Training!

ManInTheWaLL

Banned
Like I would tell you, so you can find the 500 mil
I have about 85 coins and pop tabs buried in my yard, at various depths 2,4,6,8'.

I take my detector in each mode, and practice. During the day, during night, wet, dry. I do it in each mode. On automatic and manual range. I write down the target ID for each hole. And make notes about each reading.

I feel the only way can analyze and understand a detector is by observing its behavior over a known item, that stays relatively the same ( except moisture)

Obviously going out to different locations is another great thing to practice.

What do you do, to practice?

I really don't "practice", every time I pick up my detector it's for real .I go over nearby dirt that I have heavily hunted to see if I can find anything. I use the detectors I presently have with different coils and settings. I'm strictly a " hunt the wild coin" hunter . Many folks do well with coin gardens , it's not my cup of tea . Partially because I can't bring myself to take the time to do it and I feel I can actually learn more about my detectors going over coins in their naturally lost habitat . After resorting to digging any faint junk targets at places like my own small property . it seems good targets at new places jump right out at me .

I take my detector in each mode, and practice. During the day, during night, wet, dry. I do it in each mode. On automatic and manual range. I write down the target ID for each hole. And make notes about each reading.

I hope youre kidding. Buried 85 coins? Seems like a lot of wasted time. Practice in the wild. Learn as you go. You might find something cool along the way. No chance of that swinging over your garden.

I hope youre kidding. Buried 85 coins? Seems like a lot of wasted time. Practice in the wild. Learn as you go. You might find something cool along the way. No chance of that swinging over your garden.

Not joking at all. Next I want to burry a couple nails, pop caps, and jewelry. I took a picture of each coin in each hole, and recorded the depth.

I probably have 10 silver dimes buried. At various depths.. I even have holes with 3 penny's and 1 quarter, etc in it. I feel once I half every aspect of these static finds memorized in every notch of my brain, it will go a long ways for me to help recognize and differentiate these coins in the wild.

How can you practice and learn on something that is not static? Sure there are ways, but I feel this will be a very beneficial aspect towards making me one with my metal detector(s). And... encountering various types of locations will be another important part of my training.

90 percent of anything is mental. I intend to practice meditation and visualization prior to my training, and real life searches.

Test gardens are completely acceptable for comparisons, provided that the garden was completely cleared of all targets before target burial, and the the comparisons are done at the same time to avoid differences in soil moisture.

Many years ago when I bought my new Fisher F2 I built a "test garden" to aquatint my self with the new machine. Mine was not quite as extensive as the OP, but adequate to familiarize my self with the new machine. I am contemplating a new machine (F22) and will do the same. When I burry my targets, I put them in a small zip-lock bag.

it would be great if you could share with us the TID's on your test garden for your CTX3030, XP2 and Legend.

As you know, you'll get different readings from different depths, different settings.

I spent most of the day just getting TIDS from the High Trash, Low Trash, Ground/Coin, Ferrous/coin in manual sensitivity. Tomorrow I hope to do the same thing, this time in Automatic. That will be an additional 340 readings. So, I'll have over 680 Readings just from the CTX alone.

And I guess the Deus gives different TID's in the different modes.

I used my whites mxt for the first time, it detected my 1OZ maple leaf as "Foil"

As you know, you'll get different readings from different depths, different settings.

I spent most of the day just getting TIDS from the High Trash, Low Trash, Ground/Coin, Ferrous/coin in manual sensitivity. Tomorrow I hope to do the same thing, this time in Automatic. That will be an additional 340 readings. So, I'll have over 680 Readings just from the CTX alone.

I used my whites mxt for the first time, it detected my 1OZ maple leaf as "Foil"

still it would be nice for you to publicize your TID results. One of the most useful features is knowledge that the more experienced members can pass on to the newbies. As you know a metal detector manual just gets one started in the learning process. the vast knowledge of members in my opinion surpasses and goes beyond all books on metal detecting.

For instance over at Treasurenet a once active member vferrari was probably one of the most experienced detectorist when it came to truly understanding the whys of metal detecting.

We have more than a few members on this forum that know metal detecting inside and out and especially know about the little quirks and little known features of specific models. When it comes time to learn a your new detector this knowledge can get you quicker up the learning curve along with using this knowledge in the field.

A recent for instance is several members enlightened some of us CTX newbies about the real meaning of the default "ground balance enable" check box. Another nice hint was hot to stop an accidental noise cancel on the CTX.

these are the kind of things that add greatly to this forum and the main reason I frequent this forum. Plus the fact there are a lot of really nice members on this forum who will take the time to answer all of your questions when asked.

Many years ago when I bought my new Fisher F2 I built a "test garden" to aquatint my self with the new machine. Mine was not quite as extensive as the OP, but adequate to familiarize my self with the new machine. I am contemplating a new machine (F22) and will do the same. When I burry my targets, I put them in a small zip-lock bag.

actually if you want the garden to be more realistic (and have time) don't bury them in zip lock bags or anything. let the metal meet the soil. Over time (20-20 years) the metallic ions will seep into the dirt and make the target appear larger than the metallic object. Of course not sure if that makes much of a difference over just a few years.

Last edited:
I have a test garden with a few coins and a few junk items. But primarily for practice I go to schools and parks. These are target rich environments with many coins and much trash. I read everything I could on metal detecting on multiple forums as well as a few books. But experience is the best way to learn and trashy public places are great for that.

