• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Shovel Shopping

Will go with one of these soon as well. Most likely the Phoenix based on this review https://youtu.be/ert_0ph8zDs

The Lesche brand is often times inferior from what I've been reading and that's pretty sad being that the Lesche family set the company up and it was lost in a divorce (?). Not to stir up !!!!, just laying out details because they're not super clear on the surface.

From reaching out to Predator Tools and George Lesche directly, Predator only sells on the Predator Tools website.

Oh, furthermore on the root slayer and root assassin type shovels - I have the latter and it'll need some reinforcement to be durable. The root slayer looks a bit better/stronger with it's curve and form, however that's purely opinion based on looks - no idea of gauge or metallurgy on either.

Also, not sure what was filtered in my post above. It wasn't profane.

Happy Hunting

The Lesche brand is often times inferior from what I've been reading and that's pretty sad...

I've seen on here a few times of guys breaking their Lesche, but I take reviews with a grain of salt because people are....well people and who knows what they were doing with it. I will say my buddy has one that's about 1 weld away from being an exact copy of my Predator.

Me personally, I use the Little Eagle. I love it because I often hike far to my hunting grounds and I can slap it on my day pack.

Predator piranha. I’ve had it for about 3 years. Absolutely love it. It cuts a clean plug and goes through roots easily. Absolutely recommend it.

Model 55 - Barracuda - Shovel is nice as all get out! Thank you for the advice/referral!

+1 on the Barracuda! The blade is a little longer and wider than the Sampson, yet not huge like the Ranger. It’s perfection IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Model 55 - Barracuda - Shovel is nice as all get out! Thank you for the advice/referral!

+1 on the Barracuda! The blade is a little longer and wider than the Sampson, yet not huge like the Ranger. It’s perfection IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+2 excellent shovels, I also mainly use the barracuda. It has a gusset already welded on the back, which seems to be the lesche weak point. Never seen a broken predator shovel that I can recall...good luck out there!

I went with the White’s Ground Hawg and absolutely love it. It’s very stout, cuts perfect size plugs.

Will go with one of these soon as well. Most likely the Phoenix based on this review https://youtu.be/ert_0ph8zDs

I had a Predator Barracuda which I lost last year, long story, but I agree with the youtuber that the scoop design of the Phoenix or T handled Hurricane (which I now have) is a plus for digging plugs. I first bought a Ladybug with that curved dish blade for my wife to use gardening. She didn't like it but I thought it was awesome at moving dirt for its size. I used it yesterday to put in some plants. I tried the Ladybug in the woods but I missed the root cutting ability of the serrated models but it is super for gardening.

Anyway, I ponied up the cash for the Hurricane and I'm really happy with it, The curved dish shaped blade does seem more efficient for popping out plugs than the folded V style blade. I was happy with the V blade Barracuda while I had it but the curved blade model does seem to be an enhancement. The youtube comparison got it right!

Here's a pic of red Ladybug and Hurricane showing the scoop shape of the blades. Scoop giant clods with a flick of the wrist, thanks to the dished and curved design...love these tools.

Attachments

• IMG_0669.JPG
    IMG_0669.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 1,026
Last edited:
I've seen on here a few times of guys breaking their Lesche, but I take reviews with a grain of salt because people are....well people and who knows what they were doing with it.

I saw a guy break his shove. He had it in hard ground and was pulling on it with all his might. I had just asked his friend how he did that without breaking it. SNAP!

I had a Predator Barracuda which I lost last year, long story, but I agree with the youtuber that the scoop design of the Phoenix or T handled Hurricane (which I now have) is a plus for digging plugs. I first bought a Ladybug with that curved dish blade for my wife to use gardening. She didn't like it but I thought it was awesome at moving dirt for its size. I used it yesterday to put in some plants. I tried the Ladybug in the woods but I missed the root cutting ability of the serrated models but it is super for gardening.

Anyway, I ponied up the cash for the Hurricane and I'm really happy with it, The curved dish shaped blade does seem more efficient for popping out plugs than the folded V style blade. I was happy with the V blade Barracuda while I had it but the curved blade model does seem to be an enhancement. The youtube comparison got it right!

Here's a pic of red Ladybug and Hurricane showing the scoop shape of the blades. Scoop giant clods with a flick of the wrist, thanks to the dished and curved design...love these tools.

Will check them out online
Thank you

+2 excellent shovels, I also mainly use the barracuda. It has a gusset already welded on the back, which seems to be the lesche weak point. Never seen a broken predator shovel that I can recall...good luck out there!

I'm leaning towards the barracuda

I like the flat grey color of the Sampsons, less of a red flag. I also wouldn't carry and use a shovel longer that 31 inches in public. Longer shovels don't belt carry well. I don't relic hunt though. The Whites would be nice for farms and woods.

Sorry if I missed reading that this was a relic shovel question.

Back
Top Bottom