• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

My second video and my greatest find EVER!

Chip…
Just watched your video. What a story, and for you, a find of a lifetime.

Bet you’re thanking your lucky stars that you didn’t toss that mud-caked disk.

What an adventure to research that AND learn of a Kirkpatrick family connection.

Well done sir !

Good story. And fun to put all the passion and research into a video ! Good job.

Great video. Congrats on a great find. What are the odds of you finding the item and the connection to your family.

I would also point out that if you EVER hear an archie whine, that md'rs "rip items from context": This video shows that md'rs knock themselves out to research, document, and share their finds ! Something like this is now in the public domain . Via this video, for all to relish and learn from. Had it not been for those md'rs that some archie's despise, this would never have made it into the public's knowledge base .

Perhaps 40 yrs. ago, when the only show & tell was at the table at a brick & mortar club, the gripe could have had merit. Since only whatever group is gathered at the club meeting, sees it and talks about it on a single night. Then gone to someone's mantle-place, erased from history. But these days, with the internet & venues like Youtube, it is now there for future people to see, know, etc..... from anywhere in the world.

Last edited:

Edward the longshanks found out the hard way!..don't f**k with the Scots!
my family name is Taylor we fought alongside Wallace in the rebellions.
a wonderful piece of history, and a "lifetime" find! congratulations for "Savin' history", and relating the story! you are to be commended!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

What a wonderful history story! My wife has scottish ancestors so I was familiar with all the names and places. I can't imagine your feeling when you discovered what it was.

Hate to be a wet blanket, but if this relic was made in Scotland, shouldn't the date read "23 Augt 1299" instead of "Augt 23rd, 1299"? Isn't that the way they write dates over there? I apologize ahead of time if I'm incorrect...

Hate to be a wet blanket, but if this relic was made in Scotland, shouldn't the date read "23 Augt 1299" instead of "Augt 23rd, 1299"? Isn't that the way they write dates over there? I apologize ahead of time if I'm incorrect...

The way I understood the story, it was most likely made by Scottish settlers here in the US. Even the Declaration of Indpendence is dated July 4, 1776. So the date/year format became what we use today at some point earlier.

I was surprised there wasn’t more Gaelic or Latin and asked in the questions I sent out. One of the responding historians gave me an explanation that Gaelic was a Highlands dialect and Latin was only used in certain circumstances (its late and I can’t remember)

As far as the date, nobody queried raised any issues with it and I had about 50 respondents. So I can’t say

Back
Top Bottom