus, after THAT one, got the newer one. LOTS of relics we're found by all of them! I hunt with the Deus now and hope it to be as productive!

followed a Jr. High school chum around, as he hunted school yards with his Compass 77b, in about 1975 or '76. Was immediately fascinated at the concept. So I went out and found a used Whites 66TR for $100 . Took it out to my front yard, and found a memorial penny ! Wooohooo. :cool3:

9 years ago I got an ACE 350 package from Kellyco for Christmas. I hunted a few times finding some clad and misc stuff. My next door neighbor runs into me on a Sunday morning and out of the blue she tells me a new school is being built to replace the one she was currently teaching at. So I decided to go hit the school that afternoon for a bit. Found a lot of clad but I was scheduled to go to dinner with the wife and I had to get back home. Walking to the truck I decided to hurry up and give this one area a pass over before I made it to the truck. I did and did it ever pay off. I found a 1970 World Cup of Soccer gold ring, team Mexico. It's huge like a class ring. To date its the biggest gold ring I've ever found. I've never looked back. The addiction had taken hold.

Man, 40+ years ago trying to remember my first hunt.

I know I had a Relco, if I remember right, I got it from a garage sale. I don't remember finding anything but tin cans for many hunts, but I was determined to find something valuable. I think I eyeballed more good stuff that I found with my detector and that kept me going until technology got better.

Built my own in the early 1970's from an Electronics Magazine, would not find a metal garbage bin from the inside!

Number 2 was a "Magpie' which was tuned by sliding the shaft in and out to get the threshold.

Number 3 was a BFO (Beat-frequency oscillator) with just 2 switches. Signalled all metals regardless of size and material.

Then the IB/VLF (Induction Balance/ Very Low Frequency.) started to come on the scene which meant that we had some control over settings.

Number 4 was a 'crook handled' C-Scope a British company, and still going and if I remember had around 8 dials and switches.

Not sure after that because technology was changing fast with machines coming in from the US, Garrett, Compass, Fisher and the like.

Got my first detector in the mid 80s. It was one of those Radio Shack brand detectors (Realistic I think?). Anyway, the first hunt was in my own back yard. I found a few nails, pulltabs and bottlecaps. Tossed the POS in the closet and gave up on metal detecting. It wasn't until about 2 years later that I got a better machine and actually learned how to use it.

I bought a Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 at a Dick's Sporting goods. First detected around the condos I lived at here in CT. Found a religious pendent and a little clad so I tossed the tector in the car and buzzed off to Black Rock State Park. I hunted trails only being very shy and fearing the "rules on digging or defacing" or whatever rule. I only knew Black Rock Park was where I've seen many people detecting in the main field as seen from the road. I went directly to the hiking trail to not be seen and in a couple minutes dug a very nice shiny silver, a 1964 Kennedy half!!! Now the prob was I thought It was so easy finding silver> HA HA HA HA.. :laughing: that was around 2014 and I'm on my second good mid grade tector. easy----ha ha ha ha ha.

I started around 2012 when I got a bounty hunter IV for Christmas. Took me a few years to get serious about it. Mostly due to lack of experience and finding good spots. Once I started finding OLD coins, I was hooked.

About 1972, I was ten, Jetco Mustang. Never really found anything, ended up using it as a golf club to hit rocks.

1976, new Whites Coinmaster II, I was 14, it was too much machine for me with the discrimination setup, 3 inches of depth and it ate batteries like nothing (iirc it had two separate packs of 12 or 14 AA batts total).

2008, Whites DFX. First hunt, a few wheats and a mercury dime dug behind the elementary school I last attended in 1972.

I guess my very first hunt, would be when I was about 5 or 6 years old and got a walmart toy metal detector for my birthday. I have no memory of what I found, if anything, but I used that thing until it literally fell apart. Around 10 years later I got an Ace 150 for Christmas which worked (at least marginally) better than the walmart nugget. I went out into the yard like a day after (still with like 8 inches of snow on the ground mind you) and tried to test it out but couldn't actually dig anything up. Fast forward a few months and I excitedly... eventually... found a 1917 wheat penny.

Fall 1995.
Realistic from Radio Shack that used two 9 volt batteries.
Found nothing of real value until I got a better detector.

I seriously can't remember. The detector was blue and there was a meter in the handle. Maybe someone will remember???

Back
Top Bottom