Nokta makro smf live launch!

Oh no, Trashfinder. I have to agree with these guys, you get a nice soft deep squeak 27-78, dig down 7 or 8 inches only to find a square part of a pull tab. This is not the exception, this happens quite frequently as do copper, pennies high toning and coming in the 30s. I have 2 800s, use them both. I used the 15in. now sold the stock the 6 in and the 10x5. The 6 and 10x5 make rusty iron and nails sound great and small chunks of aluminum, you think you have a great target under your coil only to dig junk. End of the day, the stock coil wins Imo .If the Nokta can remedy these things, which I doubt I would buy one in a heartbeat. I do like my Equinox but not brand loyal. Nothing wrong with their machines. Minelab just needs to work out the glitches. Incidently. I got my first 800 2-28-18. In less than 2 months I sent it back. Nickels were Iding at 22-24. And yes I checked and rechecked for any surrounding targets and there were none. Since I've learned the Equinox acts up now and then and I've accepted it and work around it but it definitely has issues. Hopefully in the next version a lot of this will be dealt with, if not, someone will.

Sounds like your Equinox had a problem, mine Ids nickels at 13/14.

I've only had my 800 a couple of months now and I'm a novice detectorist. So...

But my experience matches Mark's almost exactly. Just lower his numbers by 2, and that's exactly how my Nox runs. Copper pennies heavily overlap with clad dimes. Clad dimes sometimes break into the 30's. And everything else he describes, that's how mine runs.

That's how I've learned it though? I'm obviously very much still learning the machine. But have put in quite a few hours a week with it since I got it. In a variety of environments and conditions. From mild park dirt for clad to super iron infested, mineralized ground for relics and old coins.

For the last 70 hours or so on the machine, I've run it in Park 1 with the default disc, noise cancelled, ground pumped, FE2=2, Recovery = 4, 50 tone, sensitivity as high as stability will allow (18-24, depending).

When doing a quick after work cherry pick at a park, I don't dig anything 14-22 (I hate zincs...). And I'm very selective on the 12-13's I'll dig on that kind of hunt. In some parks, hunting like that, I don't dig many square tabs or beaver tails, but I dig a LOT of bottle caps. Solid two way lock ups in the high 20's. Coronas are the WORST! Very popular at the soccer fields too...

All that probably sounds like complaining. But, really, like I said, that's how I've learned the machine. Most of my best finds so far have been pulled out of trash. And some quite deep (by my standards). Good stuff seems to jump up out of the iron in relic sites. I'm really, really liking the machine.

The Legend... I think it looks hot as heck in the marketing material. But I don't think I'll end up with one. Not unless it proves to outperform the Nox, in say, iron infested ground. If such were to prove out, that will have more of my attention for sure.

If I didn't already have a Nox, given the apparent build quality and price of the Legend, all it has to do is equal the Nox in the field, and if I'm a new buyer, Legend is my new machine.

My favorite hunts are the old, iron carpeted sites. So I'm more keeping my eyes and ears on the Deus II. Even then, not as a replacement for my Nox, I've bonded with the little plastic beep stick, I'm keeping it.

Very interested in developments in the field with the Legend though.

- DAA

Had a chance to hear the tones from a link posted on another forum. Pretty sweet, I like em. They sound pretty close to Minelab tones. I wonder if there is any infringement issues. On the follow up video Dialek was going apeshit on the bashers and naysayers. It was a 16min. clip but after 4 minutes I found it too annoying to watch. Of the 4 minutes I did watch I found it somewhat unprofessional and although I appreciate her passion for the company and product she should know haters are going hate. Let them. The best way to deal with it is don't even acknowledge them because when you do it serves to validate their b.s. IMO the best thing her and Nokta could have done was release an in field video of the Legend in action and let the naysayers eat their words. That is if it is that good. I hope it is. Mark

