My Garrett AT pro stock coil ear is broken.

TreasureLord_Kc

The stock coil on my at pro one of the coil ears is broken I had cut a make shift plastic piece to fix but it wasn't good enough and kept coming off. Is there anywhere I can get new ears or maybe they could be 3D printed.

The stock coil on my at pro one of the coil ears is broken I had cut a make shift plastic piece to fix but it wasn't good enough and kept coming off. Is there anywhere I can get new ears or maybe they could be 3D printed.

Whatever you find, it'll need to be attached very securely. Every coil is a bit different, so unless you can find someone who already makes the ears, or a stiffener for that coil, you're likely going to have to improvise yourself. A year or two? back, someone on this forum used thick (like 3/16" or 1/4") "L" shaped plastic braces that were epoxied to the coil base (and iirc also to what was left of the ears) and drilled them with coil bolt eye holes, and probably used a longer coil bolt. It looked ugly, but it looked bulletproof too. I'll try to find the thread but my luck searching this forum is generally quite low...

I came here hoping someone else had already created a 3d print for the garret AT pro coils I have the stock dd and a smaller one that both have broken ears. I'm currently gluing some plexiglass type material to the sides of the ears and putting as many pieces back as possible but I don't think this is going to last a long time. I guess it's time to learn cad.

I should have a new AT Pro here Monday, have calipers as well if you don't have dimensions by then.

ETA: How about the "old guys" Max? Same coil/dimensions.

I got ahold of an AT Pro, I pick it up tomorrow. I forgot that about 4 years ago I got a guy from work interested in detecting and he bought an AT Pro. He never really detected though, he would just show up to detect with a cooler of beer whenever we linked up, and would post up on a bench or against a tree and shout out "find anything good?" every time I dug. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I might be able to flip this fast, I'm currently on administrative leave for a stupid clerical error at work, so the government is paying me $80 an hour to sit home until they sort out, and they are saying it could take 2 weeks to sort out. :shock:

If I ever went golfing with friends, I'd have adopted the same method as your your co-worker and detecting :lol:

I have no experience in your field, but have plenty in setting at home, can you get me an application? :laughing:

this One ear is broken off of the coil, as noted in the phots

get you some M.E.K. and you can make it like new again....

M.E.K. is available at home depot paint department...it will soften / melt the plastic....it will bond it back together then cut up some more plastic and make a slurry a goopy slurry..it will have to set for awhile to melt in a non plastic container then gob on both sides of the ear after you have it fused back on and let it dry then redrill the hole....It will be strong....Thats the same stuff they glue coil's together with....like a Tesoro coil or a whites coil...they just make a slurry and it melt's the plastic together,,,

this One ear is broken off of the coil, as noted in the phots

get you some M.E.K. and you can make it like new again....

M.E.K. is available at home depot paint department...it will soften / melt the plastic....it will bond it back together then cut up some more plastic and make a slurry a goopy slurry..it will have to set for awhile to melt in a non plastic container then gob on both sides of the ear after you have it fused back on and let it dry then redrill the hole....It will be strong....Thats the same stuff they glue coil's together with....like a Tesoro coil or a whites coil...they just make a slurry and it melt's the plastic together,,,

Great suggestion!
Ive used this technique in the past, to repair other ABS items.
There are YouTube videos, explaining how to make a "ABS slury".
Its an easy process, and I believe it would work well here.

Up until the mid part of last year I was making and selling the ears for the Apex/Ace detectors. I have no idea if they fit the AT. They did not sell well, so I stopped making them. Because of health issues ,I stopped ebay late last year, but I am about to restart. My Equinox, and Xp parts sold the best, followed by the Legend. The process of repairing the coil is simple. If you are going to use a stiffener sold on Ebay, you must first repair the broken ear on the coil, because you need to take up the space between the ear and the detector rod. Any epoxy or JB weld for plastic will do if you have the old part. If you do not which was the case with the minelab coil pictured, you must make one. On the minelab coil, I used a cap from a ball point pen, and an old soldering iron with a flat tip, ground it to shape and redrilled the hold, then with the expoy glued the stiffener to the coil.
This coil is from a minelab gold machine, cannot remember which, repaired it for a friend. In time, mostly due to age, they will all break.
I taught plastic welding as part of my courses at a community College here in Arizona.

Attachments

• garrett.png
    garrett.png
    50.6 KB · Views: 75
  • coil 1.png
    coil 1.png
    364.2 KB · Views: 72
  • coil 2.png
    coil 2.png
    489.6 KB · Views: 69
  • garrett2.jpg
    garrett2.jpg
    649.2 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Go to Harbor Freight and buy a plastic welder. Trust me, they work great. I have fixed a ton of stuff with mine.

Back
Top Bottom