• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Very helpful Nox iron and trash tips...

DIGGER27, that is actually my video you shared. Thank you so much! I don't suppose you also saw the blog post I wrote on it? It's in the 'description' section of the video you shared but here is the link:
https://nwdetectors.com/blogs/news/how-to-avoid-digging-iron-trash-with-the-minelab-equinox-800

I haven't visited this forum in a long time and just happened to stumble upon your shared post so thank you.
This method won't help you eliminate all trash, but just avoid digging a ton of bottle caps and aluminum. It will also give you more insight into what's under your coil and you will begin to be able to call out what your targets are more easily:)
That said, in the video you see me dig a buffalo nickel, then the signal directly after that sounds exactly the same, but it's a piece of aluminum. I clearly state in the video and the blog article that not all aluminum is unavoidable.
For those who tried my method, you would know that pull tab signals are the signals that single frequency and multi-frequency AGREE on. Meaning they report very similar TID numbers. So, when I'm digging for gold jewelry, you'd better believe I'm digging a ton of pull tabs nickels, and larger chunks of aluminum. But I do eliminate a lot of aluminum, which saves me time and energy.
Jumpy signals are not bad at all, most signals will jump some. However it is the signals that make huge jumps in the range of 15-20+ TID points that reveal that they are mostly trash. You have to watch 'how' the signal is jumping. Is it jumping gradually, or dramatically? This can reveal a lot about what the target is.
For instance, let's say you were hunting and you had a signal that jumped from the mid-20's TID numbers to the high teens and back again. So it would go something like: 24, 16, 25, 16, 22, 17, 24, 15, 23, 18, 24, 16 etc.. I have personally found those signals are almost always irregular pieces of copper, brass, pewter, and occasionally rebar. In this case you will notice the TID numbers do not fall directly next to each other when they jump the way a penny does for instance, there is a gap to the jumps every time, this is a big giveaway that it is possibly one of the alloys that I stated above, but most likely not a coin.
Now, lets say you get a signal that is in the TID 20's range in single frequency, and you switch to multi-frequency and it drops below 10. That is almost aways a bottle cap (watch the video). Twist off caps are unfortunately unavoidable, but I avoid digging hundreds of bottle caps with this technique.
For those who say "but you'll miss a masked target if you don't dig bottle caps". Not if you are using your tools correctly. I can usually tell by the TID numbers, the sounds, and switching between multi and single frequency if there are two targets under the coil, it takes some training, but the Nox does a great job of letting you know.
I specifically love this technique because it allows you to take off all the discrimination (FE F2), keep your iron volume on, use a lower recovery speed, and use your mind as the biggest discrimination tool without losing depth.
I have three depth test videos, and in all of them I proved to myself that FE, F2, and higher recovery speeds would only inhibit the processor of the detector.
I saw the same pattern when I began to use the XP Deus 2.
In fact, I actually recently published a video with the XP Deus 2 on the same subject, using single and multi-frequency to help better understand the nature of your targets, and separate trash from treasure. I will also be doing one with the Nokta Legend as well soon.
I hope this technique helps more people like you, thank you again for sharing and happy hunting!

Digger 27 passed away about a year ago. His contributions to this forum and several others were immense, highly informative and always given with no strings attached.

D-Tone, your post has lots of good information. I am sure it will help others. Thanks for sharing it.

the most important point I attempted to prove to myself was just slow down...examine targets a bit more closer, don't just blow off jumpy signals or others that don't make sense.[/YOUTUBE]

Nailed it.

Slow down and examine.

Watch for the intermittent high ID.

Oh my gosh that is so sad... Well I pass on peace and respect to him.. Thank you everyone for letting me know... Like my boss says: I hope there's plenty of gold where he's going. RIP

Back
Top Bottom