Steve's detector rod counter weight and arm cuff

aj0421

Elite Member
After having creaking sounds coming from my factory arm cuff I decided to upgrade to the aluminum arm cuff that Steve sells. I didn't want to be out hunting down the beach an hour away from home and have my arm cuff break on me ending my day short. It is really well made and comes with a softer than stock strap and it is offset which worked out great for me as well because the factory location sits really close to the inside of my elbow joint. The factory location was really rubbing and irritating that area. I ordered the neoprene cushion to go along with the cuff and glad I did as it is quite comfortable.

Along with the extra weight of the cuff I asked Steve what was the shortest length counter weight he could make me to achieve the feel of swinging a 6" coil and this is what he came up with. It measures 2" off the end of my carbon shaft and weighs 7 oz. It does not hit the side of my body when I am doing large coil sweeps. I can't wait to try out the counterweight on a long hunt and will post back with my thoughts.

In closing Steve at Steves dector rods is a awesome guy to work with and will get you setup to what works for you and your application.

Attachments

• 20210920_133611.jpg
    20210920_133611.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 257
  • 20210920_133639.jpg
    20210920_133639.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 256
I have Steve's 4 3/4 counterweight loaded with lead shot and it definitely helps. But I don't see how that itsy bitsy one would make a difference.

Steve

I have Steve's 4 3/4 counterweight loaded with lead shot and it definitely helps. But I don't see how that itsy bitsy one would make a difference.

Steve

It makes a nice difference with the added 4 oz aluminum cuff, its a total of 11 oz that was not there before.

aj0421 --

THANKS for the kind words; I am so glad to have had the opportunity to work with you, and get you set up as you had hoped.

stetam -- I hear you, LOL! It's tiny! But, without including any "bags" for the shot, but instead just putting loose shot inside and filling it as full as possible, I was able to get it up to 7 oz, despite the short length. Then, as aj said, he also bought the Herke arm cuff, which adds about 4 oz. of extra weight as compared to the stock cuff. And so, in his case, that 11 extra ounces is enough to make the machine, with 11" counterweight attached, achieve roughly the same degree of balance as the machine would have if swinging the 6" coil (without any counterweighting). In other words, that setup allows his machine to FEEL like there is only a 6" coil attached, despite him actually swinging the 11" coil. It is close to the same effect you'd feel, in your case, if you swing your 4 1/2" counterweight with only the 8 oz. shot bag installed...the difference being that your weight (with both bags installed) can also achieve "6-inch coil balance" with the big Minelab 12" x 15" coil, whereas aj can't do so, with that short weight. But, since he doesn't plan on getting a bigger coil, we were able to customize a solution that was specific to him.

Thanks, gents!

Steve

...I don't see how that itsy bitsy one would make a difference.

Steve

That itsy bitsy one would be perfect for use with the 6" coil, which is what I primarily use. I was thinking of almost exactly this configuration Saturday when I used my new carbon fiber shaft from steveg for the first time. This is definitely on my radar.

Big shout out to Steve for a quality product and most excellent customer service!

fullbattery --

THANKS for the kind words! And if you want an "itsy bitsy" counterweight, for use with your 6" coil, I'm happy to build you one as well.

THANKS!

Steve

That itsy bitsy one would be perfect for use with the 6" coil, which is what I primarily use. I was thinking of almost exactly this configuration Saturday when I used my new carbon fiber shaft from steveg for the first time. This is definitely on my radar.

Big shout out to Steve for a quality product and most excellent customer service!

I am glad I made this thread so everyone can see the possibilities that can be made for different applications.

Update: I used the counterweight today for 3 to 4 hours on the beach and it felt really good. I could have went longer but I had to leave to pick up my Son.

Thanks again Steve!

I am glad I made this thread so everyone can see the possibilities that can be made for different applications.

Update: I used the counterweight today for 3 to 4 hours on the beach and it felt really good. I could have went longer but I had to leave to pick up my Son.

Thanks again Steve!

aj -- I'm glad you did as well! I am always happy to custom-build for folks who need something a bit different from the "norm."

I'm SO glad to hear that it's helping you to be able to comfortably detect longer than you other wise would have been able to; that's EXACTLY the purpose of the counterweights.

Thanks!

Steve

Back
Top Bottom