NOX 600 Which setting for all coins and relics

critik

Looking for someone who uses the Nox 600 and hunts mainly for all coins and relics such as silver coins 1800 coins, buttons, maybe a gold ring, civil war relics etc.

I do not quite understand the horseshoe and threshold and the accept reject settings. If you are a pro with the Nox and could help I would greatly appreciate it.

I am not a pro by any means, but I run my Nox in either Park 1 or Field 2. Start it up, noise cancel, ground balance and go detecting. Adjust the sensitivity up or down if you're getting electronic interference (chatty detector). The Horsehoe turned ON means you accept Iron. I don't use it. Don't notch out anything (your Accept/Reject button). Minelab recommends you run your threshold at 0. Just learn the basics and most importantly the sounds and GO SLOW when you detect. Good luck. And if you have more questions PM me.

Steve

Last edited:
Looking for someone who uses the Nox 600 and hunts mainly for all coins and relics such as silver coins 1800 coins, buttons, maybe a gold ring, civil war relics etc.

I do not quite understand the horseshoe and threshold and the accept reject settings. If you are a pro with the Nox and could help I would greatly appreciate it.

I use the 800, but all of the settings you are asking about work identically on the two machines. I’m also not a “pro”, but I’ve been using the Equinox exclusively for about 3.5 years, so I feel pretty comfortable and competent with the machine and adjusting the various settings.

The “horseshoe”, or All Metal button, is simply an easy way to toggle the machine between your selected discrimination pattern and no discrimination. For example, let’s say you’ve decided to notch out -1 through +8 so you aren’t bothered by iron and small foil, and maybe you’ve notched 15 through 18 also to eliminate pull tabs and other junk (you would accomplish all that notching by using the accept/reject buttons). When you activate the horseshoe button, you’ll hear everything - all the notched out numbers will be active again. Press the horseshoe button again, and your discrimination pattern comes back. The setting is useful for folks who use discrimination because it allows a fast way to check a target that sounds good in discrimination mode.

Here’s another excellent overview of the All Metal button on the Equinox (see Steve Herschbach’s response in this thread from the detectorprospector.com forums: https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/6714-understanding-all-metal-mode/

Threshold on the Equinox 600 in all search modes is a “reference threshold”, meaning it’s simply a continuous background tone that will blank out if you move the coil over a target that’s been notched, or discriminated, out. If you hunt with no discrimination or with the horseshoe button engaged, the reference threshold becomes meaningless - except maybe to let you know that the machine is still on in target quiet areas. You’ll hear full tones over any target the coil moves over. If you have iron notched out with no threshold tone set up, when your coil moves over an iron target, the machine indicates no response - no tone and no TID on the display…you’d never know anything was there. On the other hand, if you have iron notched out and threshold activated, when you pass the coil over iron targets, you still won’t hear an iron tone or have a TID show up, but the threshold tone will temporarily go quiet, alerting you that a metallic target that you have discriminated is under the coil. In my opinion, the decision to use discrimination versus a reference threshold is a matter of personal preference - you’re basically choosing between two different ways to “hear” undesirable targets. For any 800 users reading this, keep in mind threshold works a completely different way in Gold mode, but that’s not relevant to 600 users since the 600 does not have Gold mode. In all other search modes besides Gold mode, threshold is a reference threshold on the 800, just like the 600.

In my case, I usually keep the reference threshold on at a very low volume in the background even though I almost always hunt with the horseshoe button engaged. For example, if I’m hunting an old park or curb strip, I’ll have, say, everything below 8 notched out using the accept/reject buttons, the horseshoe button will be engaged with iron tones set to low volume, and threshold would be on at low volume also. This way I hear everything, even the iron grunts - I’ll know when I’m in an iron infested area, so I’ll know to slow down and/or adjust recovery speed, and maybe iron bias. If I get into an area that has very few targets, not even iron, threshold lets me hear that the machine is still on and working correctly, or that I didn’t forget to take it out of pinpoint mode. In areas with heavier iron where my ears get tired of listening to the grunts after awhile, I can turn off the horseshoe button, and still monitor the iron via the threshold tone…I can also continue to keep tabs on certain types of EMI if the threshold tone cuts in and out even when the coil is still. And it’s a simple matter of switching the horseshoe button back on to check a “good” sounding target.

In your case, I would strongly advise you to get comfortable hunting with as little notched out as possible. I know for a fact that buttons, rings, tokens, and other non-ferrous items that you mentioned you want to find can come in at almost any TID. Even certain US coins from the 1800s will ring up with numbers often considered in the “trash” range by many hunters (15/16 for Flying Eagle cents and early “fatty” Indian Head cents, for example). In fact, if you are serious about “civil war relics” in general, you probably want to avoid notching anything out, including iron - artillery shell fragments and other desirable CW relics will ring up as iron.

I hope that helps clear up those settings a little for you

Last edited:
Where that horseshoe is... they should have put the power button...

Back
Top Bottom