Largies Shield Nickel and a round ball

CharlieT84

Elite Member
I obtained permission to a few different fields. One promising bean field has only produced a beat up IHP and about 32 cents in clad so far. I will be trying other spots in this field.
A hay field has been good to me. A few days ago I found an 1867 Shield Nickel. It is my first one and I was very happy even though it was very rough.
I went back to that hay field and after 20 minutes of detecting I had a nice 31 on the Nox. It was down about 3 to 4 inches and in great shape. 1849 Large Cent. Then 6 feet away another 30 - 31 reading. 4 inches down out comes the 1827 Large cent. Crazy! I also found a round ball, I'm guessing from an old blackpower muzzle loader.

Attachments

• IMG_1935r.jpg
    IMG_1935r.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_1936r.jpg
    IMG_1936r.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_1922r.jpg
    IMG_1922r.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_1923r.jpg
    IMG_1923r.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_1937r.jpg
    IMG_1937r.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 316
Two LC's, only 6 ft. apart. And ... what .... probably back-to-back signals I suppose ?? :?: Not even a pulltab or clad dime to break the monotony ? Sick sick sick :sissyfight:

Two LC's, only 6 ft. apart. And ... what .... probably back-to-back signals I suppose ?? :?: Not even a pulltab or clad dime to break the monotony ? Sick sick sick :sissyfight:

You called it.... three minutes or less after the first.... I was circling out from these two finds and the third read was another 30 about ten yards away... I thought no freaking way.... but it turned out to be a clad quarter. Bummer :(

Some nice saves on the Largies Charlie. Congrats on your first shield nickel. I've only found one and believe it or not yours is in much better shape than the one I dug. They don't seem to hold up well in the ground. I hope one day to dig a nice one. The 1849 L C is in beautiful condition. Again congrats and good luck, Mark

You called it.... three minutes or less after the first.... I was circling out from these two finds and the third read was another 30 about ten yards away... I thought no freaking way.... but it turned out to be a clad quarter. Bummer :(

Our west coast hearts just bleed for you. You didn't get your 3rd large cent in a row. Oh boo-hoo. :crying: How do you handle the indignity ?? :roll:

Fantastic hunt. I love that you got two generations of LC's...crazy how close they were. Congratulations.

Some nice saves on the Largies Charlie. Congrats on your first shield nickel. I've only found one and believe it or not yours is in much better shape than the one I dug. They don't seem to hold up well in the ground. I hope one day to dig a nice one. The 1849 L C is in beautiful condition. Again congrats and good luck, Mark
Thanks Mark. I agree and want to find another with more detail.
Our west coast hearts just bleed for you. You didn't get your 3rd large cent in a row. Oh boo-hoo. :crying: How do you handle the indignity ?? :roll:
I went back today and found number 3 baby! 1833 I believe.

Attachments

• IMG_1938r.jpg
    IMG_1938r.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 213
Back
Top Bottom