• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

How big do you make your plugs?

KatieKat

I’m having some trouble with digging plugs and still being able to find the target. Usually it ends up being off center and my target is slightly to the left or right of my plug. How big do you normally dig them? Softball sized? Bigger? Smaller?

I generally dig a hole diameter according to the indicated depth it reads. It it shows 2 bars or less, I begin with my handheld pinpointer to see if it's really that shallow. The game is basically finished right then.

I had troubles just like yours, always finding my actual target ended up outside of my plugs. I could dig a 7" round diameter hole and that deep and could bank on it actually bring low-right or low-left of the pinpoint center the Equinox read it to be. I personally found that I got more accuracy by using the original firmware version 1.5 which the Equinox came with. My logic in seeing that as reasonable, is that ML made a revision to address the "silver half dollar on edge" not reading well. I wondered if a half dollar edge coin had a multitude of variations of "edge" and the software for pinpointing the smaller coins in their less than totally flat position, messed with the basic function of pinpointing accuracy. I seemed to suddenly lose accuracy with pinpoint right after V1.75 thru 3.0.

Ok, enough about that, it is my theory, likely the only person with that possible idea. Besides, Version 1.5 can still mess it up for me, I don't think so much though as the new versions.

Cut to the chase. I went to using the wiggle method where you slowly bring back the coil in tiny side to side movements, in discrimination mode, NOT using pinpoint mode, and seeing where the sound goes away near the nose of the coil. The 11" coil is a bit tricky but it works fine once you get the wiggle, or waggle as some call it.

Your target should then be right under the nose of the coil, so most any diameter roundness get the dig target dug first time.

I use this method all the time now. I use the general pinpoint method to get the first idea of how large the target it, but I hone in by using the wiggle method.

Hopefully I haven't confused you totally, because this method really does work. You can test it on a surface coin for practice, or the shallow ones. Hope this helps. BTW, I run V1.50 on one NOX and V3.0 on the 800. The updates do have certain good things, but I live by pinpointing with this method I described. I figure than Minelab put out the best version upon delivery of the Equinox to the public, with a good pinpoint.

4-6 inches depending on how strong, or weak, the signal is (VDI too). If I can locate it with my pinpointer before I dig, even better...

Keeping a VERY close and practiced eye on the EXACT spot of ground where you hear the signal is key for not only the best ID and depth indication, but also for finding the target with the first plug with no modifications to it. If you have a shallow target, at times you will get a “triple signal”…as the leading edge, center and then the trailing edge of the coil pass over it. There IS some sensitivity to the coil edges themselves, so to find a target in that situation I like to raise the coil a couple inches and swing over it. You can normally isolate it like this. I also use Martins “wiggle back” method on certain targets that I have questions about. This is actually a VERY reliable method.

Martin,
I'm pretty new and you confused me with Discrimination mode vs pinpoint mode....How do I do discrimination mode...I use the pinpoint feature on my 600, and find myself off a lot..I do use my Garrett carrot when it is shallow...tell me how do I use the discrimination mode.....Told ya I was new....Thanks

Martin,
I'm pretty new and you confused me with Discrimination mode vs pinpoint mode....How do I do discrimination mode...I use the pinpoint feature on my 600, and find myself off a lot..I do use my Garrett carrot when it is shallow...tell me how do I use the discrimination mode.....Told ya I was new....Thanks

Open discrimination is when swinging to find a signal and pinpoint mode by using the pinpoint button on the detector. The pinpoint function is basically all metal, whereas the discrimination mode lets you isolate the signals you allow to come through.

In a park or yard I always try to pinpoint before digging. There are times the target will be too deep, but I always try that first.

I generally dig a hole diameter according to the indicated depth it reads. It it shows 2 bars or less, I begin with my handheld pinpointer to see if it's really that shallow. The game is basically finished right then.

I had troubles just like yours, always finding my actual target ended up outside of my plugs. I could dig a 7" round diameter hole and that deep and could bank on it actually bring low-right or low-left of the pinpoint center the Equinox read it to be. I personally found that I got more accuracy by using the original firmware version 1.5 which the Equinox came with. My logic in seeing that as reasonable, is that ML made a revision to address the "silver half dollar on edge" not reading well. I wondered if a half dollar edge coin had a multitude of variations of "edge" and the software for pinpointing the smaller coins in their less than totally flat position, messed with the basic function of pinpointing accuracy. I seemed to suddenly lose accuracy with pinpoint right after V1.75 thru 3.0.

Ok, enough about that, it is my theory, likely the only person with that possible idea. Besides, Version 1.5 can still mess it up for me, I don't think so much though as the new versions.

Cut to the chase. I went to using the wiggle method where you slowly bring back the coil in tiny side to side movements, in discrimination mode, NOT using pinpoint mode, and seeing where the sound goes away near the nose of the coil. The 11" coil is a bit tricky but it works fine once you get the wiggle, or waggle as some call it.

Your target should then be right under the nose of the coil, so most any diameter roundness get the dig target dug first time.

I use this method all the time now. I use the general pinpoint method to get the first idea of how large the target it, but I hone in by using the wiggle method.