Last edited:
Had a chance to hear the tones from a link posted on another forum. Pretty sweet, I like em. They sound pretty close to Minelab tones. I wonder if there is any infringement issues. On the follow up video Dialek was going apeshit on the bashers and naysayers. It was a 16min. clip but after 4 minutes I found it too annoying to watch. Of the 4 minutes I did watch I found it somewhat unprofessional and although I appreciate her passion for the company and product she should know haters are going hate. Let them. The best way to deal with it is don't even acknowledge them because when you do it serves to validate their b.s. IMO the best thing her and Nokta could have done was release an in field video of the Legend in action and let the naysayers eat their words. That is if it is that good. I hope it is. Mark

I have not really seen any haters posts yet. I have seen some that have doubts, but ya they did not really give us anything but some features to go with. I agree 100 percent if you don't show some field tests there are going to be doubters! I guess she just expected to announce the machine, show a few features and we were going to be blown away? I have been detecting since 1979 and it just does not work that way for me at least. I do not live in Missouri (THE SHOW ME STATE) but i am close enough to have the same philosophy. In my posts i have posted doubts but I also posted I hope it turns out to be a great machine too.

They have blatantly copied the Equinox's overall look with the Simplex. Now they are copying Minelab like tones with the Legend. Maybe it's a Tribute detector?

They have blatantly copied the Equinox's overall look with the Simplex. Now they are copying Minelab like tones with the Legend. Maybe it's a Tribute detector?

Well to be perfectly honest with what we have been shown so far,,,, one could come to that conclusion for sure. Time will tell though. Looking forward to some legit reviews.

Well to be perfectly honest with what we have been shown so far,,,, one could come to that conclusion for sure. Time will tell though. Looking forward to some legit reviews.

An online manual to download and read would be helpful too. That goes for any company who announces a new detector that's already available for preorder. I'm not just picking on N/M.

An online manual to download and read would be helpful too. That goes for any company who announces a new detector that's already available for preorder. I'm not just picking on N/M.

Almost pulled the trigger on one yesterday, I think lack of information was why I hesitated. I really hope this is a great machine but you have to ask yourself why aren't they telling you more. Is it my imagination or they being a little vague. On purpose or just an oversight. I'm still himhawing. Mark

Almost pulled the trigger on one yesterday, I think lack of information was why I hesitated. I really hope this is a great machine but you have to ask yourself why aren't they telling you more. Is it my imagination or they being a little vague. On purpose or just an oversight. I'm still himhawing. Mark

I have the same thoughts on this.
The pro pack is actually a good deal with the extra coil and battery.
I would like to preorder one but I am hesitating until some are out in the field.
Once they are delivered, opinions will be out quickly.
People will work them hard in just a few days and the videos will be posted.
It may seem like a small nitpicking thing but I wish they had made the vdi numbers equivalent to ML. When most hunting partners use ML and you want to compare numbers, it makes things a lot easier.

As far as the Legend goes I'm open minded, but why do people think a company that has never brought a SMF machine to market can expect them to put out a machine that will surpass the SMF detectors made by a company that has been doing it for over a decade?

Please tell me why you would think this is possible.

Well.....because if it were not possible we would still be driving the Model T or at least
only a version of a automobile that Ford came up with. There's a term called "Technology Leapfrogging" Google it.
It's how technology advances faster than it normally would. And we all benefit from it.

Just because Company X came up with some technology and has used it for 10 years your
saying that it's not possible for some other company to come up with just as good or
better technology......I mean, Company X did it...didn't they?

Well.....because if it were not possible we would still be driving the Model T or at least
only a version of a automobile that Ford came up with. There's a term called "Technology Leapfrogging" Google it.
It's how technology advances faster than it normally would. And we all benefit from it.

Just because Company X came up with some technology and has used it for 10 years your
saying that it's not possible for some other company to come up with just as good or
better technology......I mean, Company X did it...didn't they?

I'm saying Nokta/Makro, XP, Garrett, Fisher, etc. have had years to come out with some kind of Multi-Frequency detector. It must not be that easy to do. Whites had one that was supposedly not an easy machine to use. I don't think they sold that many of them.

