• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Deep squeaks on the Equinox 800

PAslawslayer

I’ve been detecting a site in very rocky terrain that’s produced some really cool 1800’s relics, coins, and buttons. Now that I have a small area pretty much cherry picked, I’m now getting some very faint and deep reading signals on the 800. I’ve dug some of these signals to 12 plus inches until the pinpointer sounds off, but I never find metal. Question 1 is could I negate the possibility of a false equinox signal because I never got pinpointer activity until I was fairly deep? Question 2 is why do I get a more audible signal on these when I move to 20 or 40 kHz? When I get a scratchy signal, I like to experiment and detect the signal with all the signal freq’s to see what happens. I’m still pretty new to detecting and assumed that the lower frequencies would be “better” at deeper targets, but the higher frequencies seem to be hitting them more often and more repetitively.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been detecting a site in very rocky terrain that’s produced some really cool 1800’s relics, coins, and buttons. Now that I have a small area pretty much cherry picked, I’m now getting some very faint and deep reading signals on the 800. I’ve dug some of these signals to 12 plus inches until the pinpointer sounds off, but I never find metal. Question 1 is could I negate the possibility of a false equinox signal because I never got pinpointer activity until I was fairly deep? Question 2 is why do I get a more audible signal on these when I move to 20 or 40 kHz? When I get a scratchy signal, I like to experiment and detect the signal with all the signal freq’s to see what happens. I’m still pretty new to detecting and assumed that the lower frequencies would be “better” at deeper targets, but the higher frequencies seem to be hitting them more often and more repetitively.

'I’ve dug some of these signals to 12 plus inches until the pinpointer sounds off, but I never find metal."

You seriously dug a 12 inch deep holes listening just for the pinpointer to give tone, not found metals? How long have you been metal detecting? Learn to give up.

I must ask though. You wrote, "Now that I have a small area pretty much cherry picked."

What cherry pick gave you targets which told you to dig over 12 inches for tones, and then you got pinpoint without ever eventually finding a metal?

Sorry, I am lost here?

'I’ve dug some of these signals to 12 plus inches until the pinpointer sounds off, but I never find metal."

You seriously dug a 12 inch deep holes listening just for the pinpointer to give tone, not found metals? How long have you been metal detecting? Learn to give up.

I must ask though. You wrote, "Now that I have a small area pretty much cherry picked."

What cherry pick gave you targets which told you to dig over 12 inches for tones, and then you got pinpoint without ever eventually finding a metal?

Sorry, I am lost here?

Yes I seriously dug 12 plus inches until my pinpointer sounded off and didn’t find metal. I refuse to give up but will continue to ask for valid advice from those with experience.

As for the cherry picked area question, maybe my wording was wrong. I dug every good signal and even marginal ones in a small area until all that was left were those that showed up as deep and barely squeaky tones that were more pronounced using the higher frequencies.

I’m sorry if my wording didn’t make sense, but choosing to make me appear as an idiot wasn’t the correct way to respond.

I don't have a Nox but I can tell you with the excalibur in All metal how many Ghost signals I have chased, then on the opposite side how many have turned out to be silver or gold. We learn from experience for every location is different.

And I dig a lot of bad signals that are to deep for the detector to ID correct in the discrimination mode. And found gold. Keep digging and learn...;)

I don't have a Nox but I can tell you with the excalibur in All metal how many Ghost signals I have chased, then on the opposite side how many have turned out to be silver or gold. We learn from experience for every location is different.

And I dig a lot of bad signals that are to deep for the detector to ID correct in the discrimination mode. And found gold. Keep digging and learn...;)

Wise words. Very much appreciated.

I would agree with OBNs words of wisdom , particularly with the Nox. BUT....if you had a good PI machine these "light faints" might actually pop loud and clear.

We need more information? Are you in discrimination? Horseshoe mode? Have you strained this dirt for small targets?

Are you saying some times the pinpointer goes off,and sometimes not?

I don't use a Nox but those deep targets you describe are sometimes very large metal objects like hubcaps. They could be another 4-5 inches or more, depending on the size of the object and the range of your PP. If you use the Garrett carrot or similar, you can usually tell by the strength of the signal as you get deeper.

12 inches is my give up point. I've found large coppers at 12 inches (measured) with the E-Trac, but never a deeper coin, so that became my cutoff point after a few years of practice. But, I am a pure coin shooter. If you are in an area that may have a cool relic (such as a cannonball), you may have to dig deeper. I would ask the relic hunters how deep they are finding their stuff.

As for the frequencies, I have no clue. I do have an EE degree, but never practiced. My memory is that the lower frequencies have more energy, but with a VLF machine, all frequencies go quite deep; the issue is mineralization degrading the signal on the response side. I think the frequency response is more a function of the composition of the target than anything else (higher frequencies hit better on low conducting targets while lower frequencies hit on high conducting targets). Iron, tho, is a weird bird, and I'm not sure how that works in practice. Hopefully an EE who knows what they are doing can correct or shed light on the frequency issue you are seeing.

IMG_3902.jpg
A recovered object today from one of those deep squeaks at that site. It was about 6” off to the side from where my detector had the best signals from the surface. And it was about 14”.

I too, pay close attention to deep squeaks and blips. I use an EQ800 and I experience significant iron falsing on deep rusty nails, and other assorted bits of rusty junk. Even with Iron Bias turned way up, I cannot totally eliminate the false high tones that result from deep rusty iron. One thing I have noticed is that these falsing targets almost never pinpoint consistently. All too often I chase a deep target and I find nothing where the coil pinpoint indicated it should be. After excavation down to a foot or even more, the signal is still there but I cannot find the target. When you experience this, check the walls of the hole carefully with the tip of your handheld pointer, scrape away an inch or two of dirt away from the wall all around - my guess is that you will find the rusty junk causing the false high tone 3-5 inches into the side wall and sometimes shallower than you would expect. I don't understand it but the halo effect of rusty iron seems to be the source of these false signals, rather than the iron object itself. Very frustrating when chasing deep silver. Good luck.

Iron has always been a problem of Minelabs multi frequency machines. FBS is another one that loves bent nails,big iron,etc. Nox suffers the same.

You gotta take the good with the bad,I passed up false high tones that sounded great,and even tho I knew it was a bent nail I always turned around and went back and dug it. It’s more curiousity than common sense I’m sure ,but it’s hard not to dig those false signals that sound so good.

I've pulled some really deep silver with the Equinox. When I run across a deep coin it's a whisper with volume jacked and sensitivity 20+. On most of these really deep coins if you hover the coil over it, and slowly lift the coil your target disappears very quickly. If it's bigger than a coin it doesn't disappear as fast. The depth gauge on an Equinox is not great, but using it, the loudness of the target, plus raising the coil can tell you a lot about the size of the item.

When hunting around iron leave the horseshoe button engaged. You have to circle the target to see if it's iron or not. Generally a bent nail that sounds pretty good goes to !!!! when you turn and swing on it from the opposite direction. I'll be honest and say I seldom dig one way beeps that don't give me something encouraging when sweeping 180 degrees from the initial hit. It takes lots of practice to avoid digging iron. Everybody gets fooled sometimes, but if your digging iron constantly you definitely are not paying attention to what the machine is telling you.

Iron has always been a problem of Minelabs multi frequency machines. FBS is another one that loves bent nails,big iron,etc. Nox suffers the same.

You gotta take the good with the bad,I passed up false high tones that sounded great,and even tho I knew it was a bent nail I always turned around and went back and dug it. It’s more curiousity than common sense I’m sure ,but it’s hard not to dig those false signals that sound so good.

"FBS is another one that loves bent nails,big iron,etc. Nox suffers the same. "

Smartfind screen generally always told silvers for me. The Equinox hopefully will be developed with such an ability. What a machine that would be. Jmho

"FBS is another one that loves bent nails,big iron,etc. Nox suffers the same. "

Smartfind screen generally always told silvers for me. The Equinox hopefully will be developed with such an ability. What a machine that would be. Jmho

Somthing about the bent rusty nails that give a sweet high tone on Minelabs multi frequency machines. I agree about the smart screen bouncing ,that’s what I usto go by too. The equinox hits hard on rusty nails too like a coin, and for the most part I can tell by pinpointing it’s a nail ,,but I still dig it cause I’m just curious i guess.

I've pulled some really deep silver with the Equinox. When I run across a deep coin it's a whisper with volume jacked and sensitivity 20+. On most of these really deep coins if you hover the coil over it, and slowly lift the coil your target disappears very quickly. If it's bigger than a coin it doesn't disappear as fast. The depth gauge on an Equinox is not great, but using it, the loudness of the target, plus raising the coil can tell you a lot about the size of the item.

When hunting around iron leave the horseshoe button engaged. You have to circle the target to see if it's iron or not. Generally a bent nail that sounds pretty good goes to !!!! when you turn and swing on it from the opposite direction. I'll be honest and say I seldom dig one way beeps that don't give me something encouraging when sweeping 180 degrees from the initial hit. It takes lots of practice to avoid digging iron. Everybody gets fooled sometimes, but if your digging iron constantly you definitely are not paying attention to what the machine is telling you.

In bold above X2.

Somthing about the bent rusty nails that give a sweet high tone on Minelabs multi frequency machines. I agree about the smart screen bouncing ,that’s what I usto go by too. The equinox hits hard on rusty nails too like a coin, and for the most part I can tell by pinpointing it’s a nail ,,but I still dig it cause I’m just curious i guess.

My still digging those iron nail tones keep me digging the Equinox tones too, I still go back and dig. Not nearly as much as I did with the Etrac and Explorer though. Mainly, my age and ability nowadays stops me from those digs, especially with the Equinox. The rewards just ain't there as much now as with the Nox. Tough diggin on stubborn whims, without the backup of the Smart screens. Digging just gets harder now, without the the Smart screens.

This hobby gets to be a lot of hard work. HARD.

One thing I learned this past Friday....I was water hunting an old resort area with my Nox. My mentor had his Excal. He found a deep target, told me to check it out with my Nox. It was so faint...could barely hear it and was an iron grunt at negative numbers that only showed up one-way....Normally, I would NEVER have dug that. Well, he told me to dig it and about 14 inches down was a crusty "cookie coin". When I knocked the crust off, it turned out to be a 1940 quarter! He told me that's what the deep gold sounds like. Found 3 other silver coins that day chasing those barely audible, one-way sounds!

One thing I learned this past Friday....I was water hunting an old resort area with my Nox. My mentor had his Excal. He found a deep target, told me to check it out with my Nox. It was so faint...could barely hear it and was an iron grunt at negative numbers that only showed up one-way....Normally, I would NEVER have dug that. Well, he told me to dig it and about 14 inches down was a crusty "cookie coin". When I knocked the crust off, it turned out to be a 1940 quarter! He told me that's what the deep gold sounds like. Found 3 other silver coins that day chasing those barely audible, one-way sounds!

The one setting all machines should have is a audio gain imo. Deus and fbs machines are the only ones I know of to have that feature. Bump it up and faint sounds become clearer and louder. Just the most useful feature I've ever come across on any machine.

I have dug deep when I first started. Pinpointer would be beeping at 10-14 inches deep. Finally learned to just stop digging. But... I just read some information from 2 different people with a Nox 800.

Here in Wisconsin, people find copper float. Anywhere from the size smaller than a golf ball all the way up to 52 tons! The two said they got a nice deep 30-31 signal at 12 inches. When they dug, they went down 18-20 inches to find a piece of copper float about the size of an axe head. I'd really like to find some copper float, but not sure I'm willing to dig that deep. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom