White Eagle II ribbon cable needs repair

sofasurfer

I own a White Eagle II. The buttons on the left side of the screen don't work. I opened the controls. The ribbon from the screen is attached (inserted into) to a plug/fitting on the circuit board. The cable pulled out of the fitting. I tried to shove it back in but it did not stay.
Does this fitting unplug from the board or is it soldered? Does the cable need cleaning or anything before its put back into the fitting? How do I get it back into the fitting? What else do I need to know?

Bu the way, there are three ribbon cables. One comes from the main box of the detector and runs up the handle and into the circuit board. Its about an inch wide and made up of individual wires. The second cable is clear, with ten conductors running through it. It runs from the display to the circuit board. The third cable (the one that damaged) is about 3/8 inch wide. its a solid color and I can not see conductors on the end of it. The connector that it plugs into has two contacts.

Does the cable need cleaning or anything before its put back into the fitting? How do I get it back into the fitting? What else do I need to know?

I don't know that type of detector but these connectors are called FPCs or Flexible Printed Cables.

There are different types of sockets that the FPC plugs into.

Some are a friction fit - you just hold the cable square, try to support it as best you can and push it in.

Others have a part that you pull back or tilt up before inserting the cable. The part you pulled back is then pressed forward into the connector to lock the cable in place.

You need to be gentle with them. Try not to flex the cable too much as the printed metal conductors can get hair line cracks.

Then this would be called a friction fit. I'll mess with it again and see what I come up with.
I still do not understand the cable. It is a solid color with no APPARENT conductors. Its like a grayish color.
Thanks for replying.

Can you post a picture of the ribbon and connector? I was a digital camera repair technician of nine years and may be able to give some advice if I can see what you are talking about.

Back
Top Bottom