Unless it is an old school I don't expect to find much, possibly the odd jewelry item. Still I'm going to get a bunch of clad and I'm going to scan and dig a lot of signals. For me personally I feel this is a great way to practice and learn the hobby or a new machine. This time of year I hit a lot of schools as the woods have become too thick and the ground too hard and dry to dig in a manicured lawn.

Not joking at all. Next I want to burry a couple nails, pop caps, and jewelry. I took a picture of each coin in each hole, and recorded the depth.

I probably have 10 silver dimes buried. At various depths.. I even have holes with 3 penny's and 1 quarter, etc in it. I feel once I half every aspect of these static finds memorized in every notch of my brain, it will go a long ways for me to help recognize and differentiate these coins in the wild.

How can you practice and learn on something that is not static? Sure there are ways, but I feel this will be a very beneficial aspect towards making me one with my metal detector(s). And... encountering various types of locations will be another important part of my training.

90 percent of anything is mental. I intend to practice meditation and visualization prior to my training, and real life searches.

Get the damn net..

Any metal underground has its own particular properties regardless. You will not be able to differentiate one from another with today's technology. Don't think so? Have someone bury a few pop tops and pull tabs and a gold coin. Now you go find the gold coin. Don't bet you can, you will lose.

Too many variables involved. The ferrous, nonferrous discrimination of any good beep and dig detector will locate more valuables than a modern whiz-bang job.

I have about 85 coins and pop tabs buried in my yard, at various depths 2,4,6,8'.

How about those coins 3",5",7",and 9"? They'll read different.

Last edited:
I’m with most the others and I don’t think anything can replace a coin that’s been in the ground 50+ years. The only way I see it to practice is to get out and do it. It would be terribly difficult for me to emulate the exact conditions facing while detecting but if it works for you then keep on doing it.

I’m with most the others and I don’t think anything can replace a coin that’s been in the ground 50+ years. The only way I see it to practice is to get out and do it. It would be terribly difficult for me to emulate the exact conditions facing while detecting but if it works for you then keep on doing it.

But how are you going to know how a detector acts with every mode, every setting, if you don't have a controlled situation to test that against, and examine over and over?

I agree, the best training is to go out and do it, but I think there is something to be gained with a garden, and some other training.

is it funny that maninthewall will never reply to any post that indicates he knows anything about metal detecting?

I ask him to share his painstakingly recorded results with the community and zip, zero, nadda, nothing from him about this simple requests.

see below:

Originally Posted by ManInTheWaLL View post

I replied:

still it would be nice for you to publicize your TID results. One of the most useful features is knowledge that the more experienced members can pass on to the newbies. As you know a metal detector manual just gets one started in the learning process. the vast knowledge of members in my opinion surpasses and goes beyond all books on metal detecting.

For instance over at Treasurenet a once active member vferrari was probably one of the most experienced detectorist when it came to truly understanding the whys of metal detecting.

We have more than a few members on this forum that know metal detecting inside and out and especially know about the little quirks and little known features of specific models. When it comes time to learn a your new detector this knowledge can get you quicker up the learning curve along with using this knowledge in the field.

A recent for instance is several members enlightened some of us CTX newbies about the real meaning of the default "ground balance enable" check box. Another nice hint was hot to stop an accidental noise cancel on the CTX.

these are the kind of things that add greatly to this forum and the main reason I frequent this forum. Plus the fact there are a lot of really nice members on this forum who will take the time to answer all of your questions when asked.

I rather supsect that there are very few Friendly forum members who believe this guy is the least bit sincere. He is trying to take all of us for a ride for his own self-serving sick reasons. Like another forum member staid, I hope he gets professional help.

is it funny that maninthewall will never reply to any post that indicates he knows anything about metal detecting?

I ask him to share his painstakingly recorded results with the community and zip, zero, nadda, nothing from him about this simple requests.

see below:

I replied:

I rather supsect that there are very few Friendly forum members who believe this guy is the least bit sincere. He is trying to take all of us for a ride for his own self-serving sick reasons. Like another forum member staid, I hope he gets professional help.

I saved all the readings into reminders on my iPhone. There is no easy way to

see below:

I replied:

I agree, I wish people would share stuff more on here. And.. I hate to say it, but making me the topic, does not promote and gain knowledge. If you look, I don't comment about other people. So, this is nothing but an attack aimed at me.

Someone else said I don't have any metal detectors, I may go to the airport tonight, with one or a few, and take a pic of them in my plane, with a piece of paper.

But.. what I learned from burying 85 coins so far is, you are going to gain knowledge by planting your own garden, and going over it and over it again and again, with fast swings, slow swings, different weather, even in different moods, yes I said moods, as in your emotion mood. Maybe for a beginner for the first week a list of IDs would help, but beyond that, it's time to practice on your own. In fact, a list can be very deceptive, because as you know, you can get a coin to read outside the listed ID.

Also, I saved this in reminders in "short hand format" on my iPhone, its practically impossible to export it into any legit form easily.

Below is a list of what's in one row, and the list of the test results from one row.

Attachments

• IMG_0827.jpg
    IMG_0827.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0828.jpg
    IMG_0828.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 219
Back
Top Bottom