What was your first hunt like and which detector were you using?

I've only been detecting a couple years now. First detector was an AT Pro. First hunt was my back yard, found an amazing amount of clad like someone had thrown handfulls into the grass at some point. Hooked!

older friend introed me to the hobby. said here, swing this like this and if it beeps you found something. 3 steps in a gravel parking lot with a Micronta lunchbox unit. went beep- he said see you found something. 14 kt gold mens wedding band. he was still rigging up his state of the art Whites. He was speechless. but with a young family it was years later before a first viable machine. this was back in the 80's. i traded the band and mine in on a thicker band to wear. my second hand one was soldered and thin. so happy find.

I'll never forget the date. July 6, 2019. My dad had an old White's 6000/Di Pro SL and I decided to give detecting a try. I went to a local park and got a signal I thought sounded good. I dug down and out popped a 1936-S Mercury Dime. I was over the moon and have been hooked since.

Got an old Bounty Hunter BFO for Christmas in 1973. Went out to a local park and found a couple quarters and a few pennies. Had a blast doing it!

Bounty Hunter 2200. I just remember how hesitant I was to take it out to a public park and start digging! Eventually worked up the courage and hit a school yard/park and had a blast pulling coins and knick knacks.

I started detecting in 1983 with a Garrett American series 2 detector. It was one of the old TR type detectors and had very little depth capability. I don't remember the first thing I ever dug with it but I do know that whatever it was, it was junk. I never did find much with that detector and was wondering if I should take up a different hobby. A coin dealer I was doing business with, also sold metal detectors and he turned me on to a White's 6000di. I started using that detector and just about immediately started finding coins and in a short time my first silver coin, a Mercury Dime. The Mercury Dime find got me hooked and the rest is history.......

I don’t know the detectors name but it was cheep. My best guess it was about as good as one of those radio shack detectors. My aunt had given it to me but I never really used it. Until my friend that new I had it call me and ask if I could help find some live rounds he lost in his yard. After a few minutes we had the safely in our hands. When I got home I tried it in my front yard. With just a couple of swings I found some clad coins and I haven’t stoped swing since.

like 925Bill, I ordered a Jetco Treasure Hawk for ~$100 when I got out of the Army about 1973 or so. My Uncle bought a detector first & we went out in some woods along Missouri River in Missouri [state] He said he thought people camped there for years. (why I don't know) We walked up there & found an Indian Penney while we walked thru the woods -- but the detector wasn't on LOL - he just saw it

But that's all it took to buy one. The best I found was a token/medal from the 1893 Chicago world's fair

My first hunt was in 1966 in Vietnam. Two men from Whites factory in Sweet Home Oregon came and gave us a class in Whites Mine detectors. Didn't find what you could call treasures but I've been using Whites detectors ever since.

My first hunt was in 1966 in Vietnam. Two men from Whites factory in Sweet Home Oregon came and gave us a class in Whites Mine detectors. Didn't find what you could call treasures but I've been using Whites detectors ever since.

Interesting story James. And thank you for your service to our country !

Question for you : In your recollection, how deep do you think the machine that they showed you, could find a coin-sized object to ? Like, how deep do you think it could get a quarter to ?

Or was it only for large dinner plate and can-sized objects (ie.: land-mine sized) ?

It was for larger objects, never played with it on items smaller than a silver dollar. The interesting thing about the mine detector was it was field repairable. It had plugin modules supplied with the machine, came in the same box. If it stopped working you looked at the trouble shooting chart and picked the correct repair module. I've been to the Whites factory a number of times and spent time in their museum. They had some of these detector in the museum and I had to mention the fact I was trained on one. they told me Ken White was one of the one's who came to Vietnam and trained us. Too bad Whites is out of business, but times change.

My first hunt was today in my yard with Vanquish 540. Found my first coin, 1990 quarter.
Exciting to find first coin and exciting to begin to learn the machine. I think I'm hooked.

followed a Jr. High school chum around, as he hunted school yards with his Compass 77b, in about 1975 or '76. Was immediately fascinated at the concept. So I went out and found a used Whites 66TR for $100 . Took it out to my front yard, and found a memorial penny ! Wooohooo. :cool3:

Had a Garret ADS with the curved handle and big hanging box. Weighed a ton. Seemed like the curved handle and big box was the flavor of the day back then.

hard way to learn metal detecting. I was in Korea that year. Boy were we glad we were not in Vietnam. Not many enlisted men wanted to go to Vietnam for obvious reasons. But a lot of (not all) officers did to get their ticket punched for future promotional purposes.

If anyone is really interested in the problems the US Army had in Vietnam (other than we probably should not have been fighting a war on China's border area) read the book "About Face" by Col. David Hackworth. It is an eye opener. I finished it recently. 800 pages. I was in the Army for 3 years, but had no idea what when on with our Army Officers in their quest for promotions.

Most of my enlisted buddies, were just waiting to do our 2 or 3 years and get out.

hard way to learn metal detecting. I was in Korea that year. Boy were we glad we were not in Vietnam. Not many enlisted men wanted to go to Vietnam for obvious reasons. But a lot of (not all) officers did to get their ticket punched for future promotional purposes.

If anyone is really interested in the problems the US Army had in Vietnam (other than we probably should not have been fighting a war on China's border area) read the book "About Face" by Col. David Hackworth. It is an eye opener. I finished it recently. 800 pages. I was in the Army for 3 years, but had no idea what when on with our Army Officers in their quest for promotions.

Most of my enlisted buddies, were just waiting to do our 2 or 3 years and get out.

Saw it many times, officers coming in and out just to get combat listed on their DD214. We had the war won in early 1967, we captured a man that would have stopped the war, but he was back in the north with in two days. Still Can't talk about the rumor fifty some years later.

Saw it many times, officers coming in and out just to get combat listed on their DD214. We had the war won in early 1967, we captured a man that would have stopped the war, but he was back in the north with in two days. Still Can't talk about the rumor fifty some years later.

James, if you have not read Col. Hackworths book it is an eye opener. He was a real soldier, warrior, received a battle field commission in Korea and was in Vietnam as an officer. Was constantly pissed off at the candy ass officers who didn't know !!!! about the infantry tactics and fighting and went up to the camps once in Vietnam just to get their combat Infantry badge with out earning it. Some of the stuff he talks about wants to make you barf.

But then you may not want to read about that stuff any more. I was in the signal corp in Korea for 18 months, rest of time ft benning or signal school. I had very good duty during my 3 years. I stayed way from officers since I communicated 99% of my time with my sergeants. Thank God for that. Nothing against officers, just thought I would get in less trouble of slipping up. It was easy to be around NCO's. Left service as Spec-5.

John

how about this little guy.

Attachments

• jamessmith.jpg
    jamessmith.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 334
Back
Top Bottom