Hopefully I haven't confused you totally, because this method really does work. You can test it on a surface coin for practice, or the shallow ones. Hope this helps. BTW, I run V1.50 on one NOX and V3.0 on the 800. The updates do have certain good things, but I live by pinpointing with this method I described. I figure than Minelab put out the best version upon delivery of the Equinox to the public, with a good pinpoint.

I am actually a pro (self proclaimed, lol) with the wiggle method on my Ace 200. I JUST got my Equinox 800 a few days ago and am getting used to the differences. I’ve used it twice and am loving it. So far I just have it set on park 1. I’ll use your idea of pinpointing, followed up by the wiggle. Reading other people’s comments, I have been digging my plugs too small, so that it something I can easily change.

So, I assume you dig the plug larger if the signal is weaker, and smaller if the signal is stronger?

That's what I do.

When I get a good, sharp signal, I tend to keep my plug narrower. But if it's iffy, I'll make it larger to accommodate the possibility that the desired target (usually a coin, for me) is next to an undesirable piece of metal, like iron.

As for depth, the deeper I think the target is, the wider I cut the plug. I do this to accommodate the "taller" nature of the plug. It's a lot easier to keep a plug intact when it's a "proportional cone" as opposed to it being a tall and slender peice of dirt.

Yes, I dig larger plugs if I think the target is deeper. If you dig a smaller plug, it'll just get bigger as you dig deeper anyway. I use the wiggle method too. I think its a great method for pinpointing your target. I actually prefer to use it over the traditional pinpoint button. Then, I zero in on the target with my pinpointer. If my carrot can't locate it, then I know its deeper than 4-5 inches

Small is fine. The key is to know that 11” coil. I noticed after the last update it moved it for me personally so I had to adjust. It truly moved it low and to the right by main coil input it seems. It may be from the way I locate with pin point on before I drop down to dig. Once I have a solid repeatable signal in two directions I then don’t use the wiggle method I locate on a axis. I swing in four directions real quick like an asterisk kinda. Once it seems to be centered I dig a small hole maybe 3x3. Yes sometimes maybe 30% I need to expand but usually I am very close or in side wall. I also notice rain plays a role as well as ground conditions but 90% of the time that’s what I do. I have over 2000hrs on my 800 now.

I usually probe to find my targets, so most holes are 6-inches or smaller.
Blind dig, my plugs are about 9-inches.

I have to ask….if your target is a coin, how do you manage to probe for something so small and actually find it? Do you use a specialized probing tool? I’ve seen them for sale.

Small is fine. The key is to know that 11” coil. I noticed after the last update it moved it for me personally so I had to adjust. It truly moved it low and to the right by main coil input it seems. It may be from the way I locate with pin point on before I drop down to dig. Once I have a solid repeatable signal in two directions I then don’t use the wiggle method I locate on a axis. I swing in four directions real quick like an asterisk kinda. Once it seems to be centered I dig a small hole maybe 3x3. Yes sometimes maybe 30% I need to expand but usually I am very close or in side wall. I also notice rain plays a role as well as ground conditions but 90% of the time that’s what I do. I have over 2000hrs on my 800 now.

This is helpful, thank you! I am not yet familiar with Equinox updates, and I’m still getting used to my coil. I need to watch more videos and read the manual. I was so excited to receive my new Nox last week, that I just had to jump right into it and go detect. With practice, and everyone’s helpful tips, I’ll hopefully get better at it soon.
So far I have only used my 800 for 2 hours, but I typically detect for 6-8 hours per week. Looking forward to my next days off.

Martin,
I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer...That didn't help me much...Can you explain that again in another way....I'm 77 so the old brain is a little slow on the uptake...

Where I live, we are not allowed to dig plugs in city parks, so I use more of a surgical extraction method. I locate the target with the Nox. If it is shallow (about 4" or less), I'll just pinpoint it with my F-Pulse and insert a probe to verify the target's location and depth. Then I widen the probe hole about 1-2" diameter and pull out the target with my finger or some rubber coated forceps and squeeze the hole closed.

If the target is smaller or deeper than 4", then I usually pinpoint with the Nox, verify with the F-Pulse and probe, then cut a 3-4" slit in the sod and pull it open slightly to extract soil with a very thin trowel until the target is reached. Then I use 12" forceps to recover the target, replace the dirt, and close the slit.

These methods leave zero trace of disturbance on the grass and no troubles with my local parks department.

Kate, some great advice here so far. First I would say to learn the sweet spot on your coil. You can do that by putting some coins on the ground and running your coil over them and see where the best and strongest signal is. Also try the pinpoint and take note on that. Although not definitive it should give you a guideline as to where under your coil the target is located. I prefer the wiggle back from 2 directions and only use pinpoint function on deep targets. As far as plugs go, If I locate it with my carrot, I probe and pop or dig a tennis ball size. You will learn by the volume, the louder the signal the shallower the target. These are the ones you locate with your handheld. The softer the tone the deeper the target. Keep in mind this is for coin sized targets and there can be many variations for targets of smaller or larger size. For the softer tones I dig a softball size 4in deep plug and 95% of the time its in the center of plug when using the wiggle back. Good luck with your new machine. Mark

Back
Top Bottom