Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Make It or Fix It Yourself

Old 05-15-2022, 08:30 PM
Elite Member

Default Predator foot pad option

I was looking around for other options for foot pads, and the idea hit me awhile back to use old bicycle brake pads. Looking around the garage, I only had the small black ones. I found these on Amazon for $7.43 and I had to give them a try: RUJOI Bike Brake Pads Set,V Brake Shoes with Hex Nuts and Washers, Brakes V-Brake Replacement Set for Cruiser MTB Mountain Bicycle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081FZ14XY...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Comes with 2 sets of brakes (4 pads total) and also the hex key to tighten them. They fit quite well, and don't look all that bad either. I will update after some in field use takes place, might trim them a little. Thanks for looking and happy hunting!
Attached Images

☆Oldest Coin FTY:1731 KG2☆

Old 05-15-2022, 09:44 PM
Supporter

Smart thinking !

Old 05-16-2022, 08:12 PM
Elite Member

OK, question. I'd recently purchased a Predator shovel, and like yours, has provisions for footpads.

I preferred the larger surface area (for my big feet), but never exactly understood the purpose of the pads?

Someone enlighten me, I don't want to miss out on something

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=295281

Old 05-16-2022, 08:34 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by ChrisMD View post
The only thing I can think of is that flat surface when wet is slippery as hell, with my Lesche Sampson whenever my shoes were wet if I wasn't careful/focusing and trying to pop plugs fast, my shoe would slip right off and rip the living hell out of my ankles as I raked it over the corner of the shovel. I might just be a turnip, but it happened more times than I can count.

I just ordered a Predator, I'm just going to design something with some knurls for grip and bolt that onto it, because $15 for a single footpad is nuts.
Thanks Chris! Maybe that's why I didn't understand, as I always wear boots with a heel.

I've got some drop cut pieces of stall mat, if I ever see the need, a couple pieces of that and 4-1/4" carriage bolts would be a cheap solution.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-16-2022, 08:58 PM
Elite Member

Chris is spot on, I severely bruised the arch of my foot a couple times hunting with wet sneakers. 9/10 hunts I'm in my work boots, but that 10% can be a real pain sometimes. These were a cheap alternative, and should help to avoid this. Hoping to get a hunt in this week, finally out of quarantine will update after a few hours of use.

Old 05-16-2022, 09:05 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by ChrisMD View post
Come to think of it, it's definitely only a warm weather thing, only happens when I have on some offroad sneakers or something like that. The mat and carriage bolts wouldn't definitely work.

The shovel that I have now (linked below( I never worried about it, because they engineered grip into the foot rest area, but after a couple years and long hunts this thing weighs 5 pounds and gets old after a while. Once I saw the Predator with a 40" handle was just a tad over 3 pounds I think the weight savings will be worth it.

https://highplainsprospectors.com/pr...xoCkukQAvD_BwE

Originally Posted by cellrdwellr View post
Chris is spot on, I severely bruised the arch of my foot a couple times hunting with wet sneakers. 9/10 hunts I'm in my work boots, but that 10% can be a real pain sometimes. These were a cheap alternative, and should help to avoid this. Hoping to get a hunt in this week, finally out of quarantine will update after a few hours of use.
I'll just keep wearing boots.

Old 06-26-2022, 08:34 PM
Elite Member

Update, these pads have worked flawlessly for 20+ hours so far. I was worried they might work themselves loose, but they are still in the same position as when they were installed. Definitely worth the money IMO!