Training!

Go detecting, no test targets planted.
Note your settings.
Note TID
Dig target
Identify target
Note depth

Repeat.

Review results as those are your "test" results.

Meditation ? For detecting ?

Absolutely. Ask any coach, and they will tell you almost any sport is 90% mental.

The mind has great abilities, close your eyes, and visualize what you want to find, let your intuition guide you where you walk. Practice this before going to bed, put it in your mind you want to FIND. Some people tap into these abilities naturally, others need a little practice. Try relaxing more while detecting, see if it doesn't help.

I don't generally "practice" purse, but I will pass various targets over the coil, in a static setting, just to see what they might come in at, and to listen to the tone from the target. I've never had a test garden though.

Like many said, there's a certain amount of pleasure, when you find something unexpected, so the advice to get out and dig, is good advice to follow...

Maninthewall,

If it works for you, go for it! As a friend once shard with me, " Proper Planning Prevents Pitiful Performance." IM a newby so my opinion won't count for much. I just bought. Minelab Vanquish 440 and I'm learning how to use it. I'm get 20s on the VID and digging up iron. When I read about your coun garden, I thought, HEY I need to do that and see if it helps with my learning curve. I did bury a few coins just to try it out. But a garden... Sounds like a good place to start. Just my 2cents.

Interesting thread.

Practice?
Yep.

Sometimes I get the idea some folks think their is little value in detecting in less older sites. Quite the contrary.
Even more modern coins can hide. And be more difficult to detect. And the skill finding these can help find older coins in older sites.

The best part for me is to find a coin and be able to put some high odds on why I haven’t found it earlier using on previous hunts using perhaps some previous models or setups.

It is amazing at how even a 3-5” deep coin exists. And be there the whole time. Sometimes these are oldies too.

It does pay to stay in tune with ones detector. Just listening to it can help when sweeping.

Back
Top Bottom