While every company was concentrating on single frequency detectors Minelab starting way back in the 1990's was building multi-frequency detectors, and have continued to improve it. The later Explorers, Etrac, CTX, Equinox, and even the lower cost Vanquish have proven they know how to do it. The others haven't even tried until now. That makes them very late to the party, yet now it seems they are eager to jump on the band wagon.

So that's why I'm more than a little skeptical about anyone of these companies making a SMF on the first try that will surpass what's already out there in the field now. What if, and this is a big what if. Maybe some of Minelabs patents have expired and these other companies are putting out a new detector using their old tech? Are these companies just putting out an SMF just to say they have one?

So in a few weeks or months we will know if it's that easy to make a SMF that can compete with the ones Minelabs been making for years.

I have the same thoughts on this.
The pro pack is actually a good deal with the extra coil and battery.
I would like to preorder one but I am hesitating until some are out in the field.
Once they are delivered, opinions will be out quickly.
People will work them hard in just a few days and the videos will be posted.
It may seem like a small nitpicking thing but I wish they had made the vdi numbers equivalent to ML. When most hunting partners use ML and you want to compare numbers, it makes things a lot easier.

Good or bad, someone will order one, play with it 5 minutes then got to the local park, find nothing, and list it the same day for sale! I have seen this over and over the last 40 plus years of detecting and you can save a little money versus a new one.

I'm saying Nokta/Makro, XP, Garrett, Fisher, etc. have had years to come out with some kind of Multi-Frequency detector. It must not be that easy to do. Whites had one that was supposedly not an easy machine to use. I don't think they sold that many of them.

While every company was concentrating on single frequency detectors Minelab starting way back in the 1990's was building multi-frequency detectors, and have continued to improve it. The later Explorers, Etrac, CTX, Equinox, and even the lower cost Vanquish have proven they know how to do it.

The others haven't even tried until now. That makes them very late to the party, yet now it seems they are eager to jump on the band wagon.
So that's why I'm more than a little skeptical about anyone of these companies making a SMF on the first try that will surpass what's already out there in the field now.

What if, and this is a big what if. Maybe some of Minelabs patents have expired and these other companies are putting out a new detector using their old tech? Are these companies just putting out an SMF just to say they have one?

So in a few weeks or months we will know if it's that easy to make a SMF that can compete with the ones Minelabs been making for years.

Yes, I understand what your saying but why would being late to the party or being eager
to jump on the band wagon now, make you skeptical that they could do just as good of a
job or better? Even if they are leap frogging off of current technology, who cares. Its not
illegal if the patents are expired. Technology Leap Frogging is real and it is why we have
such awesome technology today.

Even if Nokta is leapfrogging that would be more of a reason not to be skeptical about the
possibility of them coming up with something just as good if not better.

And then lets say they are not leap frogging. (which would explain why it's taken a while
for them to come up with it on their own).....is it really that difficult for engineers to
eventually figure out how to make frequencies work at the same time. I mean were talking
about frequencies here not cold fusion.

I guess I lean toward the attitude of I really dont care.
If the smf works on the Legend plus with all the other cool features it offers and at
the price they are selling it at.......I'll be adding a new detector to my arsenal....Life is good :)

I am really enjoying all this "corporate" competition between the different manufacturers. It took a while but it looks like all of them are realizing that smf is not just another fad and is here to stay.

Last edited:
Minelab said the Equinox obsoletes all single frequency VLF detectors. That was a bold statement at the time. It was poo-pooed by a lot of folks. Did it? Well 3 other companies have now joined Minelab in the SMF game because of the Equinox/Vanquish. Evolve or die I guess.

And Fisher has been selling multi frequency detectors before minelab was a company

Yeah well that's something I didn't know, but obviously there is a reason I didn't know ;)

I think "multi frequency" is not the same as "simultaneous multi frequency".
Fisher might have "dual" but not "multi".
The Fishers with "dual" as in 2 frequencies weighed over 6 pounds according to Fisher's own specs.
Twice the weight of the Equinox and Vanquish series detectors.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom