Another Hobby is taking away from my detecting!

medicchief

Forum Supporter
I love to fly fish. I don't care what kind of fish it is, as long as they are fun to catch (and biting). I know bream aren't your typical big gamefish, but they put up a nice fight on a 5 wt. with 9' rod! I'll be detecting soon, but for know I'm going out the back door and playing on our pond....lol!

Attachments

• IMG_1966.jpg
    IMG_1966.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 357
Nice, plenty of time for both. I replaced a 7 weight l I bought in my early teens and was recently stolen with a 4/5 weight. I use it for panfish, fun and effective.

And Bluegill's are the best tasting fish!
They are! Next for me is catfish. Not a lot of folks care for the stronger taste but I love it. Have ‘em in my pond, we try to fish them out once they get close to three feet in length.

My favorite fish to fish for---panfish, Tasty too.
I used to make killer 6', 4wt fly rods.

Attachments

• flyrod1.jpg
    flyrod1.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 293
  • flyrod2.jpg
    flyrod2.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 301
My favorite fish to fish for---panfish, Tasty too.
I used to make killer 6', 4wt fly rods.

Beautiful work! Yes, they are tasty and I just put 100 Hybrid Bluegill in it too. I've got to thin out the bass, so they don't eat up the Hybrids before they mature. I was landing (ultralight) a bream last fall and a big bass took the fish and my rattlin cricket too! I'd like to have a 4 wt./6', it would be a little easier to use around the trees! Our pond isn't too big, but it's fairly deep and clean. We just have bass and bream in it. Thinking about adding a few triploid (sterile) carp for weed and algae control, but I've heard they'll also eat the fish eggs. The neighbors have a pond below ours that is full of catfish.

They are! Next for me is catfish. Not a lot of folks care for the stronger taste but I love it. Have ‘em in my pond, we try to fish them out once they get close to three feet in length.

We moved from the Lake Dardanelle shore last Spring and catfish was my favorite. The Blue Catfish are the best, very good eating at around 4-5 pounds. I broke many rods at our old dock, not to mention all the times I've had my 20 pound test line snapped!

Nice, plenty of time for both. I replaced a 7 weight l I bought in my early teens and was recently stolen with a 4/5 weight. I use it for panfish, fun and effective.

I hate to hear that MuddyMo! I've got an 8/9 for bigger fish and hopefully I can use it on some bass I need to thin out....that would be fun!

I've been a fly fisherman since the 1970s and tie flies as well. I taught my daughter to fly fish and she also enjoys it. It is also a fun hobby that puts you out into clean air and clean water and sometimes buffalo and bears and wolves (YNP)! Oh my!
At any rate, it's a hoot to design, tie and deliver a fly to a trout that takes with aplomb.

I really enjoy fly fishing as well, nothing like laying the fly just perfectly where you want behind a rock 30 feet out and seeing it get sucked under!

I've been a fly fisherman since the 1970s and tie flies as well. I taught my daughter to fly fish and she also enjoys it. It is also a fun hobby that puts you out into clean air and clean water and sometimes buffalo and bears and wolves (YNP)! Oh my!
At any rate, it's a hoot to design, tie and deliver a fly to a trout that takes with aplomb.

I want to get into fly tying as well. One of my SIL's has been tying them for years. That said, he keeps me stocked up...lol!

Sometimes I really enjoy fishing a lot but usually it takes a back seat to metal detecting. What really competes head-to-head with metal detecting is music. I've done both just about as long: Just about 40 years now. Music has also been more lucrative for me at one time was making it into a borderline profession but it wasn't enough to quit my day job. After I moved to the Pittsburgh area over 10 years ago things kind of changed and I found it just wasn't the same scene. However I have still remained active in the studio ever since and always keep some equipment around, synthesizers mainly, and the right gear for recording and mixing multiple tracks. Ever since I bought the two metal detectors listed in my signature I haven't been in the studio much but that's okay I know I eventually will again. As I said those two things have been almost Head to Head or maybe about a 70/30 in favor of music for nearly 40 years. In the "pleasant" months, spring and fall, I usually find stuff to do outdoors more often than not. I guess we can also add guns and shooting to my list of hobbies! I'm pretty flexible with that though and normally I just read about guns alot and just passively carry one for my general protection when I'm out and about.

Very nice! I used to love fly fishing for panfish. Tied my own flies too. I miss doing a lot of things like that, but life just kinda got in the way. Anyway,did you ever notice how a bluegill will kinda "swell up" right before hitting a surface fly? Good stuff.

The catfish of choice in my house is the Blue Cat. Properly cleaned they are excellent table fare. In my area in the spring they come into the shallows of the local lakes to feed on fresh water clams and then to spawn.

Havent fly fished in years since a thief stole 27 fishing outfists that belonged to me and my two sons. He also stole all my reloading equipment.

Sometimes I really enjoy fishing a lot but usually it takes a back seat to metal detecting. What really competes head-to-head with metal detecting is music. I've done both just about as long: Just about 40 years now. Music has also been more lucrative for me at one time was making it into a borderline profession but it wasn't enough to quit my day job. After I moved to the Pittsburgh area over 10 years ago things kind of changed and I found it just wasn't the same scene. However I have still remained active in the studio ever since and always keep some equipment around, synthesizers mainly, and the right gear for recording and mixing multiple tracks. Ever since I bought the two metal detectors listed in my signature I haven't been in the studio much but that's okay I know I eventually will again. As I said those two things have been almost Head to Head or maybe about a 70/30 in favor of music for nearly 40 years. In the "pleasant" months, spring and fall, I usually find stuff to do outdoors more often than not. I guess we can also add guns and shooting to my list of hobbies! I'm pretty flexible with that though and normally I just read about guns alot and just passively carry one for my general protection when I'm out and about.

I love music too! Guitars/Stratocasters have caused me to leave this hobby and come back a couple of times. I got into doing fret work and setups for people and it ended up being too much like work...lol. Same way with weapons as well....

Very nice! I used to love fly fishing for panfish. Tied my own flies too. I miss doing a lot of things like that, but life just kinda got in the way. Anyway,did you ever notice how a bluegill will kinda "swell up" right before hitting a surface fly? Good stuff.

I have, they have an aggressive approach, especially when they are bedding and being territorial. Also reminds me of a cat or something getting ready to pounce, prepping for the explosion of energy!

Is Mepp’s still around? They still buying squirrel tails?

I don't know, I'll have to check it out. I have a bunch of squirrels around the place. What's odd is that they are mostly grey squirrels, hardly any fox squirrels and they are abundant in Arkansas....

The catfish of choice in my house is the Blue Cat. Properly cleaned they are excellent table fare. In my area in the spring they come into the shallows of the local lakes to feed on fresh water clams and then to spawn.

Havent fly fished in years since a thief stole 27 fishing outfists that belonged to me and my two sons. He also stole all my reloading equipment.

Yep, I posted earlier about how good Blue Cat are, no other Catfish compares! Man, I hate thievery.....

Back
Top Bottom