For you, what can be discouraging from MD?

So, are you saying you flew your plane to some secret location and hunted 2 different days and found just 1 wheat penny?

No. Unless you are seeing text I did not type. I have lots of locations locally, but.. If I'm bored, I can jump in the plane, and go to an airport that has a courtesy car, and MD in that area.

I'm sure anywhere you go, you are dumping $5 in gas also, or more.

Spending $30 in gas to the beach to come home with maybe $5 in change. That $30 does not include parking or beach tag.:mad:

But if you take your children or Grandkids out metal detecting that is like
returning with gold every time.

I went to an 1882 school house today. Got there, within 5 min, an old man showed up. Started talking. I baked in the sun for 2-3 hours talking to him, didn't get to metal detect. We had such a deep discussion, it got back to who his 4th grade teacher was, and how mean she was. Wasted my whole day. Never hot looking young women bothering me, its always old men. He did tell me the sites of 2 other old school houses that were tore down, sooooo

That's where you have to be the adult after so much conversation time has elapsed. You could thank the person and then say that you have to get back to work with your search or ask them if they would like to watch you while you detect. You live in a coastal beach area with a 19th century school house within driving distance? That hasn't been torn down for condominiums? Those other two spots might have a Smoothie King and Taro's Sushi bar there now. While you were there with the information the older gentleman gave you, did you drive by those two spots? That was a long way to drive for limited results.

Last edited:
Shotgun shells. I probably dig 100 shotgun shells and bullet casings for every coin.
Also, I'm in a rural northern area that's only been settled in the last 100 years, so there is literally nothing here. I have to travel to find anything older than 100 years.

Oh, and buried barbed wire.

The problem is you opened your mouth and choose to discuss ideas , events and yourself. Young hot women don't want to hear about your miserable outlook on human life. Now the creepy old grandpa's , that's another story. They are open to your views and going deep. Maybe they can change your ways . It is obviously a mutual attraction. Good luck with your new buddy !

as mentioned, you have a "'gift" the old guys can be a regular encyclopedia on old sites to hunt.ya just gotta show patience, and listen! you can compare it to being in a bar drinking at the counter when a beautiful "fox" attempts to "dump" on you.you will be a "big" man in her eyes if you just listen to her tales of woe.
women love men who "listen" to their problems!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

But if you take your children or Grandkids out metal detecting that is like
returning with gold every time.

True, my Son likes to look in the scoop at what I find. Now if I can keep him from jumping in the hole before I retrieve the target.:laughing:

For me, the most discouraging thing is being 76 years old and knowing that I won't be doing this hobby much longer, certainly not to the extent that I do it now or did it in years past. :( :oldguy: It'll be a sad day when I have to put the detector away for the last time but at least I've had a nice ride along the way.

For me, the most discouraging thing is being 76 years old and knowing that I won't be doing this hobby much longer, certainly not to the extent that I do it now or did it in years past. :( :oldguy: It'll be a sad day when I have to put the detector away for the last time but at least I've had a nice ride along the way.

Amen.

I went through the effort of breaking down my ATP (not easy after years of sand/grit build up), hauled it to Maui on vacation, and so far have found 76 cents, 10 pull tabs, and a few empty katchup packets on these beaches that see loads of visitors every day. :?:

I went through the effort of breaking down my ATP (not easy after years of sand/grit build up), hauled it to Maui on vacation, and so far have found 76 cents, 10 pull tabs, and a few empty katchup packets on these beaches that see loads of visitors every day. :?:

People have plastic cards or apps on their phone to make purchases nowadays. It is an accident for most people if they have coins or cash on them. They wear costume jewelry on the beach because if they own good jewelry, they do not want to lose it or get it dirty. It is an accident if they forget and wear their good jewelry. Population density does make the odds greater that you will find good targets on the beach. Along with those two factors, the beaches are full of people swinging detectors. The detectorists who find good stuff on the beach are working it like a job. You did good finding the 76 cents.

Having to battle melanoma early in life, an ongoing threat, my number one factor is the sun, and staying out of it. Second is the heat. Anything over 80 degrees and I’m toast.

The most discouragement I get from MDing is in my own head. Having high expectations. I go to a new permission with hopes of finding multiple silvers - maybe a couple 1800's coins (IHPs, nickels, etc.). That hardly ever happens.

When I started out, I just wanted to learn to find coins. Any coin was a win. I hunted a lot of parks in my area. Dug over a 1000 coins from them with only 3 wheat cents as old coins. So parks are just not a good place in my area. So this year I really wanted to focus on some permissions with old houses. But after a very cold spring, May arrived and it got dry right away. It has really limited my opportunities to hunt. So when I do get a chance (after a good rain), I go out with the mindset that I'm going to be finding silver! And if I don't... well, it makes it not fun.

So I'm working on just enjoying the few chances that I do get to go MDing. Just being able to swing that machine - because you never really know what you'll find next.

Back
Top Bottom