It's a start, anyway.

Redwaller

I don't really post about my finds but this time there was a bit more of an interesting story to tell so why not share?

So I'm a lot younger than most of this forum's members, as a matter of fact I'm just starting my freshman year of college, and about a month ago I secured permission to search literally any property owned by the college I'm attending. (This actually was very easy, and as it turns out the Dean of Students also metal detects, crazily enough) But anyway, I've spent the past month being thoroughly thwarted by the campus every time I've gone detecting. The oldest structures around campus date back to the 1820's and at this point I've searched around every single one including a few that aren't standing anymore - with no luck. The ground was either replaced, full of the most trash I've ever seen anywhere (Gee do you think that has anything to do with it being a college campus) or just oddly quiet but with old nails still in it. I found a few wheaties and that was about it. Until last night.

Last night I was trying another area where there might have been some activity in the early 1900's, I found a nice sterling religious pendant (I think it's from around 1940) I was feeling pretty happy with just that when a random guy walked up to talk to me, and he had a fair bit to say. He told me about how he'd seen some guys detecting the hillside near one of the structures I'd already searched the immediate surroundings of, and that apparently they were finding old coins, but he didn't know what. How foolish of me to think I was the first one to search campus! I'm still the only one with permission, but it seems I never really needed it - nice to have it anyway. So I went to go search this hillside, figuring that whoever these guys were, they almost certainly left at least a few things in the ground, and was pleasantly surprised to discover they weren't very thorough at all. All the easy signals were gone but they clearly skipped over anything they thought was trash; I dug some really bad signals and came away with: A 1917 wheat penny, a nice silver fronted iron backed 2 piece button (guesses as to how old it is would be appreciated), a dateless buffalo nickel, and an 1895 IHP. I also found another two piece button but I've somehow lost it so it's not in the picture, I swear it happened but I have zero proof. It was pretty late so I left with most of the hill left to search, who knows what I'll find next time!

(sorry about the picture quality my phone camera is abysmal)

Attachments

• coins2.jpg
    coins2.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 356
  • 1895ihp.jpg
    1895ihp.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 330
If you are already finding IH's & buffalos on your maiden voyages, I'd say you're off to a good start.

Good finds. If you soak the Buffalo nickel in peroxide it will bring out the date and lighted the coin as well.

Steve

If you are already finding IH's & buffalos on your maiden voyages, I'd say you're off to a good start.

I guess I should clarify: I've been metal detecting for years and done a lot better than indians and buffs elsewhere, this was just about my first few hunts in college.

Good finds. If you soak the Buffalo nickel in peroxide it will bring out the date and lighted the coin as well.

Steve

I don't think there's a ton of hope for it, it's definitely the single most corroded one I've ever found. I also don't have very easy access to peroxide here. But thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep it in mind.

I guess I should clarify: I've been metal detecting for years and done a lot better than indians and buffs elsewhere, this was just about my first few hunts in college.

I don't think there's a ton of hope for it, it's definitely the single most corroded one I've ever found. I also don't have very easy access to peroxide here. But thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep it in mind.

I have takes the most corroded nickel that I thought there was no hope for and peroxide works.

Steve

Nice finds! If the campus dates back to the 1820's I'm sure there are some amazing things yet to be found there.

Update on this, I went back to the site with a larger coil on and searched a pretty large area with absolutely zero luck. It's possible my only advantage over what I now know to be numerous other people who had searched here before me, was the small coil I used last time - it was pretty dense with iron in a lot of places. I also discovered there's a resident skunk uncomfortably close to the area all the coins were last time - if I have no luck on a third trip I'll probably start looking for better places to search, as it's fair to say right now I'm getting pretty skunked.

Back
Top Bottom