Working on my Treasure app again

Cherry Picker

Forum Supporter
I have started working on the Treasure tracking app I started back in the 90s. What other options do you feel would be helpful? Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks

Attachments

• FK1.jpg
    FK1.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 187
  • FK2.jpg
    FK2.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 180
Nice job!

Might want to change the name so folks don't confuse you with that Dent's Run "the FBI stole my gold" guy! :roll::p:laughing:

Cool idea, but rather than a photo library I'd rather have a map and click on flags to see what I found in that spot if this is a GPS play. I run my Garmin now and do just that. But I do keep a photo archive elsewhere.

Cool idea, but rather than a photo library I'd rather have a map and click on flags to see what I found in that spot if this is a GPS play. I run my Garmin now and do just that. But I do keep a photo archive elsewhere.

I like the idea. What if I added that option when you click on the MAPS button? It could bring up a list of maps that you add, edit, or remove, then when you opened a map it would give you the option to add flags where you found stuff. Clicking on the flag would bring up the items information screen with pictures you add and info?

Yeah so this is a shot from the Garmin screen. I can change the icon for different things, like my green flags are coins, blue square is buttons. If you open it on the screen, you can list a paragraph of info on the icon. It's good to especially not clutter the screen too much with icons. One icon for maybe a 25 yard area, then just bullet list the finds.

Does Garmin have an export feature? Can you send a map to text/SMS or email? I was going to use Google Map export to get the map of choice, and then allow editing to add hotspot flags.

So it looks like I can export the packet of locations as a "GPS eXchange Format .gpx". But I don't know off hand what can read that file. Once I am home, I can try to check things out for you.

I will also add I might be in the minority of GPS tracking for finds. This might not be a big play for everyone. I mainly do it because I like to use the points for tracking locations, finding hotspots, firing points, etc. I also do write ups for permissions so property owners can see a layout. I also bounce the hot spots off old maps to further track hand drawn maps to modern times and see where things are/might be. I do a lot off work for my hunts off of the detector :D

I track many things in Google Earth, and GE speaks KML natively, as do many GPS devices. I think KML is the de facto standard on this sort of stuff, tho you may have to check my math on that point.

KML is basically XML with some geographic data built in to the protocol.

I would therefore recommend considering whether it makes sense for your app to speak KML. My GPS watch tracks paths and points in KML, then it seamlessly uploads into GE. Not sure if this is the goal of your app or not. Just a suggestion to look into.

Back
Top Bottom